An Old School Catholic Message Board

Deciding Your Vocation

sunnysideup

That's really useful, thankyou.

I was considering in taking a year out after doing all my exams, but i hadnt decided whether to go to uni or not.

Can i please ask you (if you dont mind) how old you are and what you studied?

I was keen on doing theology but im aware that one needs to be cautious if doing so, and i thought i might do Italian......

you can obviously see my head is all mixed up atm!!!!

Thankyou

love and prayers also

imogen

cathoholic_anonymous

Hi Imogen,

Welcome to PM. :) I'm also from England. It's nice to see another British type on board.

I'm twenty years old and I'm still at university. I'm studying English literature and linguistics, dabbling in French on the side. University has been no impediment to my discernment whatsoever - we have a thriving Catholic chaplaincy here and a very popular vocational discernment group. Just being in the company of other young Catholics who are seriously considering the religious life has helped me more than I can say.

I knew that I had to study before entering the religious life. I love my work and feel sure that I could use it to the betterment of my community when I enter at last. It's a question of listening to what God wants you to do. PP's advice about a gap year is good. You could apply for courses that interest you (it would be possibly to study theology and Italian together at some places, you know) and spend the intervening twelve months in serious prayer and discernment. If you find a community that you feel drawn to, ask the sisters there for advice. If they think that it would be better for you to go to university first...the convent or monastery won't run away in the meantime.

Most communities that I know do prefer candidates for the religious life to have some further education or training before entering, but they are prepared to make exceptions. They will look at you as an individual, as this isn't like a job where you have to have a certain set of qualifications - it's a calling. The sisters understand that better than any of us. :)

thankyou......i'm just unsure about universities and been sidetracked from what i feel is more important. For example, i dont do half the stuff i should because an essay needs doing, or revision should be started.......i just feel that i want to break from school and do things i dont normally have time for. i think i will probably end up at uni, even if it ends up just being a MFL...
i needed to know what other ppl were doing in similar situations.

thanks again for your help, all that you and PP have said is really helpful!!!!!

imogen :)

puellapaschalis

I read for an MSci in Maths at London. I can't say that our chaplaincy was as good as it could have been - the place was very keen on ecumenism, so much so in fact that it was taken too far in some aspects (which had the Bishop's approval, albeit, and what the heck do I know anyway?). It certainly wasn't the shining time that it could have been had there been a better chaplaincy there, but I don't for one moment regret it: I love the subject and feel very privileged to have been able to devote four years to it.

PP

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

For me it all began with a simple question at my first experience with religious.

"Have you ever thought about the religious life?"

It was at the Here I Am Lord conference in St. Charles, IL at the very first one. I, being the collector that I am, was walking about, table to table, taking prayer cards and whatever it was that I could take. There was something going on at that point and most of the religious were not at their tables, but there were some Sisters still at their table. I walked by, and they asked me the question. To be honest, I had been there nearly all day by that time, and the thought never crossed my mind. But that question was pointed to me, and it made me think. It got me thinking, and kept me thinking all through high school, even though after returning home from the conference I sat down and attempted to tell my parents about it and was greeted with a quite stern proclamation "you will not be a nun." That was the most talk of the religious vocation for at least a few years. But the Lord called more and more, He would not let me be. Sure, there were times that it seemed that the calling faded, but it always came back and left me thinking. As I told others at my Parish, I found support and even recommendations of the Poor Clares in Rockford, but I swept the idea to the side for the time being and found myself in a rather passive state of discernment.

After sometime, the Lockport Dominicans contacted me, and the issue of the religious life appeared again at home. This time it was getting permission to go to Louisiana alone to visit for an extended weekend. It was a bit of a battle, but God ended up winning and I was able to visit. It was my very first visit and first serious look into discerning communities. It stirred up my discernment that I had allowed to sit for quite some time. It was there that I found the Poor Clares again, this time in a book of religious communities in the US. I penned a letter to send to the Sisters once I got back home. My time in Louisiana was really a turning point in life and especially in discernment.

It was shortly after that I was able to visit Rockford. It was quite beautiful and I had arrived on a Friday afternoon, in the middle of benediction. It was amazing and I looked into Jesus there in the Most Blessed Sacrament, and I felt as though I were a fish, and He had a line right to my heart and was tugging and would continue tugging until I was His. I immediately felt at home and peaceful. Although I asked God to provide me with a favorite food to show that this is where He wanted me. I admit, it was a silly little thing to do, but while there I had a kiwi, which I love and had not had for quite sometime, but I also had beets, which I honestly cannot eat without gagging, although I am a little better about it now. I thought of it more as a sign that this is it, but it will not be easy. The Sisters were absolutely wonderful and amazing and after a few visits, I was able to meet them all. Each Sister beautiful, with a gleaming personality that differed greatly! Each visit leaves me renewed and peaceful. I love the way that the Lord has done all that He has for me, although it takes hindsight to see just how wonderful these things are.

I guess there is more to elaborate on in the story, but that is the basic happenings in my discernment.
God bless!

Ora et Labora

These stories are really cool!! I am still discerning as well, and I guess you could say it's become more difficult for me because of a certain boy, :rolleyes: But, I realized just yesterday or the day before, after seeing him just recently that it would probably never work out with us because of certain problems we've been having. And also, if one is discerning, I think not having a boy friend is the better road. I went to confession at OLAM with Fr. Joseph Mary Wolf (maybe some of you have heard of him) and he said I had definite signs to the religious life. I completely know what it feels like to visit a community and feel completely at peace there. Any holy community has given me the same peace of heart!! I visited the Benedictine monks in Oklahoma at the Clear Creek Monastery and their monastic life and silent living was a beautiful thing to see. :) I have been able to visit a few religious communities at my young age (17) because of my supportive parents. I have been on a vocations retreat at the Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist (SSME) in Michigan, and I have been an aspirant at OLAM (Our Lady of the Angels Monastery) in Alabama, and my whole family has also been able to visit with the Dominican nuns in Marbaury, Alabama (I also sang for them...haha.) I have also been able to meet a few of the Daughters of St. Paul when they came to my house for dinner. So, being around so many great religious (including the wonderful Friars in Alabama) has really made me think about giving my life to a community like so many of these happy people have done. :) I don't think that has helped anyone since I haven't decided anything yet, but I thought I would share.

Edited by Ora et Labora

Mine is copied from another thread as well. But I wanted to share :rolleyes:

It started in third grade.....I wanted to be a nun so badly. By fourth grade, I was convinced I was crazy and that was the wrong path. Never thought about it again.

Fast forward to high school, senior year. Went on a 3 day retreat and had an awesome, powerful encounter with God. I suppose that's why the retreat was called "Encounter". Realized I was not being true to myself or to who I was, that I was hiding who I really was from the rest of the world. Never thought about religious life. Promised myself no matter what, I'd be honest with me. Decided on an accounting major for college.

Went to college, wanted to change majors badly freshman year. I wanted to double major in Philosophy and Theology. Why I didn't is still a mystery. I thought about it, and said to myself, why in the world would I want to do that when I could only use it as a teacher?! And then, only priests and religious do things like major in Philosophy and Theology. Yeah.....God was calling and I ignored.

Graduated in May 2005 with my Accounting degree and started working. I was in my job for 3 months, and studying for the CPA exam when I became restless and unhappy. My best friend is studying to be a priest, so I started talking to him more about it. Went to a Eucharistic celebration in Philadelphia, where the entire archdiocese was gathered outside. What an amazing experience! SO POWERFUL! God began tugging at my heart.....Then strange things, which now I know were signs from God, started happening. I got scared, and started talking to my pastor, who is now my spiritual director. This was September 2005.

The idea of religious life came up, and I yelled at him to never bring it up again. The next time we met, I was the one to suggest it. Ironic isn't it?! lol

Started praying more often, going to daily Mass, praying the rosary, etc. Every time I thought I heard God calling, I ran away and made a sprint in the opposite direction. Running from God is NOT a good idea..... because HE catches up!

I finally got tired of running, and gave in. My spiritual director put me in touch with the Vocation Directress at the IHM's. By now, it was July 2006. Scared and completely freaking out by what this whole thing could lead to, I went to meet her.

I walked into the Motherhouse and felt such an overwhelming peacefulness and happiness. God was tugging at my heart even stronger now, and I couldn't run anymore. I wanted to stay there forever!

Began meeting with both the Vocation Directress and my Spiritual Director on a regular basis and the vocation just grew from there.

Told my mom in late July 2006 and my dad in August. Dad was beyond thrilled and happy, mom said to give it a try. Both are very supportive. My sister I told in September. Rough road there, but she has made superb progress in supporting me.

I guess it's been a pretty fast track for me. The IHM's just felt right. I wanted an order that was active and teaching was becoming attractive to me. Not to mention they are close to home!

I formally applied on December 13, 2006, the feast of St. Lucy. I knew that St. Lucy is the patron saint of the blind, eye problems, etc. but didn't put it together about "seeing" my vocation and the feast day until I was signing my name to begin the application process. I was completely blown away!

It took me about 3 months to finish the application, and now I am having my psychological feedback on Monday, May 7. And then the waiting begins. I hit some rough spots in the process, and got thrown off track a few times, but the idea of religious life never went away. It's still overwhelming to think that I am planning to enter the convent!

:lol_roll: I still can't believe it!

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='Ora et Labora' post='1265364' date='May 5 2007, 03:42 PM']very awesome!! :thumbsup: so, what does IHM stand for??[/quote]
I think it stands for Immaculate Heart of Mary, but I could be wrong...

Yes, the order I applied with is the Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary (IHM for short) in Immaculata, PA. I think they are also in Scranton, PA and Michigan (maybe?). Not really sure of the other locations.

Here's my vocation story...
I wanted to be a sister in 2nd and 3rd grade, but in the middle school years that idea faded. In my sophomore year of high school I joined a program at my community that allowed me to go on retreats at the Motherhouse and meet with a sister for some spiritual direction. I joined that program to be open to God's will. At the end of high school, however, I didn't really think about entering the convent and went to a public college. When I was nineteen, a sophomore in college, one amazing week God flooded my soul with great graces using St. Therese the Little Flower. I received graces of understanding deeply much about doing God's will and even desiring suffering. During that week I was shoveling snow (I was from Wis. and it was January) and I looked up at the sky which was pure blue. I love children and it was giving them up that seemed to me the greatest sacrifice of becoming a sister. As I looked at the sky, I thought, 'How many years would you have the joy of having children? Maybe 50?" (I wanted lots of kids:) Then I thought, "What is that compared to all of eternity?" and the sacrifice seemed so small that I said 'yes!'
And the older you are and the more you live the life of a sister the smaller the sacrifice becomes. It is the most precious gift God can give to a woman to call her to be His own!

• 5 weeks later...
LouisvilleFan

[quote name='happynun' post='1227829' date='Apr 2 2007, 10:56 PM']By Senior year, I realized that I would have to make a decision, and after a roller coaster of yes/no, I decided that I would have to give religious life a go, and here's what made up my mind: I went to babysit for a couple. The woman was 34. They had two boys, nice kids, and fun to be with. The lady asked me once, "So, what are you going to do after high school?" I said, "Well, I'm not sure, I guess I'll just go to college and study to be a nurse, or something....I know it's funny, but I have these great nuns at my school, and sometimes I think of joining them, but I'm not sure." (Little did she know that the next thing she said would make up my mind~!) So she said, "Hey, that's funny. I used to think the same thing, and sometimes, I STILL WONDER IF THAT'S WHAT I SHOULD HAVE DONE." So, needless to say, I did NOT want to wind up 34 and having missed the boat on a vocation...I entered that year![/quote]

It's neat to see God work through our imperfectness... my spiritual director has a charity to help men in Africa pay for seminary, which he was inspired to start because of a guy who couldn't afford to complete seminary and ended up getting married. When you think about it, so many more men have become priests who wouldn't have because this one guy left the seminary. It's reassuring to know that we really can't screw it up as long as we're trusting God (heck, even if you aren't trusting God, He'll set you straight sooner or later).