An Old School Catholic Message Board

Attack, Defend, Defeat!

Aloysius

I am a radical opposer to political correctness and linguistic sanitation. As such, I do not feel it necessary to remove words like "attack" and "defeat" from debates. I feel that's just another ineffective language-sanitation technique; as faulty as the idea that we can acheive gender equality by forcing people to use "him or her". it is no more effective to make us replace words which make debates lively in warfare allegory with more political correct terms like "clarify" and "discuss"

haha... no offence to Bro Adam's site or anything. It's a perfectly fine thing not to have bad attitudes about debate, but I do enjoy the livliness of the presumed warfare analogy.

oh... and I don't mean to come off as pompous or arrogant... haha... I just don't feel the need to alter my vocabulary in this manner. feel free to try to convince me that I should alter it here.

I always like to refer to the [url="http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=51&chapter=17&version=49&context=chapter"]example of St. Paul[/url].

And always follow the old Catholic principle: "In doubtful things, liberty. In essential things, unity. In all things, charity." Even if the other guy is clearly wrong, be charitable. If you're going into a debate with the mindset "[i]I[/i] must win!" you're missing the point.

Apologetics is not about winning, and not even about defending the faith. Jesus said something about the fires of hell never prevailing against the Church, remember? The Bride of Christ doesn't need you to defend her, she has the King of the Universe to do that. The point of apologetics is to convince and convert, and you'll convert far more with carrots than sticks.

In sum, ideas of "defeating your opponent" and "winning the fight" miss the goal of apologetics: revealing truth. Make sure you're always [i]Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam[/i] and never [i]Ad Majorem Mei Gloriam[/i].

My two cents. :)

Mateo el Feo

I found this to be a helpful book: [url="http://www.amazon.com/How-Not-Share-Your-Faith/dp/1888992301"]"How Not to Share Your Faith: The Seven Deadly Sins of Apologetics" by Mark Brumley[/url]

I understand how you shouldn't have the wrong mindset. But I still stand by the use of terms like "attack" and "defeat" in the midst of arguments.

the phrase in question that sparked this thread, for anyone who doesn't know, was something like "I shall let the fathers of the Council of Trent defeat you there". I think it's a perfectly legitimate phrase... what would you have me say? "The fathers of the Council of Trent clearly indicate your incorrectitude on this issue"? blah, I say the Council defeats him and I stick to that.

[quote name='Aloysius' post='1222434' date='Mar 29 2007, 08:55 PM']I understand how you shouldn't have the wrong mindset. But I still stand by the use of terms like "attack" and "defeat" in the midst of arguments.

the phrase in question that sparked this thread, for anyone who doesn't know, was something like "I shall let the fathers of the Council of Trent defeat you there". I think it's a perfectly legitimate phrase... what would you have me say? "The fathers of the Council of Trent clearly indicate your incorrectitude on this issue"? blah, I say the Council defeats him and I stick to that.[/quote]
So what is the "defender" to do now? Go home and weep, conquered? How does that bring him any closer to the truth?

It might be more [i]charitable[/i] (charity being our greatest of virtues) to say "While you make an interesting argument, the fathers of the Council of Trent addressed the issue." There's no need to tear down someone's argument, just to correct their statements and guide them to the truth.

It's not so much about "political correctness" as it is having Christian charity. Read what St. Paul said in Acts as I quoted above. He didn't say "Dude, you pagans are just [i]wrong[/i]. Jesus is Lord and you are defeated." He praised them for their seeking of truth and then guided them to it. He had no need to attack anyone.

EcceNovaFacioOmni

I try to avoid charged words if I am making a case to someone. I think it is unecessary and could jeopardize my efforts. But that's my style and I suppose a more firm approach is appropriate in certain circumstances.

And so now, apparently, it's uncharitable to speak of arguments as attacking and defeating other arguments, is it? That's ridiculous.

I never advocated the fundamentalist bible-beating way of argument saying "oh you're just wrong"; I'm just sayin that these phrases are perfectly accurate. You should attack and defeat the other argument in a debate; and that is what this is: a debate.

you're charecturizing my argument as uncharitable based on this arbitrary use of words; just like people charecturize people as sexist for their arbitrary use of words. it's absolutely ridiculous to make it seem like I'm doing anything other than 1) attempting to bring better understanding on all sides and 2) letting the published record show the side I am advocating as correct so that all that read it will be convinced of the truth. I don't see any problem with the use of "defeat" in this context.

[quote name='thedude' post='1222479' date='Mar 29 2007, 09:59 PM']I try to avoid charged words if I am making a case to someone. I think it is unecessary and could jeopardize my efforts. But that's my style and I suppose a more firm approach is appropriate in certain circumstances.[/quote]
exactly.

Just an iota, I think Aloysius has a point. But we gotta remember one is attacking the idea, not the person. Show much respect for the person but feel free to lay siege to the other's argument if it is that sort of thing. Unfortunately though, there is no such thing as a 'gentleman's' war anymore. People take offense easily. I dunno... just use proper judgment for the circumstances.

Avoid this stuff?

#3 by far is the most widely used...

[quote]
* 1: Rubberstamp technique

Regurgitate Catholic doctrine without providing any scriptural proof,
Otherwise, known as propaganda.

* 2: Cut-and-paste technique

Find the closest doctrinal defense on an "Catholic Answers" website,
stick it into your clipboard and post away.
Upon receiving a scriptural rebuttal,
switch the topic to Catholic infallibility
and then utilize the rubber-stamp technique.

[b]* 3: Accusation of hate technique

Insist vehemently that your opponent is full of hate.
It is always advisable to paint your opponent as hateful.
This technique should always contain a reference,
to your extreme caringness and the limitless bounds of your great humility.[/b]

* 4: Mystery interpretation technique

Any text can mean anything when interpreted under the
mystical interpretation technique.
Use this to your advantage then utilize the rubber-stamp technique.
Most often used with Eucharistic defenses.
Symbolic? No! Literal? No! Mysterious?
What else can you do?

* 5: Words without meaning technique

If you are receiving any roadblocks by any particular word
you previously gave in your apologetic,
or if what you've described is the definition of a word
detrimental to your defense,
simply deny the basic word meaning of the troubling term.
Due to its effectiveness,
this apologetic has become so popular
that it has been adopted by the President.

* 6. Bait and Switch technique

If your apologetics are being shot down repeatedly,
it is because you are staying on one topic for too long.
In the Catholic apologetics arena,
it is always a good idea to present a moving target.
If your perpetual virginity defense is becoming an embarrassment,
switch it to a virgin birth defense,
pretend your opponent has denied it
and act outraged at his heresy.[/list]

* 7: Attack Sola Scriptura technique

Put forth that scripture is only one of the sources of God's revelation.
However, due to the overwhelming levels of contradictory doctrines,
Of the Early Day Church Fathers
this will usually have to be accompanied
with the rubber-stamping technique.

* 8: Attack Martin Luther technique

This can be used as a companion apologetic to the
Attack Sola Scriptura technique.
Always refer to your opponent as a Protestant to imply
that “Biblical Christianity” began with the "Reformation."
Insist the opponent is a follower of Martin Luther,
or one of the other Reformers,
Do not accept any denials of this.
Rubber-stamp him as a follower of Heresy if they deny this accusation.

* 9: Stalking technique

Harass the Christian until he becomes a Catholic.
Can utilize any of the other above methods.
The object is to fill their e-mail and guestbooks daily with Catholic apologetics.
When your opponent will no longer respond to you,
insist that he is afraid to debate you.
Continue to harass them until they denounce speaking out against Catholicism
or you are at risk of losing your ISP account for a second time.
If you are about to lose your ISP a second time,
pass the baton over to a fellow Catholic apologist.

* 10: Babbling technique

Remember when you were a kid.
If you closed your eyes, danger would go away.
This technique is a variation on that theme.
When backed into a corner,
begin babbling about anything remotely related to the topic on hand and the opponent may forget
that you were ever engaged in a debate in the first place.
With all the other fine Apologetic techniques available,
this one is usually not advised.[/quote]

cmotherofpirl

But Budge you forgot your favorite tactic on that list: making accusations against the Church, ignoring all the responses proving you wrong, than starting a new attack on a different topic.

KnightofChrist

I think the worse is rather

The Duck and Run technique.

Find some off the wall accusation on an "Catholicism is Evil" website,
stick it into your clipboard and post away.
Upon receiving a scriptural rebuttal,
answer with silence, and run away.

Edited by KnightofChrist

[quote]making accusations against the Church, ignoring all the responses proving you wrong[/quote]

Proving you wrong.

Ever think I see that differently?

Even I have limited internet time and considering Im talking to 20 people here on the other side, I couldnt answer every single point even if I tried.

Theres one guy that posted a bunch of James verses about works, that did give me a run for my money but even there, works COME out of FAITH. They do not save, they are a FRUIT of FAITH.
[quote]Find some off the wall accusation on an "Catholicism is Evil" website,
stick it into your clipboard and post away.[/quote]

But I sincerely believe Catholicism is evil...{NOT CATHOLIC PEOPLE} but the false religion.

So why wouldnt I post something off a Catholicism is evil website?

Wouldnt you post something off a MORMONISM is evil website?

or is that too unecumenical even though they are preaching that lucifer is Jesus's brother?

Mateo el Feo

[quote name='Budge' post='1222658' date='Mar 29 2007, 11:59 PM']But I sincerely believe Catholicism is evil...{NOT CATHOLIC PEOPLE} but the false religion.[/quote]I sincerely believe the Independent Fundamentalist Baptist church is evil...{NOT INDEPENDENT FUNDAMENTALIST BAPTIST PEOPLE} but the false religion.

Wait a sec...the Independent Fundamentalist Baptists can't agree on anything anyway. Nevermind.