An Old School Catholic Message Board

Would You..."take -communion-" Elsewhere?

Bruce S

the RITE of communion is common to most denominations.

The ONLY real difference is the the ENTITY saying the "magic words"

I'm trying to show what is key here, the ACT or the DENOMINATION ??

I think that point is being made, perfectly.

I think you miss the point.

Catholics believe that the bread and wine turn into Christ's body and blood, literally. It is the focal point of every mass. It is our duty as faithful Christians to defend His body. The Church has been defending this holy sacrament for 2000 years.

It's not a question, for us, of what "denomination" you are talking about. It's a matter of acknowledging what is actually happening during the consecration of the Eucharist. And yes--we believe that only ordained members of the Holy Apostolic Catholic Church have been given the power to make this happen--as it is the only way that we can assure that His body remain protected.

... If you are a Baptist you are not permitted to take communion in Lutheran, Catholic, most Methodist, CRC, or Church of God In Christ churches, ...

Hi There Br Adam, been a long time;

.... why is this?

Hi There Br Adam, been a long time;

.... why is this?

i believe they also see it as a symbol of communion, even if it's not a true sign like with us, they still want it to symbolize that all ppl partaking of it don't disagree with each other...

... And if you did, would you think you had "Partaken in a VALID" ceremony? ...

Any ceremony is "Valid" to the presenter and those who share their views, therefore the Protestant act of a remembrance ceremony is valid to them and to me as well. But if you were to come to Mass with your intent and tryed to participate in "Christs Communion" I would take exception.

i believe they also see it as a symbol of communion, even if it's not a true sign like with us, they still want it to symbolize that all ppl partaking of it don't disagree with each other...

I see, thanks

For a Catholic to participate in a non-Catholic communion service would be a sham. The Eucharist is the sacrament of unity, and there can be no true unity among Christians as long as these differences exist. So no, I'd do what the Catholic Church says and not participate.

hyperdulia again

even IF they believe (as some high church anglicans do) they don't have apostolic succession, so essentially what you have is a piece of bread and some grape juice/wine...i have those things at home.

I do not think it would be proper to take such a communion. Not because it is invalid worship or prayer, but to do so would mean that I agree with the tenants of the church that I was visiting. Thus if I took it, it would be a lie. Lieing is not Ecumenical at all. Unum Sint!

All of the protestant churches I attended had no problem with people taking communion in other churches, except in Catholic churches, although I was never told the reason why! The anglican vicar in the church where I was raised as a child was one of the most strongest in saying protestants should not take communion in Catholic churches.

Brother Adam,

I wonder if Baptist churches in the UK are different to the US and Australia since there was never a problem about taking communion in Methodist or Anglican churches, just a major issue with my Anglican baptism being regarded as invalid. I was also allowed to take communion in the Baptist church before I had a full immersion baptism! That seems odd now given that communion is regarded as being in communion with all the church believes - I had understood it to be a symbolic act of remembrance of the Last Supper and therefore open to all Christians.

All of the protestant churches I attended had no problem with people taking communion in other churches, except in Catholic churches, although I was never told the reason why! The anglican vicar in the church where I was raised as a child was one of the most strongest in saying protestants should not take communion in Catholic churches.

is it a respect issue? like at my college there were a lot of eastern orthodox peeps whose particular church was not found anywhere near my school, I'm specifically talking about the ones that were either Antiochian or Indian. They were told by their priests back at home to attend Mass on Sundays with the Catholics or go to the Divine Liturgy with the Greek Orthodox but not to take communion in those churches unless specific permission was granted

1. for the reasons already mentioned and

2. because Catholics and G.O. ask that non members of their respective communion partake in the Eucharist.

I also think it's a little bit wierd that a baptism in the name of the F, the S, and the HS would be considered invalid by Baptists. My best pal is a Baptist and they made him get re-baptised when he converted for the same reason.

M.Sigga, you mean respect from the anglican vicar I mentioned? I don't think so in his particular case - he refused to baptise me as a child because one of my godparents at the time was catholic, even though the anglican church was 'high church'. I wasn't baptised until I was 14 when the church had a new vicar - sadly my catholic godparent had disappeared by then too!

I don't know if it's 'a matter of respect', though it would be good if it was, or a belief that 'the other side has got it wrong'! The difference in understanding of the Eucharist between protestant and catholics is huge. It's quite a jump for people converting isn't it, especially since it is central to the faith.

Certainly the baptists in the UK only recognise full immersion as being a valid baptism. When I attended this denomiantion for a while I was very politely led to believe that my anglican baptism was not valid and I should be 're-baptised' by full immersion.

Edited by Ellenita

I wonder if Baptist churches in the UK are different to the US and Australia

Most other services actually use the word "symbol" or stress doing it in the memory of Jesus, hardly any still maintain the real presence from the early church of history. Only those who maintain an apostolic priesthood do so because of a belief in the real presence. I have no use in having a symbol between me and God.

As for the question about the differences between baptists... it is worse here in the states where baptists churches vary from pastor to pastor within the same town. There is no incentive for unity for protestant denominations since it is only important to be godly and sincere while interpreting the Bible, and everybody reads the same words differently and asking the author (the Catholic writers) is out of the question. (that's like interpreting tax laws without a government.

Yours,

RUN- D.R.E.

the RITE of communion is common to most denominations.

The ONLY real difference is the the ENTITY saying the "magic words"

I'm trying to show what is key here, the ACT or the DENOMINATION ??

I think that point is being made, perfectly.

This is exactly what is meant by John 6:66

This is a question that I struggle with pretty deeply. As the only (soon to be) Catholic in my family, I see the Eucharist becoming a dividing point between us in a very real way. If I attend my parents' church, and communion is served, I can't in good conscience take it. I also have many close Protestant friends, who again I am not able to commune with.

Even though I haven't fully been received into the Catholic church yet, I am in agreement with the church's teachings on the Eucharist. Taking communion in a Protestant church would imply a unity that no longer exists between me and my friends and family.

But that doesn't mean it's easy not to take, because these are people I love deeply, and I long to be able to be in full communion with them. I've gone to a couple of Protestant services since making the decision to convert, and not partaken of communion. At those moments, I feel deeply what it means to have "separated brethren," and I use the time to pray for unity in the church.