An Old School Catholic Message Board

Would You..."take -communion-" Elsewhere?

Bruce S

Just a little topic. But one that will illuminated a very important point.

Catholics.

If you were visiting a friend, and he took you to his Protestant church, would you take "Communion" if they offered it that day?

And if you did, would you think you had "Partaken in a VALID" ceremony?

And if NO, why not?

Kilroy the Ninja

No. I would not take "communion" at a Protestent ceremony because I do not believe it is a "valid" ceremony.

cmotherofpirl

I would never participate in a protestant ceremony, although I have been to them as an observer. I would never take part in any communion, because it is simply bread. I do enjoy the singing.

I would not take part in their communion for several reasons:

I am not part of their community, i.e. not IN communion with them. I do not hold common all of their beliefs.

It would cheapen my belief in the True Communion of Christ's body and blood.

It gives THEM a false sense of how important valid communion is within the Catholic Church.

By taking communion in a Protestant church, it would show a false sense of approval and acceptance of what they are doing. I believe that Christ's instructions for us were literal when he told us to eat his body and drink his blood. Protestantism has taken this command--this holy sacrament--and cheapened it. By participating in such a direct violation of Christ's instructions would cause scandal and a false sense of unity, which doesn't exist.

I would never participate in a protestant ceremony, although I have been to them as an observer. I would never take part in any communion, because it is simply bread. I do enjoy the singing.

Same here. On the few occasions that I've been to protestant services (weddings, CSBA outings), when they pass the bread/wine around, I simply pass the tray along to the next person in the pew.

One of the things we as Catholics believe is that Eucharist is a sign of unity with those we partake it with. Sadly, we are not united.

By taking communion in a Protestant church, it would show a false sense of approval and acceptance of what they are doing. I believe that Christ's instructions for us were literal when he told us to eat his body and drink his blood. Protestantism has taken this command--this holy sacrament--and cheapened it. By participating in such a direct violation of Christ's instructions would cause scandal and a false sense of unity, which doesn't exist.

What he said.

CatholicAndFanatical

I would never partake in communion because like the others said, it would lessen the true meaning of Christ in the Eucharist. Its not valid and in my humble opinion is a total mockery of what Jesus wanted.

the RITE of communion is common to most denominations.

The ONLY real difference is the the ENTITY saying the "magic words"

I'm trying to show what is key here, the ACT or the DENOMINATION ??

I think that point is being made, perfectly.

As a Catholic Stu Union President I participated in the services of the different different Christian denominations clubs on campus (Baptist, Methodist, Independent, Episcopalian, Orthodox etc) and I was sometimes a speaker, a reader or a gift bearer, but I never took part in their communion b/c I believe communion is a Sacrament. I didn't recieve communion from the Orthodox either even though they also celebrate the Sacrament. That doesn't mean we couldn't pray together or fellowship in praise. Since student services were sort of all-Christian inclusive I really really liked the preaching. I also really liked the singing.

Bruce,

Your usage of the term "magic words" is dually noted. Just shows that you continue to misrepresent Catholic teaching, knowingly.

Also, if someone is not doing the act CORRECTLY, that is, with a valid priesthood offering a true sacrifice, then it's not as simple as you say it is.

Would you consider a person who has not received a Trinitarian baptism ("in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit") to have undergone a Baptism as God had instituted (for example, baptised only in the name of Jesus)? Why or why not?

Edited by DojoGrant

What's the important point you are trying to illustrate. I doubt these responses come as a shock.

Exactly my sentiments.

Bruce is a baiter and a hater. hahahaha.

He just wants to see us "fight".

Good job Bruce! ;)

the RITE of communion is common to most denominations.

The ONLY real difference is the the ENTITY saying the "magic words"

I'm trying to show what is key here, the ACT or the DENOMINATION ??

I think that point is being made, perfectly.

Most churches I know of practice closed communion. If you are a Baptist you are not permitted to take communion in Lutheran, Catholic, most Methodist, CRC, or Church of God In Christ churches, to name a few.