An Old School Catholic Message Board

Protestantism And The Bible

theculturewarrior

theculturewarrior

[quote name='desertwoman' post='1216751' date='Mar 20 2007, 10:55 PM']I guess it boils down to Acts 8:30-31. Someone does have to help teach another how to interpret scripture, and it does come from people in authority... ie the apostles like Mathew, Mark, and so on.[/quote]

We believe the bishops are the successors of the Apostles. Saint Paul was a successor of the original 12.

theculturewarrior

Just for the record, the entire Bible has been interpreted by the Fathers and Church Doctors, but key passages are dogmatic in nature.

desertwoman

[quote name='theculturewarrior' post='1216838' date='Mar 21 2007, 10:47 AM']We believe the bishops are the successors of the Apostles. Saint Paul was a successor of the original 12.[/quote]

Right and I believe this as well, for they went to the corners of the earth to preach the good news of Christ Crucified. We have your Coptics, Antiochean, and so on and so forth.

Mateo el Feo

[quote name='theculturewarrior' post='1216840' date='Mar 21 2007, 10:50 AM']Just for the record, the entire Bible has been interpreted by the Fathers and Church Doctors, but key passages are dogmatic in nature.[/quote]Just FYI, we've all been through this letter with Budge before. She spammed us with it a while ago. Apparently, she's had some memory loss, since she seems to have forgotten our response.

[url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=54792"]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=54792[/url]

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Mateo el Feo' post='1216996' date='Mar 21 2007, 05:26 PM']Just FYI, we've all been through this letter with Budge before. She spammed us with it a while ago. Apparently, she's had some memory loss, since she seems to have forgotten our response.

[url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=54792"]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=54792[/url][/quote]

That or she's running out of new material, it happens to every comic eventually...

theculturewarrior

[quote name='desertwoman' post='1216994' date='Mar 21 2007, 06:15 PM']Right and I believe this as well, for they went to the corners of the earth to preach the good news of Christ Crucified. We have your Coptics, Antiochean, and so on and so forth.[/quote]

That is very interesting. If I were a protestant, and I came to that conclusion, I would convert to either Catholicism or Orthodoxy. What have I missed? Why do you stay?

[quote name='Budge' post='1216229' date='Mar 19 2007, 11:01 PM']You got those who have adapted the sacramentalism of Rome or continued with it..

Lutheranism, [b]Emergent movement[/b] etc.

Christians who stick by the Bible, , usually have agree on most basic issues.[/quote]

i find it funny that if they dont agree with you, they must not agree with the bible. Why are you so special to know what the proper interpretation is? Does that mean that all the truth of the divine was hidden and perverted until the time of Budge? The fundamentalist movement itself didnt gain steam until the last few hundred years.

btw, I know it is fun to throw jargon around and seem smart. But saying the emergent church movement is sacramental in any way is horrible. There is no sense of the sacred. They are aging hippys with relativistic theology and a post-modern ministry approach. Please budge. whats up with the term here? I would like to hear how a movement designed to go against the "higher church" model would get anything but your blessing.

desertwoman

[quote name='theculturewarrior' post='1217216' date='Mar 22 2007, 09:52 AM']That is very interesting. If I were a protestant, and I came to that conclusion, I would convert to either Catholicism or Orthodoxy. What have I missed? Why do you stay?[/quote]

There are still some things that I'm weary about and I need to learn about. I don't like jumping from ship to ship without knowing for sure you know?

theculturewarrior

Yes! I understand. God bless you on your journey. I will pray that the Holy Spirit guide you to where He wants you to be. :)

theculturewarrior

If you ever feel compelled to choose between Orthodoxy and Catholicism, talk to me. I will tell you why I am Catholic. :)

Ive studied the Emergent movement, I dont know what youre talking about REV, they are BIG INTO "ORTHODOXY", they just believe they can jazz things up for the young people, in fact one of the biggest things with the Emergents is returning to what they call "ancient" ways. In fact while Emergents push sacramentalism as much as possible. Sure some of them are aging hippies and love their labryinths and junk...but they speak of returning to the "early" {they are wrong in thinking its the Catholic} church.

thats pretty much not true at all.

There is a recent flux of protestantism that is trying to return to the earlier worship styles and etc, but to call that sacramental is very wrong. The majority of emergent church people I know are very "anti-high church" at their core they are relativistic and post-modern. Not orthodox