An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Nashville Dominicans

Ora et Labora

I became a Lay Dominican in college, and attended five Jesu Caritas retreats after graduation. The first one was a discernment retreat, and I found out immediately upon arrival that St. Cecilia wasn't for me. I attended the other retreats for my "yearly" retreat requirement as a Lay OP.

I had written an article about Jesu Caritas--intending to publish it in Catholic Digest--but the sisters said it was too positive, and they were afraid they'd have to turn girls away. They were already accommodating 60 at each retreat (about 3 times the number when I was there).

I've not been to the new motherhouse. Can't wait to get back that way.

My only objection to them--and please correct me if I'm wrong--was their forcing their sisters to receive communion in the hand because they were teaching their school kids to do the same. I should think that that is against Canon Law. As I said, please correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Go and see. It can't hurt. I really wish they'd have retreats for old married women like myself.

Blessings,
Gemma

Ora et Labora

ohh i didn't know they were doing that. yes! please, someone tell me if they do. i don't receive communion in my hand...

Sr Mary Catharine OP

Gemma when I went there to visit in '89 all the sisters were receiving on the tongue. the Church permits one to receive either on the tongue or in the hand and really everyone should be free to receive either way.
I think everyone should be free to receive kneeling, too, but let's not get into that one!

[quote name='Gemma' post='1214893' date='Mar 17 2007, 09:20 AM']I became a Lay Dominican in college, and attended five Jesu Caritas retreats after graduation. The first one was a discernment retreat, and I found out immediately upon arrival that St. Cecilia wasn't for me. I attended the other retreats for my "yearly" retreat requirement as a Lay OP.

I had written an article about Jesu Caritas--intending to publish it in Catholic Digest--but the sisters said it was too positive, and they were afraid they'd have to turn girls away. They were already accommodating 60 at each retreat (about 3 times the number when I was there).

I've not been to the new motherhouse. Can't wait to get back that way.

My only objection to them--and please correct me if I'm wrong--was their forcing their sisters to receive communion in the hand because they were teaching their school kids to do the same. I should think that that is against Canon Law. As I said, please correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Go and see. It can't hurt. I really wish they'd have retreats for old married women like myself.

Blessings,
Gemma[/quote]

Ora et Labora

lol, true. but i would prefer if the convent i joined received the Lord on the tongue. But, i guess it's a small matter. i go to the indult TLM, so on the tongue and kneeling is my personal preference.

[quote name='Sr. Mary Catharine' post='1215175' date='Mar 17 2007, 07:51 PM']Gemma when I went there to visit in '89 all the sisters were receiving on the tongue. the Church permits one to receive either on the tongue or in the hand and really everyone should be free to receive either way.
I think everyone should be free to receive kneeling, too, but let's not get into that one![/quote]

This was afterward. I knew a young lady who attended Mass and prayers there on a regular basis, and she said that because they were teaching the kids to receive in the hand, the sisters were forced to receive in the hand, also. :idontknow:

Blessings,
Gemma

I know this topic is really old.... But I love the nashville Domincans! They are so wonderful, me and my family visit them every year. You should make a retreat, Celine did and she loved it :) But I think you knew that already, anyways, I hope to make a retreat as soon as I reach the age requirement....

Ora et Labora

[quote name='uruviel' post='1215481' date='Mar 18 2007, 02:01 PM']I know this topic is really old.... But I love the nashville Domincans! They are so wonderful, me and my family visit them every year. You should make a retreat, Celine did and she loved it :) But I think you knew that already, anyways, I hope to make a retreat as soon as I reach the age requirement....[/quote]

Hi Lori! :D: Actually, Celine is who increased my interest in the Nashville Dominicans...I think I'd like to go with her in October. :) Just to see what their like...

I know :) the talks they give and stuff on their retreats are really good spiritually though, I can't wait until I can start going.

They had a priest from Rhode Island (Fr. Austriaco, OP) give the talk last May for the Discernment retreat. They don't have it listed on the website who will do it this year, but I'm sure it'll be good!

• 1 year later...
DominicanPhilosophy

This is a reaaally old post, but since I found it I just thought I'd clarify -- if anything, it seems they ALL take our Eucharistic Lord on their tongues, but none of it is by force or order. I have a feeling you might be referring to the school months; the Sisters might take the Eucharist in their hands as an example for the kids, but that sounds highly unlikely that any of it would be by force. The NDs are in full communion with Rome, so when I found this I thought I'd give a fresh comment since this post is "before my time" on PM, lol. ;)

Actually, a bit ironic because for me, I'm "saving myself" [sounds silly] because I've never taken the host on my tongue before and if it is God's will for me to enter Nashville, my first Mass as a postulant will be the beginning of a deeper, more intimate union with Christ in that way also.

Excuse the fact that some of this may be incoherent, but I'm not the best sleeper. :(

Thomist-in-Training

On a related subject, some of the sisters serve as EMHCs also it seems--my friend told a story about her brother going to Mass at the church there with half his beard shaved off (in honor of St. Philip Neri, who did that sometimes), and hearing one of the sisters say later "I just gave Communion to the strangest man..." For me I have a minor paranoia of joining a convent where they do that, lest I be requested to do it under obedience.

I visited for half an hour driving through Nashville--more like running through. They were kind, and the grounds are very nice--the house is a huge brick house, which used to be a boarding school. I didn't get to look around the church because we had to leave quickly, but I saw one of the Sisters kiss her scapular after she finished her prayer, which seems like a nice custom.