An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Nashville Dominicans

Ora et Labora

Ora et Labora

Hello! My names Kristina (I'm Totus Tuus' lil sis ;) ) and I was wondering if any of y'all had visited the Nashville Dominicans. I visited the SSME's last May, liked it a lot and also, I have been to the Shrine of the Most Blessed Sacrament several times, and I LOVED them!! But, I have this feeling I should visit Nashville just to see what their like. I have no idea if my life will be as a religious, and I'm very open to the married life, but I still would like to visit convents to see what their life is like, in case I might someday be called to one of them. So, all in all, I have no idea what my future will be, so if y'all could pray for me as I pray for y'alls vocations, that would be great! Thanks a bunch for any information that you guys could give me. :D: God Bless!

Many prayers for you Ora.

Related to these sisters. I am in contact w/ Sr. Mary Emily and have visited on a vocations retreat in the past. The sisters are coming to St. Louis next year to teach and we're quite excited. Actually, two of the sisters (along with some other communities of men and women) are visiting my high school today for a vocations panel.

I know there have been threads about the Nashville OPs in the past. [b][url="http://www.nashvilledominican.org/Main.htm"]Their website[/url][/b] is the best for information. But if you have specific questions, I'm sure there are those of us who've visited who would be willing to share our opinions!

:pray:

Edited by shortnun

Ora et Labora

thanks a bunch shortnun! :) well, ii have one question...i have heard you have to be 18 to go to their retreats and i will only be 17 in april. i want to go to the retreat in october that their having, but i'll only be 17 1/2. so, i was wondering if they make acceptions. they did for a friend of mine, so, that gives me hope. ;) thanks for the prayers as well...i need them.

[quote name='Ora et Labora' post='1213128' date='Mar 13 2007, 02:51 PM']thanks a bunch shortnun! :) well, ii have one question...i have heard you have to be 18 to go to their retreats and i will only be 17 in april. i want to go to the retreat in october that their having, but i'll only be 17 1/2. so, i was wondering if they make acceptions. they did for a friend of mine, so, that gives me hope. ;) thanks for the prayers as well...i need them.[/quote]

I would fill out an inquiry form on their website or email Sr. Mary Emily or Sr. Cecilia Joseph. I know they don't have a ton of room for their vocations retreats. And their exceptions might be different for Vocations Retreats than for Jesu Caritas weekend retreats. But I'm not certain.

Ora et Labora

ohh what are the differences between the two retreats? yes, i wanted to go to the one in february, but it was full! haha, i guess that's a good thing. ;) when i went to SSME, they had a 24 hour retreat. it was nice and they had all night adoration. is that a vocation retreat? they talkeda bout the religious vocation and stuff like that. but it was based mostly on benediction...it was really awesome. but, i know i'm not called to be there. i got that impretion right when i entered the place. their wonderful, but just not for me, you know? i was glad the answer for SSME came so quickly from God. sometimes, it takes longer. haha. :)

[quote][b][u]Jesu Caritas:
[/u][/b]
For over 25 years we have hosted Jesu Caritas Weekends. From Friday at 4 p.m. until Sunday lunch our guests are treated to a monastic experience of prayer, inspirational talks, reception of the sacraments and Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament. We provide opportunities for retreatants to speak with the sisters and to meet others who have an earnest desire for God. Each year a different topic is explored that is a focus within the Church and therefore the hearts of those who love the Church.

[u]Sample of some past topics[/u]
* The Years of Preparation for the Great Jubilee:
o Jesus Christ
o The Holy Spirit
o God, the Father
* St. Catherine of Siena, St. Theresa of Avila, St. Bernadette
* The Virtues of Faith, Hope and Love
* Devotion to the Blessed Mother, The Sacred Heart of Jesus
* The Eucharist and the Sacrament of Penance

[b]Dates for the Jesu Caritas Weekend 2006-2007[/b]

October 13-15, 2006
March 9-11, 2007

For more information or to assure a reservation, contact us at [email=vocation@op-tn.org]vocation@op-tn.org[/email].

[b][url="http://www.nashvilledominican.org/News/Retreat%20Schedule/Jesu_Caritas.htm"]SOURCE[/url][/b][/quote]

[quote][u][b]Vocation Retreats:[/b][/u]

Several times a year we have Vocation Retreats for those who are discerning their vocation.

Over the course of five days 25-30 young women explore the life and charism of the Dominican Sisters of St. Cecilia.
Those on retreat hear talks on:

* St. Dominic
* The Spirituality of the Order
* Marian devotion
* The Divine Office
* Discernment and the Formation process
* The Apostolate

Our guests pray the Divine Office with us and join in community exercises. There are opportunities to meet and hear from the sisters in the novitiate, as well as to recreate with the other sisters in the community. A tour of several schools of the Congregation includes a visit with the bishop of the diocese, the Most Reverend Bishop David Choby. While on retreat, vocation direction is available.

[b]Dates for the Vocation Retreats 2006-2007[/b]

January 3-7, 2007
May 23-27, 2007

If you are interested in attending this retreat, contact the Vocation Director to sign up.

Call us if you are interested in an informal Weekend Vocation Retreat experience to expose you to our life and prayer.

[b][url="http://www.nashvilledominican.org/News/Retreat%20Schedule/Vocation_Retreat.htm"]SOURCE[/url][/b][/quote]

Ora et Labora

wow, thanks shortnun!! this will help...i'm gonna print the stuff out. :D:

Edited by Ora et Labora

I have been a couple times. They are such a beautiful order. I do not feeled called there but I would recommend anyone discerning to check them out!!!

the lords sheep

[quote name='shortnun' post='1213124' date='Mar 13 2007, 03:47 PM']The sisters are coming to St. Louis next year to teach and we're quite excited.[/quote]

:shock: :banana: :breakdance: :banana: :clapping: :biglol: :bigclap:
:D: :lol: :love: :thumbsup:

I'm so excited that they're coming to STL! Where are they going to teach? Do you know?

Ave Maria Totus Tuus

Hi Kristina!

I have been to the Motherhouse in Nashville! I actually live in Nashville, so I go about once a week to pray Compline with the sisters, and I've been on a Jesu Caritas retreat. They are an INCREDIBLE order of over 200 sisters! They just finished a new chapel last year and their Motherhouse is so beautiful, a lot of property on a hill only a couple minutes from downtown Nashville. The sisters are an institution here in Nashville. Sr. Mary Emily is the Vocation Director and is so wonderful, let me know if you ever make it here for a retreat, I'll probably be there!

Ora et Labora

Thanks Ave Maria Totus Tuus! :) Yah, I've been to their site a lot, and the grounds are sooo beautiful!! :love: That's partly what attracted me towards them. I'm not saying I'm called to the religious life, because there's a big chance that I will get married some day...but it still attracts me, you know? I think I should visit them. It sounds really good!

[quote name='the lords sheep' post='1213371' date='Mar 14 2007, 12:46 AM']:shock: :banana: :breakdance: :banana: :clapping: :biglol: :bigclap:
:D: :lol: :love: :thumbsup:

I'm so excited that they're coming to STL! Where are they going to teach? Do you know?[/quote]
St. Joseph's in Cottleville (St. Charles), if my memory serves me correctly. I don't know how many sisters are coming yet. But I know the (Dominican) brothers here in town are excited that their "family" is expanding.

Edited by shortnun

[quote name='Ora et Labora' post='1214780' date='Mar 16 2007, 10:30 PM']STL? what is that exactly? i might know, and my brain isn't working or something. ;)[/quote]
St. Louis (Missouri)