An Old School Catholic Message Board

New Priests

DiscerningSoul

DiscerningSoul

Well it has not been long since the two new priests came into St.Joe's in NB, where my SD is (and my former Confessor also). In this weeks bulletin there was a "message" from the new priest asking that those who genuflect and do other "outward" signs like the sign of the cross, refran from such, he also asked that the people recieve in the hand. I don't have a bulltin with me to write word for word but you get the point from that. "Inward" signs count.

I am abit taken back on this, and don't quite know how to respond, other then to stop going to Mass there other then to see my SD.

It seems to me that each time I go there something else is changed or is going to change.

:idontknow: :idontknow: :idontknow: :idontknow: :idontknow: :idontknow: :idontknow:

Jessica

[url="http://www.xanga.com/ADiscerningSoul"]http://www.xanga.com/ADiscerningSoul[/url]

Guest phatdaddy

Jessica,

Unfortunately, this is not an isolated event. For your own peace of soul it is probably better to find a place to worship that is less distracting and more Catholic; I know I would. This priest needs prayers and maybe that's why your path's crossed. If you feel so inclined, perhaps a conversation or letter to the paster spoken in charity but with clarity. This priest does not have the right to prohit what the Catholic church has applauded, i.e. kneeling, genuflection and outward signs of piety. After telling your paster, it becomes his reponsibility to deal with it. If he choses to ignore it, and you feel so inclined, then a letter to the bishop is in order. If you go this route, do your homework and collect the facts because it can not be hearsay. After that, it is in God's hand. All that being said, I would still attend another Church. For the last 35 years this has been our only option, sad to say.
Mr. Ray

Mary-Kathryn

Jesica,

I agree with phatdaddy. For the sake of your peace of soul-change churches.

What you can do is have a very civil conversation with your priest. Ask him "Father so-n-so, when you wrote we weren't to genuflect was that at all times or just at communion." Then perhaps gently let him know your position. I've seen people come at priests like freight trains and that didn't work real well [not saying YOU would]

God bless Jessica and I hope it all turns out well!

Oh my goodness, that is awful :( I thought the Bishops say we are allowed to receive by mouth or in the hand, is the priest really allowed to refuse to give communion in the mouth??

I agree, change churches :(

DiscerningSoul

Thank you so much for your input.

This is not my 'home' parish, St.Peter's is.

I go to St.Joe's to see my SD and to go for extra Mass's(I just love going to Mass, don't you?)

:idontknow: :idontknow: :idontknow:

Unfortunately, my dear, our pastor calls these parishes "hostile environments". You can try talking with the new priests, and [b]praying[/b] (unceasingly!) for them; but you might not want to stick around on a regular basis. Also, I almost forgot, it's very good for your bishop to know what is going on, especially if you live in a large diocese. He may only know about these things when someone informs him :)

Edited by Totus Tuus

the lords sheep

I don't know about genuflecting (I would assume he means only immediately before receiving the Body and Blood, I thought it was encouraged otherwise...)
As far as receiving in the hand versus on the tongue, I believe that according to Cannon Law, the faithful person retains the right to receive either on the hand or on the tongue
[quote]Once implemented, the option to receive Communion either in the hand or on the tongue always remains with the communicant. No priest, deacon, acolyte, or extraordinary minister of Holy Communion may refuse a communicant Communion on the tongue. Likewise, once the local bishop has introduced Communion in the hand, none may refuse a communicant Communion in the hand (except when Communion is being given by intinction, in which case it must be given on the tongue).
[url="http://www.catholic.com/library/Who_Can_Receive_Communion.asp"]Reception of Communion[/url]

(If you notice, there is an imprimateur at the bottom, verifying it's authenticity)[/quote]

I'm not certain what document it comes from, but I could probably find out if you need me to.....

We are guaranteed the right to receive as we like; your priest, despite what I assume to be his best intentions, does not have the right to request you to receive in the hand if you prefer not to.

As far as your posture, kneeling, after genuflecting, etc, I have no idea though....
Hope I helped.

In Jesus and Mary,
Lauren

ps- you may want to move this to the apologetics board. I know there are a lot of people out there who are more familiar with cannon law and with the GIRM than I am. They might be able to direct to you to the exact location in documents...

[quote name='the lords sheep' post='1212435' date='Mar 12 2007, 12:28 AM']I don't know about genuflecting (I would assume he means only immediately before receiving the Body and Blood, I thought it was encouraged otherwise...)
As far as receiving in the hand versus on the tongue, I believe that according to Cannon Law, the faithful person retains the right to receive either on the hand or on the tongue[/quote]

Yes, the faithful person may choose to receive Holy Communion in the hand or on the tongue so long as the local bishop has allowed reception in the hand in his diocese; otherwise, one receives on the tongue. Also, one must always receive on the tongue if the priest is using intinction.

Genuflecting is not only allowed, but a person [i]should[/i] genuflect or at least bow ("make some sign of reverence") before receiving Holy Communion. Believe it or not, [i]anyone[/i] can receive Holy Communion kneeling, too. Rome has protected that right, so no minister may ever deny a person who chooses to kneel Holy Communion.

You absolutely NEVER have to receive Our Lord in your hands against your will.

[quote name='the lords sheep' post='1212435' date='Mar 12 2007, 12:28 AM']I don't know about genuflecting (I would assume he means only immediately before receiving the Body and Blood, I thought it was encouraged otherwise...)
As far as receiving in the hand versus on the tongue, I believe that according to Cannon Law, the faithful person retains the right to receive either on the hand or on the tongue[/quote]

Yes, the faithful person may choose to receive Holy Communion in the hand or on the tongue so long as the local bishop has allowed reception in the hand in his diocese; otherwise, one receives on the tongue. Also, one must always receive on the tongue if the priest is using intinction.

Genuflecting is not only allowed, but a person [i]should[/i] genuflect or at least bow ("make some sign of reverence") before receiving Holy Communion. Believe it or not, [i]anyone[/i] can receive Holy Communion kneeling, too. Rome has protected that right, so no minister may ever deny a person who chooses to kneel Holy Communion.

Berchmans525

A priest at a parish near me wrote a letter I say at his parish a few months ago saying that no one is allowed to genuflect before receiving Holy Communion.. that they must only bow before receiving Holy Communion. Concerning choosing to receive Holy Communion in the hand or on the tongue, I've had priests kinda of "force" the host in my mouth if I didn't receive by the hand. I remember when in Oklahoma, the university parish used to us "baked" bread instead of hosts for Holy Communion so it was tough for the preist or EME to put the piece of bread on your tongue.

At the parish I attend now, I have seen some people genuflect before reciving Holy Communion so I feel more comfortbale doing it at that the parish I attend now because the pastor has no problem with it at all.

[quote name='Totus Tuus' post='1212494' date='Mar 12 2007, 09:59 AM']Yes, the faithful person may choose to receive Holy Communion in the hand or on the tongue so long as the local bishop has allowed reception in the hand in his diocese; otherwise, one receives on the tongue. Also, one must always receive on the tongue if the priest is using intinction.

You absolutely NEVER have to receive Our Lord in your hands against your will.[/quote]

AccountDeleted

[quote name='Berchmans525' post='1212497' date='Mar 12 2007, 08:46 AM']A priest at a parish near me wrote a letter I say at his parish a few months ago saying that no one is allowed to genuflect before receiving Holy Communion.. that they must only bow before receiving Holy Communion. Concerning choosing to receive Holy Communion in the hand or on the tongue, I've had priests kinda of "force" the host in my mouth if I didn't receive by the hand. I remember when in Oklahoma, the university parish used to us "baked" bread instead of hosts for Holy Communion so it was tough for the preist or EME to put the piece of bread on your tongue.

At the parish I attend now, I have seen some people genuflect before reciving Holy Communion so I feel more comfortbale doing it at that the parish I attend now because the pastor has no problem with it at all.[/quote]

I genuflected once at my new church before receiving the host, on my tongue, and the priest gave me such a dirty look that I felt uncomfortable doing it ever again! It is difficult to be the only one in a parish who follows a certain custom, so I think a person needs to find a Church that makes them feel comfortable. It is sad to think that some priests are more concerned with speeding the parishioners through communion than in genuinely showing reverence for the Body of Christ.

DiscerningSoul

I wish I had a copy of the bullitin, but most of it concerned around the receiving of, in terms of genuflecting, and receiving on the tounge, wich from what I remember there was even instructions on how to receive in the hand and the acceptance of it. If it were my home parish I would be ripping, but it's not so it's easy just not to go to Mass there exept when I need to see my SD who I am going to try to see this weekend.
One thing that made me upset, is that you think you'd find some nice words about Father Gaffeny in his message, nope.

With genuflecting, wich I do, the only time someone got there toe of the shoe hit by my toe was when they were "tailgating" me, I have never had some fall or trip over me, and only a few times have I have had hit someones toe, I do try to be careful of others around me.

I will still go to the Fatima/Divine Mercy hours there.

and of course I will pray for both Father Masters and Father Ed.

[quote name='Berchmans525' post='1212497' date='Mar 12 2007, 10:46 AM']A priest at a parish near me wrote a letter I say at his parish a few months ago saying that no one is allowed to genuflect before receiving Holy Communion.. that they must only bow before receiving Holy Communion. Concerning choosing to receive Holy Communion in the hand or on the tongue, I've had priests kinda of "force" the host in my mouth if I didn't receive by the hand. I remember when in Oklahoma, the university parish used to us "baked" bread instead of hosts for Holy Communion so it was tough for the preist or EME to put the piece of bread on your tongue.

At the parish I attend now, I have seen some people genuflect before reciving Holy Communion so I feel more comfortbale doing it at that the parish I attend now because the pastor has no problem with it at all.[/quote]

Yup, baked "bread" (not unleavened) is invalid matter for the Sacrament... you're right in saying "piece of bread"; I wouldn't have even gone to receive since it was not Our Lord.

I am glad your new parish is not hostile about being reverent!

[quote name='Totus Tuus' post='1212492' date='Mar 12 2007, 05:49 AM']Yes, the faithful person may choose to receive Holy Communion in the hand or on the tongue so long as the local bishop has allowed reception in the hand in his diocese; otherwise, one receives on the tongue. Also, one must always receive on the tongue if the priest is using intinction.

You absolutely NEVER have to receive Our Lord in your hands against your will.[/quote]
though many official documents could be sited..i do like this

[quote]The expression used by St. Luke to describe the kneeling of Christians (theis ta gonata) is unknown in classical Greek. We are dealing here with a specifically Christian word. . . . It may well be that kneeling is alien to modern culture-- insofar as it is a culture, [b]for this culture has turned way from the faith[/b] and no longer knows the One before whom kneeling is the right, indeed the intrinsically necessary gesture. The man who learns to believe learns also to kneel, and a faith or a liturgy no longer familiar with kneeling would be sick at the core.. . . Where it has been lost, kneeling must be rediscovered, so that, in our prayer, we remain in fellowship with the apostles and martyrs, in fellowship with the whole cosmos, indeed in union with Jesus Christ Himself
-Pope Benedict XVI "The Spirit of the Liturgy"-Ratzinger[/quote]