An Old School Catholic Message Board

Worship?

N/A Gone

The Divine Liturgy is a living memorial (i.e., an αναμνησις) and application of all that Christ did while on earth in order to save mankind from death (i.e., His incarnation, His passion, His death, His resurrection, His ascension, and His glorious parousia at the end of time). That being said, the presence of Christ in the Divine Liturgy unfolds and is made manifest throughout the liturgical service in different ways: first, His presence is signified by the gathering of His people for divine worship; and second, His presence is revealed as His prophetic word is proclaimed and experienced anew (i.e., the liturgy of the Word); and third, He is iconically present in the person of His earthly minister (i.e., the priest), who acts as His living instrument; and finally, He is personally present through the power of the consecration of the bread and wine into His body, blood, soul, and divinity, and it is this final and definitive presence under the veil of the sacred signs of the bread and wine that allows the faithful disciples of the Lord to become one body in, with, and through Him. Thus, the Eucharistic liturgy is the perpetual extension and manifestation of Christ's living presence upon earth, and by it the whole world is sanctified and drawn up into the uncreated life and glory of the Blessed Trinity. In other words, the whole cosmic order of created reality is deified by the worship of the Father, through the Son, in power and energy of the Holy Spirit.

I have to archive the present messages, but I will try to do that later today.

May you have a blessed Great Fast,
Todd

[quote name='Akalyte' post='1212012' date='Mar 11 2007, 11:34 AM']Difference: christians are to bend their knees to christ. Not carry on the jewish traditions of men (clapping, shouting, and dancing, singing).[/quote]
So, you're saying that when I danced before the lord during service, I was not honouring the Christ?

I've done my share of bowing down before the Lord, but what about rejoicing before the lord because of the sacrifice of the Christ on the cross?

Edited by FullTruth

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Maggie' post='1212099' date='Mar 11 2007, 02:49 PM']I know that problem too! That's why I specified "not repetition"... and "re-presentation" instead of "representation." But it doesn't work that well either. I kept looking at the Thesaurus but I couldn't find a word to match the "Catholic" meaning... I would like to hear what terms other people have used![/quote]
The word you are looking for is [b]anamnesis[/b]. It means we are there at the Cross NOW. This concept is seen in the passover sacrifice when the people say "this is the night of our passover as [b]we[/b] flee egypt".
The sacrifice is eternal, so at Mass WE ARE THERE.

for detailed stuff:
[url="http://www.newadvent.org/library/docs_jp02dc.htm"]http://www.newadvent.org/library/docs_jp02dc.htm[/url]

[quote name='FullTruth' post='1212299' date='Mar 11 2007, 09:27 PM']So, you're saying that when I danced before the lord during service, I was not honouring the Christ?

I've done my share of bowing down before the Lord, but what about rejoicing before the lord because of the sacrifice of the Christ on the cross?[/quote]

Here here!