An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Imperishable Catholic Church...

Akalyte

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1212831' date='Mar 12 2007, 11:17 PM'][url="http://www.ewtn.com/vexperts/showmessage.asp?Pgnu=1&Pg=Forum7&recnu=10&number=455303"]SOURCE[/url]

[b]who were the Nephilim[/b]
Question from William on 12/3/2005:

Dear Father,

The Old Testament in chapter 6 of Genesis, just before it talks of Noah and the flood, states:

1 Now it came about, when men began to multiply on the face of the land, and daughters were born to them, 2 that the sons of God saw that the daughters of men were beautiful; and they took wives for themselves, whomever they chose.

3 Then the LORD said, "My Spirit shall not strive with man forever, because he also is flesh; nevertheless his days shall be one hundred and twenty years."

4The Nephilim were on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of men, and they bore children to them. Those were the mighty men who were of old, men of renown.

My question is, who were the Nephilim?

[b]Answer by Fr. John Echert on 1/22/2006: [/b]

Genesis records a strange hybrid which resulted from sexual unions between the "daughters of men" and the “sons of God.

6:1 When men began to multiply on the face of the ground, and daughters were born to them, 6:2 the sons of God saw that the daughters of men were fair; and they took to wife such of them as they chose. 6:3 Then the LORD said, "My spirit shall not abide in man for ever, for he is flesh, but his days shall be a hundred and twenty years." 6:4 The Nephilim were on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of men, and they bore children to them. These were the mighty men that were of old, the men of renown.

While many scholars prefer to dismiss this entirely as myth which is borrowed from pagans cultures of the ancient near east, it is more appropriate to look for some truth and reality behind this mythical sounding text. [b]Some of the Church Fathers, such as St. Augustine, Chrysostom, and Cyril of Alexandria[/b] suggested that the “sons of God” may refer to righteous descendants (men) of Seth who took descendants (women) of Cain as wives. In such a case, “sons of God” associates the men with the goodness of God whereas “daughters of men” would be intended as a contrast to this. This is typical of ancient Semitic expressions which must not be interpreted literally as we understand such constructions but in accord with the customary use of language at the time. Knowing the background of Cain as a killer and the bad blood of his descendants, it is no wonder that such unions would be regarded in a negative light, which unions led to a situation in which humanity was corrupted and unacceptable to God. On the other hand, it is said of Seth and his line that these were the first to reverence the Name of Yahweh. The word “Nephalim” literally means “fallen ones” which sense would be consistent with an interpretation that views this group as a corrupt mixture of good and bad blood. Other commentators have suggested that the “sons of God” were (fallen) angels who somehow mated with human women, but this does present metaphysical complications in light of the natures of each. For now, I find the Patristic solution the most satisfying.

Thanks, William

Father Echert[/quote]
Arguement 1,
Only[b]some church leaders[/b] believed that. What did others think at the time? What did the Apostles believe and teach during their time? Did not Jesus and the Apostles quote from the book of Enoch in great deal, and the book of Enoch describes the Nephilim in great deal.

Arguement 2,
I think many of the Alexandrian Christians were Nephilim, corrupting the original greek into latin! No proof of it, mind you, but it when you know Nephilim are real, and you have personally fought them in the spirit, I can say any teaching from any church that denies their existance is denying humanity a chance to turn the tables on the Nephilim.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='FullTruth' post='1212843' date='Mar 12 2007, 11:38 PM']Arguement 1,
Only[b]some church leaders[/b] believed that. What did others think at the time? What did the Apostles believe and teach during their time? Did not Jesus and the Apostles quote from the book of Enoch in great deal, and the book of Enoch describes the Nephilim in great deal.

Arguement 2,
I think many of the Alexandrian Christians were Nephilim, corrupting the original greek into latin! No proof of it, mind you, but it when you know Nephilim are real, and you have personally fought them in the spirit, I can say any teaching from any church that denies their existance is denying humanity a chance to turn the tables on the Nephilim.[/quote]

Jesus didn't quote from the book of Enoch.

There are no half-man half -demons. If there ever were they died in the flood, remember?
St Jerome who had access to the ancient texts when he translated the bible in the 4th century said the oldest tests he had were in latin. Mark was in Aramaic. There were also versions in Greek and St Jerome used them all.

You might accuse the earliest alexanderian christians of being demons but that is not supported by any facts. The texts were translated into many languages because the Church IS universal. Are there demons, the Church says yes. Has Chist defeated the devil, again the answer is yes.

Revel in HIS light, and put thoughts of the evil one away, they cannnot harm you.

[quote name='FullTruth' post='1212823' date='Mar 12 2007, 11:06 PM']I love it when someone asks a question and they are honest.

Nephilim means those who cause others to fall, as was pointed out earlier in this thread.[/quote]

thanks for the clarification

NewReformation

[quote name='FullTruth' post='1212366' date='Mar 11 2007, 10:08 PM']So, Akalyte, does the Catholic Church teach the Christian truth that we must put the serpent and his seed (The Nephilim) under our feet.

Do you cast out devils, and take up serpents?
That is the fulfillment of this prophecy.
So, unless the Catholic Church is engaged in open spiritual warfare against the Nephilim, which is so happens to deny, they are apostate.

Luckily, there has always been a few people who were well aware of the Nephilim and the serpent seed, and have been in warfare against them since the church started.

Remember this scripture,
With hundreds of millions of Catholics in the world, with a huge percentage not even aware of the Nephilim, let along fighting them to regain human dominance over planet earth for the glory of God, that doesn't sound narrow, nor does it sound straight to me.

Narrow means very few, which scripture says. 900,000,000 doesn't sound like a few to me?[/quote]

You fight the Nephilim? And how precisely?

[quote name='NewReformation' post='1213166' date='Mar 13 2007, 06:50 PM']You fight the Nephilim? And how precisely?[/quote]
With the only name you can fight them with, Jesus Christ.

NewReformation

[quote name='FullTruth' post='1213230' date='Mar 13 2007, 08:59 PM']With the only name you can fight them with, Jesus Christ.[/quote]

And you believe you are fighting the Nephilim? What leads you to this conclusion?

Have some discernment.

The man has demons showing up SINGING to him.

There is a major problem there.

NewReformation

[quote name='Budge' post='1213546' date='Mar 14 2007, 11:33 AM']Have some discernment.

There is a major problem there.[/quote]

I agree.

[quote name='Budge' post='1213546' date='Mar 14 2007, 12:33 PM']Have some discernment.

There is a major problem there.[/quote]
Budge, grow up.

Just because someone doesn't agree with you, doesn't mean they're possessed by Demons. I never said demons were Singing to me, I said they were stinging me.

What you are saying is not of the holy ghost, because when someone says something of the holy ghost, it moves upon the heart of the person who is listening, and the person changes, and transforms to be more Christ-like.

You have a lot of knowledge of scripture, but ultimately you are not living the victorious life Christ wants you to live in.

[quote name='1 Corinthians 13:1-3' date=' KJV']Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.

And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.[/quote]

The second scripture really describes you perfectly Budge. You seem to think to have the gift of prophecy, and you understand all mysteries, and have all knowlege, and have all faith, but you don't have charity/love for people in your heart, and that makes you nothing, according to scripture.

A good friend of mine on this message board said something that reminded me of these scriptures.

I hope it recieves you well, because you are like a tinkling cymbal to me, loud and annoying!

theculturewarrior

[quote name='FullTruth' post='1214135' date='Mar 15 2007, 02:55 PM']Budge, grow up.

Just because someone doesn't agree with you, doesn't mean they're possessed by Demons. I never said demons were Singing to me, I said they were stinging me.

What you are saying is not of the holy ghost, because when someone says something of the holy ghost, it moves upon the heart of the person who is listening, and the person changes, and transforms to be more Christ-like.

You have a lot of knowledge of scripture, but ultimately you are not living the victorious life Christ wants you to live in.
The second scripture really describes you perfectly Budge. You seem to think to have the gift of prophecy, and you understand all mysteries, and have all knowlege, and have all faith, but you don't have charity/love for people in your heart, and that makes you nothing, according to scripture.

A good friend of mine on this message board said something that reminded me of these scriptures.

I hope it recieves you well, because you are like a tinkling cymbal to me, loud and annoying![/quote]

If you are really being tormented by demons, I definitely recommend talking to a priest. Christ gave them authority in such matters. It would not hurt to try an Adoration Chapel either. I know we have different beliefs but there is such a thing as sacred ground. There is NO spiritual warfare greater than what has been given to the Church by God. The Rosary is a weapon. The Eucharist is a spiritual atomic bomb. I know we have different beliefs but I also know how powerful the Church is in spiritual warfare.

I will be praying for you.

[quote name='theculturewarrior' post='1214572' date='Mar 16 2007, 03:01 PM']If you are really being tormented by demons, I definitely recommend talking to a priest. Christ gave them authority in such matters. It would not hurt to try an Adoration Chapel either. I know we have different beliefs but there is such a thing as sacred ground. There is NO spiritual warfare greater than what has been given to the Church by God. The Rosary is a weapon. The Eucharist is a spiritual atomic bomb. I know we have different beliefs but I also know how powerful the Church is in spiritual warfare.

I will be praying for you.[/quote]
Thank you Culture Warrior. Your kindness is appreciated, and I will not forget it, and neither will God.

[quote name='Matthew 10:41-42' date=' KJV']He that receiveth a prophet in the name of a prophet shall receive a prophet's reward; and he that receiveth a righteous man in the name of a righteous man shall receive a righteous man's reward.

[b]And whosoever shall give to drink unto one of these little ones a cup of cold water only in the name of a disciple, verily I say unto you, he shall in no wise lose his reward.[/b][/quote]

The Demons aren't much to handle actually. If you mind the metaphore, It's like Neo versus Smith at the end of the first matrix movie. God has given me the name, Jesus Christ, to send them to their torments. So really, it is the other way around, because God gets to torment them through my walk.

I just want to use these Scriptures, to remind you who the priesthood are, and why every believer can cast out demons.

[quote name='Mark 16:17-18' date=' KJV'][b]And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils[/b]; they shall speak with new tongues;

They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.[/quote]

It is believers who cast out devils, not just ordained priests, because,

[quote name='1 Peter 2:9' date=' KJV']But ye are a chosen generation, [b]a royal priesthood[/b], an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light;[/quote]

I am a royal priest, so are you.

I know my posts tend to talk about things to the extreme, but my life with God has never been anything but an amazing roller coaster that has had mighty highs and deep lows, and neither God nor I would want it any other way.

Edited by FullTruth

theculturewarrior

[quote name='FullTruth' post='1214736' date='Mar 16 2007, 09:43 PM']Thank you Culture Warrior. Your kindness is appreciated, and I will not forget it, and neither will God.
The Demons aren't much to handle actually. If you mind the metaphore, It's like Neo versus Smith at the end of the first matrix movie. God has given me the name, Jesus Christ, to send them to their torments. So really, it is the other way around, because God gets to torment them through my walk.

I just want to use these Scriptures, to remind you who the priesthood are, and why every believer can cast out demons.
It is believers who cast out devils, not just ordained priests, because,
I am a royal priest, so are you.

I know my posts tend to talk about things to the extreme, but my life with God has never been anything but an amazing roller coaster that has had mighty highs and deep lows, and neither God nor I would want it any other way.[/quote]

Most Catholics do not know this, but we belong to a royal priesthood too. However, we did not receive the ordination Jesus gave to his Apostles. That said, I am glad to hear you have things under control. Saint Padre Pio was tormented by demons.

[quote name='theculturewarrior' post='1214907' date='Mar 17 2007, 10:42 AM']Most Catholics do not know this, but we belong to a royal priesthood too. However, we did not receive the ordination Jesus gave to his Apostles. That said, I am glad to hear you have things under control. Saint Padre Pio was tormented by demons.[/quote]
We all have to fight the Devil in a variety of different ways. Most of us never leave the temptation phase, but others become more of a threat to the Devil and his work, so he tries to get a little more physical. But God is always in control, and hasn't left us defenseless against the Devil and his seed, Praise God.

[quote]Saint Padre Pio was tormented by demons.[/quote]Of course he was, he had kicked open the door to the demonic world inviting them in daily, to the point he used to SCARE the monks living with him who heard the voices coming out of his cell nightly.

Another demonic saint praying to false spirits.

The Bible tells us straight out, we are NOT to worship [or pray] to angels!!!!

Col 2:18 Let no man beguile you of your reward in a voluntary humility and [b]worshipping of angels[/b], intruding into those things which he hath not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind,

2 Corinthians 11:14 And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an ANGEL of light.

SO what did Padre Pio Do? The complete opposite!
[quote]

Quote:
Invoke frequently this (your) Guardian Angel, this benefactor angel. Repeat often the beautiful prayer: [b]"Angel of God, my Guardian dear, to whom the heavenly Father's bounty entrusts me here; enlighten me, guard me, guide me now and forever." How great, my dear Raffaelina, will be the consolation, when, at the hour of death, your soul will see this angel, who is so good, who has accompanied you throughout your life, who was so ample in his maternal care! [/b]Oh that this sweet thought may make you, may render you continually more fond of the Cross of Jesus! This is namely what your good angel desires! ? May the desire to see this inseparable companion of your entire life enkindle in you that charity which moves you to desire soon to leave the body.

Oh, what a holy and salutary thought it is to see this our good angel! It is this aspiration, namely, that should make us escape ahead of time from this dark prison in which we are detained. O Raffaelina, where are my thoughts flying to now? How many times, alas, have I made this good angel weep! How many times have I lived without the least fear of offending the purity of his regard! Oh, he is so finely mannered, so discreet. My God, how many times did I respond to the ample, more than maternal care of this good angel without any sign of respect, affection or acknowledgment! It is this thought that presently rather fills me with confusion: alas -- hear this and be horrified -- such is my blindness that I feel no remorse at this. And what is worse still, I treat this dear little angel, I do not say as a friend, but as a member of my family. And to tell the truth, this dear angel is not the least offended at being treated like this by me. How precious he is, how good!"

(Padre Pio da Pietrelcina. EPISTOLARIO, II: Corrispondenza con la Nobildonnna Raffaelina Cerase 1914-1915, Lett. 64, p. 403f. National Centre for Padre Pio. Rd. 1, Box 134 Barto, PA 19504)[/quote]

www.opusangelorum.org/English/Padrepio.html