An Old School Catholic Message Board

Want A Separate Thread For This..

prose

One of the threads in here keeps referring to a "quote" from the Catechism:

[quote]"For the Son of God became man so that we might become God." - Official Catholic Doctrine from Catechism of the Catholic Church, Ignatius Press p. 116[/quote]

Now, I am one to look into things. I have read my catechism :shock: and have never heard this quote. So, upon hearing it, I looked again. Still, it isn't in there.

So, my friends, if one source is false, this may lead us to believe that several are false. Please [i]show me[/i] this quote you keep throwing around.

cmotherofpirl

Its a quote from the Saints, and being thrown around out of context to provide entertainment for Budge.

Theosis
In Eastern Orthodox and Eastern Catholic theology, theosis (Greek: Θεωσις, meaning divinization (or deification, or to make divine), is the call to man to become holy and seek union with God, beginning in this life and later consummated in the resurrection. Theosis comprehends salvation from sin, is premised upon apostolic and early Christian understanding of the life of faith, and is conceptually foundational in both the East and the West.

St. Athanasius of Alexandria wrote, "The Son of God became man, that we might become God." His statement is an apt description of the concept. What would otherwise seem absurd, that fallen, sinful man may become holy as God is holy, has been made possible through Jesus Christ, who is God incarnate. Naturally, the crucial Christian assertion, that God is One, sets an absolute limit on the meaning of theosis - it is not possible for any created being to become, ontologically, God, or even part of God (the henosis of Greek philosophy).

Through theoria, the revelation of the triune God, human beings come to know and experience what it means to be fully human (the created image of God); through their communion with Jesus Christ, God shares Himself with the human race, in order to conform them to all that God is in knowledge, righteousness and holiness. As God became man, in all ways except sin, He will also make man God, in all ways except His divine essence. St. Irenaeus explained this concept in Against Heresies, Book 5, in the Preface, "the Word of God, our Lord Jesus Christ, who did, through His transcendent love, become what we are, that He might bring us to be even what He is Himself."

I hope Apotheoun sees this. He knows his stuff on this topic.

I cant quote this, but Augustine in his soteriological model saw that in the eucharist changed us in the same way. I can look if you want, but he is a western father that thought the same.

Mateo el Feo

I think one of the clearest mentions in the Holy Bible for this idea occurs in 2 Peter 1:4 ([url="http://www.usccb.org/nab/bible/2peter/2peter1.htm#v4"]link[/url]):[quote]Through these, he has bestowed on us the precious and very great promises, so that through them [b]you may come to share in the divinenature[/b], after escaping from the corruption that is in the world because of evil desire.[/quote]This is mentioned in the same paragraph (#460) of the CCC as the quote above.

Edited by Mateo el Feo

O God, + Who in creating man didst exalt his nature very wonderfully and yet more wonderfully didst establish it anew; by the Mystery signified in the mingling of this water and wine, grant us to have part in the Divinity of Him Who hath deigned to become a partaker of our humanity, Jesus Christ, Thy Son our Lord; Who liveth and reigneth with Thee, in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. Amen.

[quote name='prose' post='1209827' date='Mar 7 2007, 10:55 AM']One of the threads in here keeps referring to a "quote" from the Catechism:
[quote]"For the Son of God became man so that we might become God." - Official Catholic Doctrine from Catechism of the Catholic Church, Ignatius Press p. 116[/quote]
Now, I am one to look into things. I have read my catechism :shock: and have never heard this quote. So, upon hearing it, I looked again. Still, it isn't in there.

So, my friends, if one source is false, this may lead us to believe that several are false. Please [i]show me[/i] this quote you keep throwing around.
[/quote]
As Mateo el Feo pointed out above, the quotation you referenced is from paragraph 460 of the [url="http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/__P1J.HTM"]Catechism of the Catholic Church[/url]. Here is the entire paragraph with the quotation you found in bold face print:

[quote]The Word became flesh to make us "partakers of the divine nature": "For this is why the Word became man, and the Son of God became the Son of man: so that man, by entering into communion with the Word and thus receiving divine sonship, might become a son of God." [b]"For the Son of God became man so that we might become God."[/b] "The only-begotten Son of God, wanting to make us sharers in his divinity, assumed our nature, so that he, made man, might make men gods."[/quote]

Click the links below for more information on the doctrine of [i]theosis[/i]:

[url="http://www.geocities.com/apotheoun/theosis"]The Doctrine of Theosis[/url]

and

[url="http://www.geocities.com/apotheoun/theosis2"]Select Patristical Quotations on the Doctrine of Theosis[/url]

God bless,
Todd