An Old School Catholic Message Board

Wannabe Warlock Priest In Michigan

Budge

I am wondering if I should just sit back and let Budge and Anomaly duke this one out, but on the other hand, I would not mind giving a separated brother a hand. First though, I gotta clarify this:

[quote name='Anomaly' post='1209084' date='Mar 6 2007, 01:01 PM']I see no problem with Christian celebration of the Solstice. Pagans are bright enough to recognize God's Glory manifested in His Creation, they're just mistaken about Who is the Creator and Who's Glory they see. Christians should have no problem celebrating The Solstice because they know that's how God caused the solar system to operate. Now celebrating the Soltistice at The Great Spirit Congregation confuses who's Glory and Creation is manifested in Solstice.[/quote]

Only pagans before Christ were honourable in their search for God through creation because it was an authentic search. Neo-pagans are the ones to be scorned because they in fact separate themselves from the Truth that has revealed HIMSELF to both Jew and Gentile. It is the difference between single and being divorced. Plain and simple.

As for Budge, I must clarify that I do not support the worship of nature. I worship God alone. I see no reason of not celebrating a different time of year. It is like celebrating a birthday. We worship God for the greatness of seeing a new season, a new age, etc.

[quote name='hot stuff' post='1209070' date='Mar 6 2007, 09:33 AM']LOL

You don't have shorter days Budgie? Summer and winter solstice happen. It has nothing to do with paganism. We also have a fall festival and turkey bingo. In none of these events do we celebrate anything besides Christ.[/quote]

You have Turkey bingo? Isn't Bingo gambling and gambling a sin?? Does Satan run your Church!!! :shock:

;)

[quote name='prose' post='1209340' date='Mar 6 2007, 07:35 PM']You have Turkey bingo? Isn't Bingo gambling and gambling a sin?? Does Satan run your Church!!! :shock:

;)[/quote]
Hehehehe... i love the "shock" smiley :shock:

How come everytime I see the word Satan with the shock smiley I think .....

[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/87/Churchlady02.jpg[/img]

[quote name='Azriel' post='1209387' date='Mar 6 2007, 08:18 PM']How come everytime I see the word Satan with the shock smiley I think .....
[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/87/Churchlady02.jpg[/img][/quote]

:lol_pound: I love that SNL skit...good stuff.

[quote]I see no reason of not celebrating a different time of year. It is like celebrating a birthday. We worship God for the greatness of seeing a new season,[b]a new age,[/b] etc.[/quote]

<_<

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1209330' date='Mar 6 2007, 07:31 PM']I am wondering if I should just sit back and let Budge and Anomaly duke this one out, but on the other hand, I would not mind giving a separated brother a hand. First though, I gotta clarify this:
Only pagans before Christ were honourable in their search for God through creation because it was an authentic search. Neo-pagans are the ones to be scorned because they in fact separate themselves from the Truth that has revealed HIMSELF to both Jew and Gentile. It is the difference between single and being divorced. Plain and simple.

As for Budge, I must clarify that I do not support the worship of nature. I worship God alone. I see no reason of not celebrating a different time of year. It is like celebrating a birthday. We worship God for the greatness of seeing a new season, a new age, etc.[/quote]Budge in her Budgeyness, is missing a good point though, and I'd like to see some reasonable 'Catholic' defense.

How the heck does the Divine and Infallible in Matters of Faith and Morals Catholic Diocese of Milwaukee end up with a parish called "The Congregation of the Great Spirit"? I Googled it and found it [url="http://www.archmil.org/parishes/ShowParish.asp?ID=196"]HERE[/url].

[quote]How the heck does the Divine and Infallible in Matters of Faith and Morals Catholic Diocese of Milwaukee end up with a parish called "The Congregation of the Great Spirit"? I Googled it and found it HERE.[/quote]

I dont know, maybe people who believe in "Christian" solistice ceremonies thought it was a good idea.

<_<

Edited by Budge

son_of_angels

Yes, Budge, you are definitely misinterpreting Galatians. The differentiation between days, etc. are all references to Mosaic legal practices, and to their differentiation according to the legal definitions contained in them. This is generally not permitted to Christians, at least for the same purpose as the former Law. Hence, when protestant evangelical churches celebrate Passover, etc. certain judgments could be aimed at them.
The only important aspect to all this is that the law is non-obligatory with regard to such days for Christians, and Christians should not make them obligatory to each other.

However, to show that it is not forbidden absolutely by God, let us consider a passage, also from St. Paul, from his good-old letter to the Romans (and, yes, I have familiarity with Romans and the so-called "Roman Road" considering that I once WAS an evangelical fundamentalist Baptist), v. 5 "One man esteems one day as better than another, while another man esteems all days alike. Let every one be fully convinced in his own mind. He who observes the day, observes it in honor of the Lord," but to confirm that such freedom belongs to the order of Charity, which is the bond between Christians in the Church (who sometimes declares days of fast and feast), St. Paul also says, "none of us lives to himself, and none of us dies to himself."

Try opening up that Bible, and not just thumping the front cover.

(Scripture quotes from the RSV-CE)