An Old School Catholic Message Board

To Cmotherofpirl: Your Avatar

Budge

Budge.

I own that book. I cant believe you would suggest that book as any kind of credible source. It is a horrible book with no academic argument. I almost feel disrespected ma'am. I really do not know what else to say. Do you want an academic critique?

Mateo said pretty much what I wanted to say regarding your exegesis. Im just surprised you would suggest Kaufman in any debate. Do you understand the credibility that was just lost?

one more thing, involving "image"

If you have an issue with anything considered image I want you to understand that the foundation of what you know of Christ, and of the divine comes from theology that was strong about using the term "image" for christ. the trinitarian controversy, as well as the modalist controversy which developed much of the foundation you take for granted and assume is naturally exegetical use the term "image" to define the son

Graven Bread? c'mon

[quote]I own that book. I cant believe you would suggest that book as any kind of credible source. It is a horrible book with no academic argument. I almost feel disrespected ma'am. I really do not know what else to say. Do you want an academic critique?

Mateo said pretty much what I wanted to say regarding your exegesis. Im just surprised you would suggest Kaufman in any debate. Do you understand the credibility that was just lost?[/quote]

Come on thats not presenting arguments, that just playing the Catholic apologist game of questioning a source, and saying its not even viable.

Why would that lose any credibility because you dont agree with him? [whats all that academic stuff about, like youre going to judge everything by the academic world which even within Christianity borders on functional agnosticism]

You're a smart guy and that is kind of a weak argument.

[quote]Budge - Henceforth, whether quoting someone else or not, you will not refer to the Holy Eucharist as a "cracker".[/quote]Well that was a quote, I guess I could have blotted that word out. Notice I use wafer in my own writing instead of cracker or cookie. That seems to be the most neutral word I can use.

[quote]
In that case, you should stand shoulder-to-shoulder with the Jews and Muslims who use the same logic to attack the dogma of the Incarnation, claiming that we are worshipping a created man (i.e. their view of Jesus) instead of God. I seriously doubt you could make an argument to counter such an attack that couldn't be immediately used by those of us who believe in the words of chapter 6 of the Gospel of St. John (among other passages that support the Christian belief of the Real Presence).[/quote]

Of course I believe in the Incarnation..that is one reason I do not believe a piece of bread is God. In fact I believe in a way the catholic Eucharist diminishes the Incarnation. Jesus is in heaven with God, {His body too}. There is no way that Jesus is in millions of pieces of bread. The Holy Spirit is Who is with us.

[quote name='Budge' post='1210327' date='Mar 8 2007, 11:32 AM']Well that was a quote, I guess I could have blotted that word out. Notice I use wafer in my own writing instead of cracker or cookie. That seems to be the most neutral word I can use.
Of course I believe in the Incarnation..that is one reason I do not believe a piece of bread is God. In fact I believe in a way the catholic Eucharist diminishes the Incarnation. Jesus is in heaven with God, {His body too}. There is no way that Jesus is in millions of pieces of bread. The Holy Spirit is Who is with us.[/quote]
With your belief, how do you explaine Jesus saying 'This is my Body' while refering to a loaf of bread in Scripture?

Edited by Anomaly