An Old School Catholic Message Board

Motive For Your Actions

dairygirl4u2c

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Super poll, dairy. In all seriousness, this has got to be the greatest poll on PH, ever. I can imagine the squirming now.

Anomaly is right... I have to say I need to pray about this one for a minute. I want to say 10 but I think it constitutes bragging... though polls are somewhat anonymous... just give me a minute! :)

The answer to the poll depends upon what is meant by the term "Fear of God." If by "Fear of God" the original poster means a recognition of His awesome majesty and glory, then the term is closely related to the "Love of God," but if by "fear" the original poster means simply being afraid of God, i.e., because God is some kind of horrible tyrant who punishes human beings out of a monstrous sense of justice, then it is not related to God's love at all, and should not be taken into account by a Christian.

There are some things I don't do because they are an affront to God and I fear punishment.
There are some things I do because it's acknowledged by Society to be good and beneficial.
There are some things I don't do because I'd hate to pay the societal punishment if I got caught.
There are some things I do because I believe they may be pleasing to God.

Groo the Wanderer

I cannot answer the poll because you left off the correct answer: Fear of God and Love of God are the same thing. It is an all-encompassing love of the like that I fear to ever be without. It is an awe of His might, His wisdom, His majesty, His love, and His mercy that inspires fear in my enemies.

His love is boundless, His mercy overflowing, His strength unyielding. The awe with which he fills me does indeed quake me to my roots. Call it fear...call it love, just be sure to call me a Child of God.

Unfortunately, you have not allowed me to pick both 1 and 10....

I agree with STM she meant fear of Hell....

fear of Hell can be a cause of imperfect contrition, but that still gains you forgiveness. Perfect love is hard to achieve.