An Old School Catholic Message Board

Opinions On Birth Control Pills

Urib2007

[quote name='Socrates' post='1205605' date='Feb 27 2007, 06:16 PM']Contraceptive birth control pills are wrong whether or not they harm a woman's body.[/quote]

Agreed here. Regardless of what it does to the woman, that is not the dominant moral implication.

And thank you Archaeology Cat...that is a beautiful sharing that I am sure alot of women could benefit from.

[quote name='The Joey-O' post='1205610' date='Feb 27 2007, 09:41 PM']I agree, contraceptive, especially the pill, is wrong.

I'd like to hear people's opinion on what to do if a doctor attempts to perscibe birth control, say for painful periods or some other condition that they assume birth control is a cure-all for.[/quote]

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1205749' date='Feb 28 2007, 09:30 AM']Hopefully doctors will continue doing more research into the causes of these things instead of just finding a band-aid in the form of the pill.[/quote]

Joey,

To my understanding the church would not permit the usage of birth control bills, regardless of the situation. I say regardless because I do not believe there is a mortal situation they help solve that can not be helped in other ways. As Archaeology cat graciously said Doctors often put a patient on BCP as a band-aid. It stabilizes the situation and makes the symptoms of the problem disappear. But the problem is still there. If she has something really wrong with her like an advanced PID, or something else that only shows on major tests, then putting someone on a BCP is not helping them. Now, if it is just for a "bad period" then we also need to understand that prior to the 60's every woman in the world never used the BCP. As a guy I might sound like a jerk here, but BCP never cured anything besides children in sexually irresponsable parents. There are other ways to deal with a "bad period" (midol, coco, an iron supplement, Omega 3 and some chick-flicks with her ever lovin hubby takin care of her...that way you deal with it as a couple)

ok, /rant..

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Revprodeji' post='1205803' date='Feb 28 2007, 06:16 PM']Joey,

To my understanding the church would not permit the usage of birth control bills, regardless of the situation. I say regardless because I do not believe there is a mortal situation they help solve that can not be helped in other ways. As Archaeology cat graciously said Doctors often put a patient on BCP as a band-aid. It stabilizes the situation and makes the symptoms of the problem disappear. But the problem is still there. If she has something really wrong with her like an advanced PID, or something else that only shows on major tests, then putting someone on a BCP is not helping them. Now, if it is just for a "bad period" then we also need to understand that prior to the 60's every woman in the world never used the BCP. As a guy I might sound like a jerk here, but BCP never cured anything besides children in sexually irresponsable parents. There are other ways to deal with a "bad period" (midol, coco, an iron supplement, Omega 3 and some chick-flicks with her ever lovin hubby takin care of her...that way you deal with it as a couple)

ok, /rant..[/quote]

I don't think you sound like a jerk. :) I think it really boils down to women, and men, needing to be more educated about it. I certainly wasn't educated about it at first, but had to do a lot of my own research (and I was helped out some by working at an OB/GYN office for a year or so in high school).

Oh, and ditch the chick-flicks. Sci-fi or Indiana Jones all the way. :D:

Edited by Archaeology cat

Archaeology cat

[quote name='traichuoi' post='1205770' date='Feb 28 2007, 05:10 PM']And thank you Archaeology Cat...that is a beautiful sharing that I am sure alot of women could benefit from.[/quote]

Thanks. :)

Thy Geekdom Come

During the trial stage for the pill, there was originally a male form as well as a female form. Males experienced slight testicular shrinkage and their product was discontinued. Three women died and their prescription was reduced.

Just some factoids for y'all. :)

yeah, anytime someone brings up how some have to use the pill for other purposes which is suppose to make it morally acceptable, I like to tell them about those women that died.

how many trial stages for other medications cancel the medicine if it is in the least harmful, and this is worse, with those women dying from it? Why do people close their eyes to this?

cathoholic_anonymous

[quote]yeah, anytime someone brings up how some have to use the pill for other purposes which is suppose to make it morally acceptable, I like to tell them about those women that died.[/quote]Catholic teaching does permit women to take the Pill for valid medical reasons. (Acne is not one of them.)

[quote]Now, if it is just for a "bad period" then we also need to understand that prior to the 60's every woman in the world never used the BCP. As a guy I might sound like a jerk here, but BCP never cured anything besides children in sexually irresponsable parents.[/quote]

BCP also helped my sister to walk. Her periods are so terrible that she literally can't stand up straight. She used to crawl down the landing to get to the bathroom. She's been hospitalised on more than one occasion. Her periods also lasted for an abnormal length of time - sometimes up to two weeks. As you can imagine, she can't afford to spend half of each month in bed, especially not with a husband and a child and a job to manage. Homeopathic and herbal remedies have already been tried. The Pill obviously hasn't 'cured' her problem, only stoppered it, but it's the best the doctor has been able to do in five years of treating her. It's not an ideal situation, but no sickness or disorder ever is. If your reasons for taking the Pill are not contraceptive then you aren't morally culpable.

I am against any and all contraceptives, but especially hormonal birth control. Here's why:
1. It can still cause early chemical abortions. If all else fails in preventing ovulation and conception, it can prevent an embryo from implanting, which means a child dies.
2. It's unsafe. According to the National Institutes of Health, b/c pills can cause breast cancer (though the risk drops if you stop taking it for ten years) and can increase your risk of cervical cancer by 15% if you take it for more than ten years. There is also risk of heart attacks, stroke, and blood clots. Yes, usually these risks tend to be for women who smoke and are over 35 but (though it wasn't the pill) there have been teens who've died from blood clots after taking hormonal birth control.
3. It's reproductive poison, why fix something that isn't broken?
4. It's way too overprescribed. Doctors give those pills for multiple medical problems that can be treated by other means. There are many ways of treating cramps, acne, etc. and many treatments for other ailments. I'd rather find out [i][/i]why[i][/i] my period isn't regular than just take some pills

Not to mention that contraception is gravely sinful and offends Our Lord.

MissScripture

[quote name='Cathoholic Anonymous' post='1205936' date='Feb 28 2007, 06:19 PM']Catholic teaching does permit women to take the Pill for valid medical reasons. (Acne is not one of them.)
BCP also helped my sister to walk. Her periods are so terrible that she literally can't stand up straight. She used to crawl down the landing to get to the bathroom. She's been hospitalised on more than one occasion. Her periods also lasted for an abnormal length of time - sometimes up to two weeks. As you can imagine, she can't afford to spend half of each month in bed, especially not with a husband and a child and a job to manage. Homeopathic and herbal remedies have already been tried. The Pill obviously hasn't 'cured' her problem, only stoppered it, but it's the best the doctor has been able to do in five years of treating her. It's not an ideal situation, but no sickness or disorder ever is. If your reasons for taking the Pill are not contraceptive then you aren't morally culpable.[/quote]
Have they figured out WHY this is going on? Or are they trying to? I think that's a big problem with the pill, they just give it out and ignore finding the cause, which can be just as destructive. I'm not saying she should or should not be on it, just that they really need to find out what's really going on so that they can fix the problem and not just the symptom.

[quote name='Cathoholic Anonymous' post='1205936' date='Feb 28 2007, 06:19 PM']Catholic teaching does permit women to take the Pill for valid medical reasons. (Acne is not one of them.)
BCP also helped my sister to walk. Her periods are so terrible that she literally can't stand up straight. She used to crawl down the landing to get to the bathroom. She's been hospitalised on more than one occasion. Her periods also lasted for an abnormal length of time - sometimes up to two weeks. As you can imagine, she can't afford to spend half of each month in bed, especially not with a husband and a child and a job to manage. Homeopathic and herbal remedies have already been tried. The Pill obviously hasn't 'cured' her problem, only stoppered it, but it's the best the doctor has been able to do in five years of treating her. It's not an ideal situation, but no sickness or disorder ever is. If your reasons for taking the Pill are not contraceptive then you aren't morally culpable.[/quote]

Im gonna echo the above post. If your sister has that bad of periods then that is a symptom of something worse. All the doctor is doing is masking the pain, but there could be seriously complications with something else that is going undiscovered.

Medically that is where I would stand...

Now, I am not a priest, nor am I a militant, but I think if the issue was cured from the BCP then it would be ok, as long as it isnt for birth control. But with basic medical knowledge that is like having an itch and waiting to get hit by a car just in the right spot of the itch.

Prayers to your sister friend. My sister suffered from a long-time PID it can be very tough

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1205954' date='Feb 28 2007, 03:47 PM']I can also destroy a woman's sex drive, which is something all husbands should REALLY take into consideration.[/quote]

you can? woah :lol_roll:

:P:

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='Raphael' post='1205867' date='Feb 28 2007, 04:31 PM']During the trial stage for the pill, there was originally a male form as well as a female form. Males experienced slight testicular shrinkage and their product was discontinued. Three women died and their prescription was reduced.

Just some factoids for y'all. :)[/quote]

Where could find a reputable reference for this information? I'd like to have a source for information like this when I'm trying to convince others about the dangers of contraception.

Also, isn't there a male form of the pill coming out soon? I heard something about it a while back.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='traichuoi' post='1206243' date='Mar 1 2007, 11:29 AM']you can? woah :lol_roll:

:P:[/quote]

lol I TOLD dust he needs to increase and darken the print size!!!!!!

cmotherofpirl

I posted a story in Open mic about frogs changing from he frogs to she frogs as a result of all the estrogen in the water from women taking the pills. That combined with all the estrogen in plastic [ baby bottles come to mind] ...if its doing that to frogs, what do you think its doing to us?
Our rivers and streams and ground water is comtaminated with every drug people take. DE officials can estimate how many people are using coke just by checking the rivers and sewers.