An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Do You Put Your Faith In

jesussaves

cathoholic_anonymous

[quote]i feel i am doing you injustice to let you think it's even possible for you ever to become perfect through your own efforts, albeit graced by God.[/quote]

I don't think that, though. Never have.

[quote]What shall it profit, my brethren, if a man say he hath faith, but hath not works? Shall faith be able to save him? And if a brother or sister be naked and want daily food and one of you say to them: Go in peace, be ye warmed and filled; yet give them not those things that are necessary for the body, what shall it profit?
So faith also, if it have not works, is dead in itself. But some man will say: Thou hast faith, and I have works. Show me thy faith without works; and I will show thee, by works, my faith. Thou believest that there is one God. Thou dost well: the devils also believe and tremble. [b]But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead[/b]?[/quote](James 2:14-17)

Faith and works are not seperate things, but go together. "Faith vs. works" is an artificial and false conflict.

And declaring that those who disagree with your particular Protestant brand of theology are damned to hell sounds more like the Pharisee in the temple to me . . .

[quote name='jesussaves' post='1204021' date='Feb 24 2007, 05:01 PM']We are saved by faith alone, but faith is never alone. -Martin Luther[/quote]
Let's not forget Luther's other jem,
"You tell me what a great fuss the Papists are making because the word 'alone' is not in the text of Paul. If your Papist makes such an unnecesary row about the word 'alone' say right out to him: 'Dr. Martin Luther will have it so,' and say: 'Papists and asses are one and the same thing.' I will have it so, and I order it to be so, and my will is reason enough. I know very well that the word 'alone' is not in the Latin or the Greek text, and it was not necessary for the Papists to teach me that. It is true those letters are not in it, which letters the jackasses look at, as a cow stares at a new gate... It shall remain in my New Testament, and if all the Popish donkeys were to get mad and beside themselves, they will not get it out." Cited in John Stoddard, REBUILDING A LOST FAITH
Just a little thought.

+leaves+

Edited by CatholicCid

I believe the legal sacrafice is how we who would be otherwise imperfect are made perfect. We are covered by the snow.

But looking back at some older posts, I forgot an important point that's a credit for you. Correct me if I am mistaken. I haven't gotten a very clear explanation of what purgatory is in this thread or basic internet sites. The older posts said that purgatory is where you are cleansed from temporal sins. By what Cmom says, this is automatic with no effort on their part. The key that's to your credit if true is that the sins that you have remaining at your death are forgiven, probably at your death. There's debate as to when and how. But it's not in purgatory that they are forgiven. If that is the case, there's no point where you have to cooperte. Then Jesus' sacrafice is being applied to forgive them, which I would agree with in that sense. I might differ as to how it's done, but it's a close. I might say I even like your idea better because it does ensure you are clean on the inside. Then again, I know a lot of christians talk about glorification at death, which seems a lot like purgatory except the forgiveness is at a different time. If you got only nine out of ten points, you live eternity in heaven with nine points and the tenth is not for you. This sounds a lot like purgatory possibly.

But before I get too ahead of myself, I think someone should verify if my notions of purgatory are correct.

[quote name='jesussaves' post='1204718' date='Feb 26 2007, 12:48 AM']I believe the legal sacrafice is how we who would be otherwise imperfect are made perfect. We are covered by the snow.[/quote]I find Luther's idea of imputed righteousness to be at odds with Biblical teaching and common sense. For example, in Baptism, we are "washed" clean; the sins aren't merely "covered." Also, I don't think it makes sense that God would declare something (our righteousness) that wasn't true. Where is the purity in a pile of dung covered in snow?

[quote name='jesussaves' post='1204718' date='Feb 26 2007, 12:48 AM']The older posts said that purgatory is where you are cleansed from temporal sins.[/quote]I think you mean "temporal punishment." Purgatory aids souls by cleansing them of the impurities/imperfections caused by "venial sins and the temporal punishment due to sins already forgiven." (quote from Catholic.com)

[quote name='jesussaves' post='1204718' date='Feb 26 2007, 12:48 AM']The key that's to your credit if true is that the sins that you have remaining at your death are forgiven, probably at your death. There's debate as to when and how. But it's not in purgatory that they are forgiven. If that is the case, there's no point where you have to cooperte.[/quote]Don't know exactly why you are excluding the concept of purgatory. I don't think I understand where you're going with the last sentence.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='jesussaves' post='1204718' date='Feb 26 2007, 12:48 AM']I believe the legal sacrifice is how we who would be otherwise imperfect are made perfect. We are covered by the snow.
[color="#FF0000"]Jesus Sacrifice opened the gates of heaven. By our baptism which remits original sin, we are again in a relationship with God. If we sin after Baptism, our relationship is damaged or severed [depending on the sin], until we repent and are forgiven. Our Baptism justifies us to God, and unless we die immediately after in a state of grace, it cannot be itself save us. We are not covered by Baptism or repentence- we are actually cleaned, so sins are wiped away. But like the little kid who breaks someting in anger, God can forgive us but consequences are marked on our soul. THe marks are imperfections that must be removed before we can enter heaven. Purgatory is the cleansing fire that removes the imperfections.[/color]

But looking back at some older posts, I forgot an important point that's a credit for you. Correct me if I am mistaken. I haven't gotten a very clear explanation of what purgatory is in this thread or basic internet sites. The older posts said that purgatory is where you are cleansed from temporal sins. By what Cmom says, this is automatic with no effort on their part.
[color="#FF0000"]Once we are dead, we can make no more effort on our part. If we make it to Purgatory [as opposed t going to hell] Gods cleanising fire readies us for heaven by removing the imperfections left by the sins committed in life. [/color]

The key that's to your credit if true is that the sins that you have remaining at your death are forgiven, probably at your death.
[color="#FF0000"]Nope. We need to be in a state of grace and have our sins forgiven BEFORE we die.[/color]

There's debate as to when and how. But it's not in purgatory that they are forgiven. If that is the case, there's no point where you have to cooperte. Then Jesus' sacrafice is being applied to forgive them, which I would agree with in that sense. I might differ as to how it's done, but it's a close. I might say I even like your idea better because it does ensure you are clean on the inside. Then again, I know a lot of christians talk about glorification at death, which seems a lot like purgatory except the forgiveness is at a different time. If you got only nine out of ten points, you live eternity in heaven with nine points and the tenth is not for you. This sounds a lot like purgatory possibly.

But before I get too ahead of myself, I think someone should verify if my notions of purgatory are correct.

[color="#FF0000"]Sorry if its not quite coherent its past my bed time[/color][/quote]

I know that your comments have been talk about but, if I may take a different path to explain your dialouge.

[quote]I feel sorry you think faith and works are inextricably linked for salvation. Yes they are inextricably linked in that you must progress if you have faith. But you will never gain perfection, but doesn't mean you don't have faith. We are inherently sinful. Do you really believe the saints who lived in the Catholic Churh never sinned at the end of their life?[/quote][b]Galatians 6:7-9: 7[/b] Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. 8 For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting. 9And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.

In this debate you could take the middle path to say, that you may not feel that faith and works are inextricably linked for salvation. But, also say that just faith singular (Sola Fide) cannot save you also!

Hilariously, just thinking about a work is in and of itself, a work! Did not Christ tell to not even imagine killing in our minds for we would be guilty for breaking the commands that Moses brought down? Christ spiritualized the commands of [b]works[/b] that was established in Exodous. So now the works are even important in our minds!

[b]Rev. 22-11-14[/b]. "11 He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous,[b] let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still. 12 And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.[/b] 13 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last. 14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city."

[b]James 2:14-26 - 14[/b] [b]What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?15If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food, 16 And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit? 17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead being alone.[/b] 18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works. 19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble. 20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead? 21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar? 22 Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect? 23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God. 24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and NOT BY FAITH ONLY. 25 Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way? 26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

[quote]Do you really believe the saints who lived in the Catholic Churh never sinned at the end of their life?[/quote]

I'm afraid that I do not know anyone here that prides themselves on a museum of sinless saints. The church is a hospital for sinners, not a museum of saints.

The saint is consider to be a holy one because he/she was sinful like us but, didn't as often fail in the face of tempation. We know because we still have histories of their lives that speak numerously of their achievements.

See Matthew 16:18 for Church Authority on Beatification of Saints.

Remember, Saint does not mean [i] non-sinner[/i] it means holy one. We are all saints and still we are sinners. We just respect our spiritual peers that have gone on before us.

Edited by GloriaIesusChristi

When I said it seems somewhat valid the idea of purgatory I was saying so because you don't have to cooperate anymore. If you don't have to cooperate, it becomes more realistic that you could have the sacrafice applied to you legally. Then the bad parts of you are cut off, if it's like what some protestants believe. That way all you have left are clean parts and you are clean outside and inside.

Then as Cmom says, you don't do anything anymore when you die to earn or anything. You are simply made clean. Right?

[quote]The key that's to your credit if true is that the sins that you have remaining at your death are forgiven, probably at your death.
Nope. We need to be in a state of grace and have our sins forgiven BEFORE we die.[/quote]
As raphael said, most do not reach perfection during this life. And as common sense dictates, most people have venial sins on them even when they die. An unofficial but taught idea in Catholic circles, to my understanding, is that at death, or right before death, God forgives these sins that you still have.

[quote]An unofficial but taught idea in Catholic circles, to my understanding, is that at death, or right before death, God forgives these sins that you still have.[/quote]

Right, but God can only forgive you if you confess. If God can forgive me of all my sins before I die without my consent, I could be the nasty Christian ever and that is obviously what God wants. So, your close but, remember, we may be forgiven, but forgiveness does not replace discipline or purging fire that cleans of the dirt of sin.

[u]Summary[/u]

-God can only forgive is you confess and do penance.[b] unless in severe cases of illness and suffering then the sins are forgiven in the last rites.[/b] But is you are able, God requires that you apoligze for your disobedience and then forgivness is given and never remembered again. (1 John 1:9)

-Just because we say, "Gee, sorry Jesus." doesnt mean we escape discipline from God. Just like disobeying mom and dad. We say sorry to them, but still we get disicplined.

The cookie jar analogie is good for this discussion.

Edited by GloriaIesusChristi

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='GloriaIesusChristi' post='1204884' date='Feb 26 2007, 12:16 PM']The cookie jar analogie is good for this discussion.[/quote]
Who me? Couldn't be! Prose stole the cookie from the cookie jar!

So if you take the glorification principle from a lot of christians. and you take purgatory from the Catholic Church, it seems the only place there's disagreement is when the sins are forgiven. With protestants they are all forgiven at a certain point of conversion. With Catholics, most are forgiven for their own sake as you have no longer done them, but there still remains at the end of your life a legal forgiveness. You are legally forgiven, the snow is covering your dung, of your venial sins at your death.
The dispute seems actually petty. I suppose I could even see liking the Catholic position better, as it doesn't forgive all sins just because, it forgives a lesser amount of sins legally at your death.

Note then that Catholics are not immune from the legal snow dung argument.

So it seems my only real contention is with the idea of a mortal sin. I'm sure there's a liberal Catholic way of understanding it though that doesn't necessarily conflict with my ideas, which is odd, because all these things depend on teachings that are not doctrine but can be contstrued to fit my brand of Christianity.

[quote name='jesussaves' post='1205014' date='Feb 26 2007, 08:57 PM']Note then that Catholics are not immune from the legal snow dung argument.[/quote]Just out of curiousity, do you consider that the "dung pile"
metaphor would apply to Adam and Eve before the Fall?

nope. that was before the crucifiction.
you shouldn't be asking only me, apparently catholics believe it too in a different way.