An Old School Catholic Message Board

What's In A President?

The Joey-O

With the primary races already heating up (at least for the Democrats), I thought it would be appropriate to ask the question: what does one look for when deciding a presidential candidate?

The common issues that are brought up are:

-Economic Policy
-Foreign Policy
-Social Values

I believe these areas are important for consideration, but I believe there is at least one other area of importance that often don't get enough consideration: leadership.

I hear a lot of: "does the candidate have experience as a leader?" But, what I don't hear very often is questions like:
-"What has the candidate's leadership facilitated?"
-"Does the candidate have the personal integrity and charisma to generate respect from his colleagues?"

You see, policy issues that a presidential and guvenatorial candidates say they care about seem to be less important than the ones they've facilitated in bringing out. I say this, because executive offices don't legislate. They can influence legislation, and they can have veto power. However, most of the development of the policy is left to the legislative branch of the government. If a governer, president, even CEO, has a record of successfully facilitating policies that seem beneficial, then he would appear to have good leadership qualities.

This can get murky when you consider whether the legislative body that a leader is working with is sympathetic or antagonistic to the leader. For example, if a democratic candidate has facilitated over a normally "red state" and produced some very successful legislation, then he would most probably be a good leader. However, if a democratic candidate produces successful legislation in a "blue state" this may be an indication that he is a good leader OR it may just be an indication that the people he's working with are very good at what they do.

I am interested in hearing what other people consider when deciding who to vote for. All opinions are welcome.

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1202768' date='Feb 22 2007, 06:32 PM']I vote for the dreamy guy ... the last election was really difficult for me.[/quote]

I can imagine, the two candidates had the looks of a wrinkled up shoe and a very old monkey.

[quote name='The Joey-O' post='1202749' date='Feb 22 2007, 06:40 PM']With the primary races already heating up (at least for the Democrats), I thought it would be appropriate to ask the question: what does one look for when deciding a presidential candidate?

The common issues that are brought up are:

-Economic Policy
-Foreign Policy
-Social Values

I believe these areas are important for consideration, but I believe there is at least one other area of importance that often don't get enough consideration: leadership.

I hear a lot of: "does the candidate have experience as a leader?" But, what I don't hear very often is questions like:
-"What has the candidate's leadership facilitated?"
-"Does the candidate have the personal integrity and charisma to generate respect from his colleagues?"

You see, policy issues that a presidential and guvenatorial candidates say they care about seem to be less important than the ones they've facilitated in bringing out. I say this, because executive offices don't legislate. They can influence legislation, and they can have veto power. However, most of the development of the policy is left to the legislative branch of the government. If a governer, president, even CEO, has a record of successfully facilitating policies that seem beneficial, then he would appear to have good leadership qualities.

This can get murky when you consider whether the legislative body that a leader is working with is sympathetic or antagonistic to the leader. For example, if a democratic candidate has facilitated over a normally "red state" and produced some very successful legislation, then he would most probably be a good leader. However, if a democratic candidate produces successful legislation in a "blue state" this may be an indication that he is a good leader OR it may just be an indication that the people he's working with are very good at what they do.

I am interested in hearing what other people consider when deciding who to vote for. All opinions are welcome.[/quote]
I realize this isn't a popular position, but as Catholic Christians, the candidates' position on moral issues, especially the "life issues" of abortion and euthanasia, should take top priority.
Of course, this itself can be controversial, as people can disagree on whether one should vote for a "pure" candidate with no chance of winning, or someone who is imperfect, but has a chance.
However, voting for someone who is clearly and openly pro-abortion because one agrees more with, say, that candidate's economic ideas, is unacceptable.

I think "leadership" as defined here is actually overrated - it commonly means - rather than true leadership - one who is willing to compromise. Compromise, and being able to cut deals, has its place in politics, of course. But all too often this "leadership" really means "willingness to sacrifice one's own principles and integrity" or "someone who will be a pushover for us."

[quote name='Socrates' post='1202835' date='Feb 22 2007, 09:10 PM']\I think "leadership" as defined here is actually overrated - it commonly means - rather than true leadership - one who is willing to compromise. Compromise, and being able to cut deals, has its place in politics, of course. But all too often this "leadership" really means "willingness to sacrifice one's own principles and integrity" or "someone who will be a pushover for us."[/quote]

Sorry Socrates, but if you think anything is done in American politics without compromise, then you are either way too naive or you have an idealism that will probably never be effective on this contenant. Now, I agree with what you said about the dignity of human life being the number 1 priority. Any policies that move us in that direction would be benificial. It would be great to vote in a candidate that was totally against abortion, euthenasia, etc. There are candidates like this, but they aren't in the front runners.

Leadership, as I understand it, isn't a totalitarian grip on your colleagues and subordinates. Leadership as I understand it is the ability to facilitate positive development in and through a group. It's very difficult in politics, because usually about 50% of the people you work with have contrary agendas. Does that mean you can't compromise with them? Absolutely not. I have opinions on economics, foreign policy, tax reform, etc., but I am willing to make compromises on those issues, [i]especially if I can improve right-to-life issues[/i].

Compromise doesn't entail compromising one's values. If you think that's what I meant, I guess you didn't read the part about integrity.

dairygirl4u2c

ha joey i like your style. not to mention your perspective is the most moral one yet on this thread. really though it's all rhetoric. there's somethings you have to give on, something ya can't. it depends on the specific situation. nothing here is necessarily contrary to what anyone else is saying. perhaps it reflects how you'd act on the specifics. more than likely, but not necessarily.

Groo the Wanderer

Pro-life
stong defense
limited government
pro-religion
cut taxes
flat tax or natl sales tax
less social programs (let private orgs do this - govt sux it all up)
anti UN

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1202768' date='Feb 22 2007, 06:32 PM']hotness
that is all I care about
I vote for the dreamy guy[/quote]

Good to know I have your vote.

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' post='1203045' date='Feb 23 2007, 09:18 AM']Pro-life
stong defense
limited government
pro-religion
cut taxes
flat tax or natl sales tax
less social programs (let private orgs do this - govt sux it all up)
anti UN[/quote]

:detective: Are you a republican? ;)

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1203066' date='Feb 23 2007, 08:40 AM']Good to know I have your vote.[/quote]
:hehehe:

Sure! In 20 years, when you're old enough to run for president, I'll vote for you.

As long as you retain your hotness, that is.

:P:

Groo the Wanderer

[quote name='The Joey-O' post='1203476' date='Feb 23 2007, 04:05 PM']:detective: Are you a republican? ;)[/quote]

Nope. Nor a whacked out dem, nor a freakazoid libertarian

I think hotness would be legit. If a woman ran who had a chance.

Probably the ability for the pres to speak clearly and not look like an idiot. Is that too much to ask?

I could say morals, and human life. and dear Fluff you know that is my ideals, but the pres really does not have that much control.