An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Salesian Sisters

philosophette

How many of you know of the Salesian Sisters?   

36 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

How many convents do you guys have here? Also is there like a motherhouse where all those in formation go? Lastly are you guys contemplative at all?....Like semi-contemplative or something?

[quote name='Marieteresa' post='1204044' date='Feb 24 2007, 06:21 PM']How many convents do you guys have here? Also is there like a motherhouse where all those in formation go? Lastly are you guys contemplative at all?....Like semi-contemplative or something?[/quote]

A list of places where the FMAs are at in the Eastern Province is [i][b][url="http://salesiansisterseast.org/universal.htm"]here[/url][/b][/i]

In the Western Province [i][b][url="http://www.salesiansisterswest.org/schools.html"]here [/url][/b][/i]

The US is split up into two provinces - the Eastern one (which is what I am a part of) goes to the Mississippi river.

Our Motherhouse is in Italy, our Provincial House for the East is in North Haledon, NJ. Currently aspirants and postulants study in Bellflower, CA with both provinces coming together for formation. That may change in the future, however, as our numbers keep increasing. The Novitiate is currently in Rome, but it may be moved back to NJ, again, because are growing! :yahoo:

If a Sister does not study in Italy she will get to go there at some point because we feel it is very important that we understand our roots and get to visit places significant to the Salesian family.

We consider ourselves active-contemplatives. We have a daily mass, Morning and evening prayer, rosary, and visit to the Blessed Sacrament. A monthly day of recollection helps us to keep ourselves spiritually "fit". All in all there is about 2 1/2 hrs of community prayer a day and one is free to make more visits and devote time to prayer as their ministry allows but we are very busy! We also like to have adoration whenever we can, as Don Bosco emphasized the importance of a Eucharistic/Marian life!

I hope that answers your questions. Thanks for asking! :cool:

Just wondering, I wanted to know what your communites views are on the habit. I know that you guys wear one...but some of the other international houses have stopped wearing it. Do you think this will become a trend with your community in the future? The reason I ask is because there are some active benedictines here...who gradually progress from full habit to wearing no habit at all. I know this issue is very important to alot of discerners here on PM. Thanks!

[quote name='Marieteresa' post='1204443' date='Feb 25 2007, 05:05 PM']Just wondering, I wanted to know what your communites views are on the habit. I know that you guys wear one...but some of the other international houses have stopped wearing it. Do you think this will become a trend with your community in the future? The reason I ask is because there are some active benedictines here...who gradually progress from full habit to wearing no habit at all. I know this issue is very important to alot of discerners here on PM. Thanks![/quote]

Very good question. We love wearing the habit. Among those houses that do not wear the habit it is generally because it is dangerous to be seen as a religious in public. We want our sisters to be able to carry out their ministry. Certainly if martyrdom comes I am sure each sister would gladly testify to her faith, but we do not want to be foolish, either. This is not unusual for religious who wear habits. Bl Miguel Pro was a Jesuit Mexican priest who often could not wear his clericals because of the persecution of the Church

^_^

[quote name='cmariadiaz' post='1204523' date='Feb 25 2007, 08:06 PM']I can't see the poll questions :-([/quote]

Really? I can see them just fine. Is it your browser? I know PM has had a lot of issues lately.

Edited by happynun

[quote name='Cathoholic Anonymous' post='1204617' date='Feb 25 2007, 10:01 PM']To parrot my usual question...do the Salesian Sisters ever work with mentally ill adolescents?[/quote]

Well, first of all the term mentally ill is probably not the best one, but our ministry is to young people of all ages, and some of them, yes, have some issues and problems in their lives, but our job does not involve treating psychological issues (although we will do all that we can to get them help, if they so desire it).

Our cousin Order, The Daughters of St Mary of Providence work exclusively with the physically/mentally handicapped, so if you are looking for an order that does that[u][b], [url="http://www.luigiguanella.com/Daughters.html"]here[/url] [/b][/u] is their website.

Hope that this helps! ^_^

Still can't see the poll questions on any of the computers that I have access to ... I have a pretty standard setup (no real changes).

If anyone has any ideas that would be good -- but what would really help is if someone can post them so that I can answer them and get into the conversation.

Thanks!

Here are the questions

[i] How many of you know of the Salesian Sisters?
[/i]
[b]Are you familar with who the Salesian Sisters are?[/b]
Yes
No
I only have a general idea

[b]Have you ever met a Salesian Sister? (happynun on PM is one)[/b]
Yes
No

[b]Did you know that St John Bosco and St Mary Mazzarello founded them? (Don Bosco and Mama Mazz rock!)[/b]
Yep, I knew that.
REALLY?! I had no idea.
Well, I knew about Don Bosco, but not Mother Mazz

I hope that this helps! :blush: