An Old School Catholic Message Board

Reversing The Culture Of Death

Didymus

Natural Family Planning  

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My idea is that if NFP is promoted more on a secular, social basis, than more people would use it instead of unhealthy and immoral contraception.

My own opinion is that the way to end abortion in America is to attack its history. End the need for birth control and we won't have people complaining that there will be unsafe 'coat hanger' abortions when abortion is illegal again.

It doesnt exactly refute the argument that retains legalized abortion in cases of rape however.

Any ideas?

Edited by Didymus

among married people it might make a difference,

What it does not do is work for the pre-marital sex group which is where most the abortions and such happen anyway. If people are not responsable enough to keep their pants on, why would you assume they could chart?

also, dont quote me on this. But I think muscus production is different in teenagers than in adult women. So in order for NFP to work someone would not be able to use it at 14,15. and yes, people are having lots of sex at 14 and 15

Not to mention the feminist angle also. But that could be an issue.

The joke is made that people spend tons of money on condoms and such to prevent STD's and the worse STD to society is a child. That is the cruel sad craptacular world we live in.

The gov't will not help us with morals, it wont defend marriage, it wont do the job the church should do.

/.rant

good input. thank you revprod.

btw, what do you mean by the feminist angle?

Im not looking so much for a debate as I am looking for people to tear this up and critique so I can keep working on it.

oh no problem.

To generalize if you have a corporate woman who is trying to compete in what she sees as a male-driven society she can "take a pill" and not worry, it is quick, not messy and "scientific" yet for her to record a chart and such it would be limiting for her. kind of the whole "its my body dont tell me what to do with it"

This is not my argument, but I have heard it before.

In my bet, with a society trying to become more health-aware, the damage done by artificial birth control is the best angle. Even the moral angle does not work well with protestants.

What are some other arguments you have?

I somewhat thought that if there was more of an nfp promotion for married couples, and the masses actually start using it because of the fact that contraception is so unhealthy, then many others will open their eyes as to why it is a huge problem that we're still poisoning our teens with the same birth control that our married couple have stopped using.

The teen pregnancy baffles me because the culture we have been lied to so much about birth control all the way since the founding of planned parenthood.
:ohno: such a seemingly insurmountable task...

I strongly agree that if it was active in promotion and education among the married faithful I feel that it could have a strong ripple effect. My wife was in school for exercise phys and you would be surprised the misconceptions she had about NFP

I'm usually against giving more power to the Feds too, cuz I kinda consider myself a conservative republican, but I feel that intervention and assistance was necessary during the Great Depression, and right now we're in a moral great depression.

Birgitta Noel

Your second question is frustrating cause I'd say yes to the first part and no to the second. So I voted no.

Ironically if secular feminists could stop talking about the need for abortion for just 5 seconds they might see that NFP is actually truer to their feminist ideals than hormonal contraceptives are. (Not so sure we could make the same argument for condoms.

Birgitta Noel

I think that if NFP were taught more widely you'd see the use of contraceptives decline. BUT I don't think that that would make the perceived "need" for legal abortion go away, especially since it would be a particularly hard sell to totally do away with legal abortion in the "exceptional" cases, rape/incest. (I'm not saying these are ok, just stating why I think it wouldn't go away).

I think NFP would definately help do away with society's "need" for abortion. I mean sure, there would probably be what are considered the "exceptional" cases, but I think NFP would help by doing away with abortions that are committed without a reason. Which is good because it's a STEP towards helping to promote a culture of life, and once the government decides that in order to have an abortion a woman must have a reason it will help to demolish abortion all together.

Hmm...I think convincing people that NFP is beneficial would be great, and there's a couple of things people would readily accept as good:

-The health benefits of not chemically altering your fertility.
-The low cost and high effecctivity.

I think these and other reasons would be both beneficial and convincing, but I think convincing people of the basic dignity of every person should be the ultimate goal. This is the far more challenging one.

I perhaps jumped gun on that last question. My intentions are looking at the best possible route to end the culture of death. There is some truth to our opponents' argument - there will be more illegal 'back alley' abortions if Roe v Wade is overturned today and abortion were eventually made illegal. Thus I'm looking and brainstorming where this route is. I'm trying to imagine a country that better promoted NFP and trying to see where that would lead. I'm coming to realize I don't know what the next step would be. The idea that sex has become so normal to teen relationships really confuses that next step, and I fear that would probably be the biggest stumbling block.

[quote name='The Little Way' post='1202233' date='Feb 21 2007, 11:52 PM']Your second question is frustrating cause I'd say yes to the first part and no to the second. So I voted no.

Ironically if secular feminists could stop talking about the need for abortion for just 5 seconds they might see that NFP is actually truer to their feminist ideals than hormonal contraceptives are. (Not so sure we could make the same argument for condoms.[/quote]

are you referring to the third question, The Little Way?