An Old School Catholic Message Board

Does God Exist?

Resurrexi

On the existence of God and the arguments for and against it.  

44 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

StThomasMore, can I ask you a question?

Why do you post questions like this on Phatmass? Are you unsure of your faith? Do you need people to tell you what you need to think, feel, believe and behave?

God does recommed that we should seek out believers, because there is safety with multiple counsellors, but at the same time, you shouldn't be going out asking these questions all the time, unless it is some sort of class lesson. If it is, than forget what I have just said. I am only making an assumption.

You are to study to show yourself approved. You go out and keep on learning and desiring to know more of God's word and God's truth. Sometimes it is important to come to ask questions of believers for clarification, but God expects us to do that ourselves.

My opinion regarding most posters here.
They are merely seeking validation of their opinion or belief via consensus. They are too afraid to fear they may be wrong because they lack the intellectual honesty to work their own way back and validate their belief themselves.

It's easier to never doubt God's existence and not put in the time or effort to pray, philosophize, and reason your way back to believing in God.

You it's sad when you replace "knowing God" with "knowing there is a God".

Not to say they're neccessarily wrong. The Father loves the Faithful Son just as much as He loves the Prodigal Son.

I know God exitsts :)

my human biology class reaffirms the existance of God everyday. The human body is so complex and so perfect in the way it runs, it can't possibly be a form of just a bunch of cells finding each other saying "hey, let's make a person"

Justified Saint

Luckily there is the intervening wisdom of Anomaly to set everyone aright...

Anyway, I do tend to believe that traditional theistic proofs are pretty bad, to put it mildly. Philosophical theism usually involves question begging or just plain inconsistencies. The best atheistic arguments are simply those that point out the weaknesses of these proofs. If theism is so reasonable beyond any doubt, as someone else has already pointed out, then we wouldn't have any atheists. But that shouldn't be all that suprising since faith in God ought to rest on...faith. I would be a little worried if someone ever became a believer solely over reading a philosophical proof for theism.

[quote name='Anomaly' post='1206610' date='Mar 1 2007, 08:14 PM']My opinion regarding most posters here.
They are merely seeking validation of their opinion or belief via consensus. They are too afraid to fear they may be wrong because they lack the intellectual honesty to work their own way back and validate their belief themselves.

It's easier to never doubt God's existence and not put in the time or effort to pray, philosophize, and reason your way back to believing in God.[/quote]

Um. I think that through prayer, philosophizing, and reasoning, one comes to Christ as the Truth.

I think that being sure of the Truth has nothing to do with lacking intellectual honesty. In fact, I think that faith, without any intellectual backing is often weak.

[quote name='Justified Saint' post='1206710' date='Mar 2 2007, 12:17 AM']Luckily there is the intervening wisdom of Anomaly to set everyone aright...

Anyway, I do tend to believe that traditional theistic proofs are pretty bad, to put it mildly. Philosophical theism usually involves question begging or just plain inconsistencies. The best atheistic arguments are simply those that point out the weaknesses of these proofs. If theism is so reasonable beyond any doubt, as someone else has already pointed out, then we wouldn't have any atheists. But that shouldn't be all that suprising since faith in God ought to rest on...faith. I would be a little worried if someone ever became a believer solely over reading a philosophical proof for theism.[/quote]I think you're being sarcastic?

I agree whole heartedly with your statement: "But that shouldn't be all that suprising since faith in God ought to rest on...faith."

I contend we always have a choice. Some choices are more logical, more reasonable, or more 'good'. Every human is graced with evidence for God, as well as doubts of His existence. God has chosen to not provide overwhelming evidence that we cannot chose to ignore Him. Scripture tells you that we would die if we saw the face of God as imperfect humans. You can read that as if we were faced with completely irrefutable evidence of God, we probably would loose the ability to come to know God via our own Free Will. Even as Jesus walked the earth, he did not choose to command all the World and leave no doubts. Yes, Jesus gave evidence and proof, but not always irrefutable. The Apostles weren't idiots, and after 3 years with Jesus, didn't really grasp who Jesus is.

Bottom line. God always leaves ample room for each and everyone of us to freely answer the same question Jesus posed to Pilate. "Who do YOU say I am?"