An Old School Catholic Message Board

Which Bible Should We Trust?

Urib2007

I think you're making this argument on the wrong website. I don't think you need to attack bad Protestant translations on a Catholic website. You might as well attack the J.W.'s New World Translation.

If I could close the sub-thread of Protestant-vs-Protestant translations, here's a funny piece of KJV only-vs-KJV only:

[url="http://www.kjvonly.org/james/may_reviews_pr.htm"]http://www.kjvonly.org/james/may_reviews_pr.htm[/url]

Quoting the first paragraph:[quote]In this classic tome of biblical knowledge, exhaustive research, and careful reasoning, Gail Riplinger brings the full weight of her scholarship and technical expertise in home economics to bear upon the daunting question of Bible texts and translation. Her ignorance of Greek and Hebrew is no deterrent to thorough investigation as she navigates the murky waters surrounding satanic influence in modern Bible versions.[/quote]Kinda silly stuff...

G.A. Riplinger has B.A., and M.F.A degrees and has done additional postgraduate study at Harvard and Cornell Universities. As a university professor, the author taught seventeen different courses, authored six college textbooks and was selected for the Honor Society's teaching award and membership in a national Education Honorary.
As one of fifty educators world-wide selected to be in an international edition of [i]Who's Who[/i], the author was invited by the President's Citizen Ambassador Program to be a representative to Russia.

[quote name='Urib2007' post='1204064' date='Feb 24 2007, 05:34 PM']G.A. Riplinger has B.A., and M.F.A degrees and has done additional postgraduate study at Harvard and Cornell Universities. As a university professor, the author taught seventeen different courses, authored six college textbooks and was selected for the Honor Society's teaching award and membership in a national Education Honorary.[/quote]I have a B.S. and post-graduate study too, but nothing related to Biblical Scholarship. You've piqued my curiousity, though. What field(s) were her BA and MFA degrees in?

[quote name='Urib2007' post='1204064' date='Feb 24 2007, 05:34 PM']As one of fifty educators world-wide selected to be in an international edition of [i]Who's Who[/i], the author was invited by the President's Citizen Ambassador Program to be a representative to Russia.[/quote]If I had a dime for every time I was invited to be included in a "Who's Who" list...I'd be a rich man.

"It is within Rome, called the city of seven hills, that the entire Vatican State is now confined."
- [i]The Catholic Encyclopedia[/i]

According to the book of Revelation, these seven hills will serve as the spires for Satan's church. [i]What Ever Happened to Heaven[/i], by Dave Hunt, follows the history of this church where the marriage of Christian terms and pagan ideas takes place. He concluded:

"There seems little doubt that this false abominable last-days religious system called Mystery Babylon (Revelation 17:5) will have its headquarters at the Vatican. The joint histories of the Roman Empire and the Roman Catholic Church provide a fascinating preview of what John in Revelation foretells as yet to come. While its headquarters will be Rome, this false religious system will represent all churches, denominations, cults and religions in one."

Religion and politics mix as biblical prophecy points also to the revived Roman Empire as the Antichrist's political base. Some scholars observe that the [i]Donation of Constantine[/i] set the stage.

According to [i]New Dimensions in New Testament Study[/i], pp. 125-126:
"Many medieval texts justify papal claims to temporal sovereignty over the Roman Empire by reference to the Donation of Constantine, by which the first 'Christian' emperor, in the 4th century, willed the Empire to the bishop of Rome in gratitude for curing him of leprosy."

This 'donation' has gathered 'interest' down through the centuries. Pope Innocent III and others have tried to 'collect' saying, "Royal power derives from the Pontifical authority." Pope Boniface VIII repeated, "Temporal power should be subject to the spiritual."
Today many, like U.N. Assistant Secretary General Muller are ready to donate the planet when Rome passes the plate. Muller's book devotes four chapters to Rome's focal place in the 'New World Order.' He remarks:

"One could trace the world's main historic events for the last 2000 years by studying the Pope's visits. I expect the Pope to add a spiritual dimension to the emerging world vision...which would make the heart of the world's 4.5 billion people beat as one.

I really wish that someday a book containing the U.N. speeches of the 2 Popes...might be published for worldwide distribution. The result would be a kind of Bible for modern times...The Holy See has become so close to the U.N...When I read documents emanating from the Holy See...I sometimes have the impression that I'm reading U.N. documents."

The wheel propelling the Pope's political inroads is being oiled by his many patrons and publishing houses. His representatives hold key positions in major organizations working for a One World government. Notre Dame University's President is chairman of Planetary Citizens, Jesuit William F. Ryan is the Pope's proxy at the Club of Rome, while [i]Pax Christi[/i] retains close ties with Planetary Initiative for the World We Choose. The church's Paulist Press publishes, among their host of New Age books, [i]Toward a Human World Order[/i], promoting the "mark of the beast." While Rome has its eyes on the world, the New Age is setting up its stage in the Pope's vicarage.

G.A. Riplinger "New Age Visions"

[quote name='Mateo el Feo' post='1204079' date='Feb 24 2007, 02:39 PM']I have a B.S. and post-graduate study too, but nothing related to Biblical Scholarship. You've piqued my curiousity, though. What field(s) were her BA and MFA degrees in?[/quote]

There are not many areas online where you can find what her degrees are in. I'm assuming she didn't list them since they have nothing to do with biblical studies or theology. One site I found stated her degrees were in interior design. :idontknow: No wonder she doesn't list them.

[quote name='Urib2007' post='1204136' date='Feb 24 2007, 06:14 PM']There are not many areas online where you can find what her degrees are in. I'm assuming she didn't list them since they have nothing to do with biblical studies or theology. One site I found stated her degrees were in interior design. :idontknow: No wonder she doesn't list them.[/quote]She might be able to save me from the "Church of Rome," but maybe she could save my living room with some updated furniture and window treatment. :)

[quote name='Mateo el Feo' post='1204233' date='Feb 24 2007, 08:12 PM']She might be able to save me from the "Church of Rome," but maybe she could save my living room with some updated furniture and window treatment. :)[/quote]

Hahaha! You are witty! :-)

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Urib2007' post='1204125' date='Feb 24 2007, 06:05 PM']"It is within Rome, called the city of seven hills, that the entire Vatican State is now confined."

According to the book of Revelation, these seven hills will serve as the spires for Satan's church. [i]What Ever Happened to Heaven[/i], by Dave Hunt, follows the history of this church where the marriage of Christian terms and pagan ideas takes place. He concluded:

"There seems little doubt that this false abominable last-days religious system called Mystery Babylon (Revelation 17:5) will have its headquarters at the Vatican. The joint histories of the Roman Empire and the Roman Catholic Church provide a fascinating preview of what John in Revelation foretells as yet to come. While its headquarters will be Rome, this false religious system will represent all churches, denominations, cults and religions in one."

Religion and politics mix as biblical prophecy points also to the revived Roman Empire as the Antichrist's political base. Some scholars observe that the [i]Donation of Constantine[/i] set the stage.

"Many medieval texts justify papal claims to temporal sovereignty over the Roman Empire by reference to the Donation of Constantine, by which the first 'Christian' emperor, in the 4th century, willed the Empire to the bishop of Rome in gratitude for curing him of leprosy."

This 'donation' has gathered 'interest' down through the centuries. Pope Innocent III and others have tried to 'collect' saying, "Royal power derives from the Pontifical authority." Pope Boniface VIII repeated, "Temporal power should be subject to the spiritual."
Today many, like U.N. Assistant Secretary General Muller are ready to donate the planet when Rome passes the plate. Muller's book devotes four chapters to Rome's focal place in the 'New World Order.' He remarks:

"One could trace the world's main historic events for the last 2000 years by studying the Pope's visits. I expect the Pope to add a spiritual dimension to the emerging world vision...which would make the heart of the world's 4.5 billion people beat as one.

I really wish that someday a book containing the U.N. speeches of the 2 Popes...might be published for worldwide distribution. The result would be a kind of Bible for modern times...The Holy See has become so close to the U.N...When I read documents emanating from the Holy See...I sometimes have the impression that I'm reading U.N. documents."

The wheel propelling the Pope's political inroads is being oiled by his many patrons and publishing houses. His representatives hold key positions in major organizations working for a One World government. Notre Dame University's President is chairman of Planetary Citizens, Jesuit William F. Ryan is the Pope's proxy at the Club of Rome, while [i]Pax Christi[/i] retains close ties with Planetary Initiative for the World We Choose. The church's Paulist Press publishes, among their host of New Age books, [i]Toward a Human World Order[/i], promoting the "mark of the beast." While Rome has its eyes on the world, the New Age is setting up its stage in the Pope's vicarage.
G.A. Riplinger "New Age Visions"[/quote]
interesting but erronous and has NOTHING to do with the topic.

For the record, I can only read a little syriac.

And King James Only people are using traditions of men claiming to be the word of God. I have two undergraduate degrees and a Masters, but not in home Econ

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1204525' date='Feb 25 2007, 04:07 PM']interesting but erronous and has NOTHING to do with the topic.[/quote]

[img]http://tn3-2.deviantart.com/fs6/300W/i/2005/111/a/3/ouroboros_by_Saki_BlackWing.jpg[/img]

Well, I started the topic, so.... Anyway, just curious, why do did you choose that stylized oroboros serpent biting its tail? I'm sure you already know that it's a symbol used in Theosophy. Of what I understand, this symbol was seen as early as 1600 BC in Egypt. I remember that Cleopatra liked it a lot.

Check out this quote:

"This snake is biting its own tail and in the occult tradition, it is called the 'Ouroboros'. It is a complex symbol, for it represents many things ... However, its most obvious symbolism is connected with time -- with the notion that the passage of time is somehow involved with destruction ... Time devours itself." ["Magic Symbols", Frederick Goodman, p. 6; Note: This is an occult book]

cmotherofpirl

Mine is from an Irish website and its a symbol of eternity.
The one I reallly wanted [ and was made for me] won't load back into PM.:(
Sooner or late I will get it to work.

[quote name='Urib2007' post='1204125' date='Feb 24 2007, 09:05 PM']"It is within Rome, called the city of seven hills, that the entire Vatican State is now confined."

G.A. Riplinger "New Age Visions"[/quote]

Don't you find it ironic at all that you took a pagan worldly symbol (Reeses Peanut Butter Cups, a sign of modern American commerce and the pursuit of instant gratification and money over God) and Christened it, and yet you are condemning the Church for doing the same thing? David Hunt is unfortunately not a reliable source on anything, Catholic or Protestant. On the other hand though David Currie's "Rapture" is an excellent starting point for end of the world conspiracy theories.

[quote name='Akalyte' post='1200840' date='Feb 19 2007, 07:53 PM']The Bible is Catholic[/quote]

Amen. Even my evangelical Protestant boyfriend agrees with that statement. (He defends me against anti-Catholic accusations by asserting that the Catholic Church is responsible for putting the Bible together).

I have an NRSV, an NAB and a KJV(which I got when I first was interested in Christianity and I keep for apologetics and sentimental reasons). I would like to read NJB or DR, but haven't, as of yet, gotten a copy of either.

When people accuse Catholics of not reading the Bible, I laugh. If only they knew we got indulgences for studying the Bible. :lol_roll:

Edited by avemaria40

Catholics aren't bad. There are many Christians in your ranks, and many who aren't.

The Catholic Priests, as well as other Priests of other Religious orders who defile young men and women are Satanic Infiltrators trying to discredit Christanity.

Since Catholics are the biggest Christian group, they are the one people try to discredit the most, because most people think Catholic when it comes to God and Christianity. I don't know how many times people asked me if I was Catholic, for me to say - No, I'm United Pentecostal.

At least I can renounce that one too, I'm not United Pentecostal, because they are not Sabbath Keepers. I'm a lone wolf with friends who keep the Sabbath - the Seventh Day - too.

On Bible Versions. The KJV is a very good translation for the new testament, and the JPS is the best Old Testament translation in the world. Nothing beats Jewish People translating the original Hebrew Text, period.

I don't agree with the Pope, and alot of what he is saying and doing right now. He's wrong about Evolution, the Sabbath, and many other things, and has enough sway in the world to convince people to do things his way. But even the Pope has his masters, and they are the one's we really need to fight.

But Catholics are Christians, and I love you guys so much. Thanks for keeping the texts alive.

[quote name='FullTruth' post='1205628' date='Feb 27 2007, 11:14 PM']Catholics aren't bad. There are many Christians in your ranks, and many who aren't.

The Catholic Priests, as well as other Priests of other Religious orders who defile young men and women are Satanic Infiltrators trying to discredit Christanity.

Since Catholics are the biggest Christian group, they are the one people try to discredit the most, because most people think Catholic when it comes to God and Christianity. I don't know how many times people asked me if I was Catholic, for me to say - No, I'm United Pentecostal.

At least I can renounce that one too, I'm not United Pentecostal, because they are not Sabbath Keepers. I'm a lone wolf with friends who keep the Sabbath - the Seventh Day - too.

On Bible Versions. The KJV is a very good translation for the new testament, and the JPS is the best Old Testament translation in the world. Nothing beats Jewish People translating the original Hebrew Text, period.

I don't agree with the Pope, and alot of what he is saying and doing right now. He's wrong about Evolution, the Sabbath, and many other things, and has enough sway in the world to convince people to do things his way. But even the Pope has his masters, and they are the one's we really need to fight.

But Catholics are Christians, and I love you guys so much. Thanks for keeping the texts alive.[/quote]I'm going to leave aside the arguments you make regarding your peculiar brand of Protestantism, which seems to favor Unitarianism and Sabbatarianism. I just want to suggest that you save these arguments for their own threads and not try to hijack the topic of the thread, which is "Which Bible Should We Trust?"