An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Far Should One Go To Defend The Eucharist?

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

Let me preface by saying that I am not Catholic. I'm a Christian currently unaffiliated with a specific denomination. I moved to a different state to go to school and don't have a church at the moment. I'm NOT one of those people who makes things up as they go, or does a pick and choose until they have assembled a system that works for them. :)

I've been to mass with friends and haven't tried to take communion. It's a rule that's important to Catholics and I respect it. I think most non-Catholics would take a similar stance. They might think it's a strange rule, but wouldn't argue the point. It would be disrespectful and counter to the point of worship.

If someone is so determined to take communion they would probably go to one of those "grape juice and cracker" services anyway. I would ask that someone tell me politely what the reason is and leave it at that. It's my decision to partake or not-see above, I DO respect the rule. The thinking is, "if I incur penalties by partaking when I should not, it's my business."

This is not meant to offend, and I sincerely apologize if it does. It's just a thought on the issue from someone who has been in the position of not being able to partake.

Edited by Nadezhda

I was actually in this situation earlier this year. At my school, one of my nonCatholic friends said that she was gonna receive communion at Mass because she didn't want to be the only one not doing it. I went to the chaplain and said "Father, one of my friends that isn't Catholic said that she's going to receive Communion tomorrow...." and he said that it was ok he was calling all non Catholics to the chapel before Mass to explain to them why they couldnt.

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

[quote name='Nadezhda' post='1200110' date='Feb 18 2007, 11:59 PM']Let me preface by saying that I am not Catholic. I'm a Christian currently unaffiliated with a specific denomination. I moved to a different state to go to school and don't have a church at the moment. I'm NOT one of those people who makes things up as they go, or does a pick and choose until they have assembled a system that works for them. :)

I've been to mass with friends and haven't tried to take communion. It's a rule that's important to Catholics and I respect it. I think most non-Catholics would take a similar stance. They might think it's a strange rule, but wouldn't argue the point. It would be disrespectful and counter to the point of worship.

If someone is so determined to take communion they would probably go to one of those "grape juice and cracker" services anyway. I would ask that someone tell me politely what the reason is and leave it at that. It's my decision partake or not-see above, I DO respect the rule. If I incur penalties by partaking when I should not, it's my business.

This is not meant to offend, and I sincerely apologize if it does. It's just a thought on the issue from someone who has been in the position of not being able to partake.[/quote]

i understand. It is not just that you are incurring penalties, you are also committing sacrilege by unworthily receiving our Lord.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='jmjtina' post='1200082' date='Feb 18 2007, 11:14 PM']usually a non-catholic who plans to recieve has no clue to our rules and have probably been exposed to those Protestant cracker and grape juice ceremonies.

sometimes a simple explanation will suffice. Sometimes a smack to the face will suffice.

whatever works.[/quote]
I know you are from Texas, but I can't imagine you smacking anyone :)

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1200117' date='Feb 18 2007, 10:06 PM']I know you are from Texas, but I can't imagine you smacking anyone :)[/quote]

flowery may have a different view on that comment!!!!!! :)

[quote name='The Little Way' post='1200079' date='Feb 18 2007, 09:09 PM']Ummm, no.

1. STM said

2. YOU HAVE NO WAY OF KNOWING whether or not a person is in a state of grace unless you absolved him or her personally. Last time I checked you weren't a priest.[/quote]

[quote name='Code of Canon Law of the Latin Church']Can. 915 Those upon whom the penalty of excommunication or interdict has been imposed or declared, and others who obstinately persist in manifest grave sin, are not to be admitted to Holy Communion.[/quote]

Birgitta Noel

That's fine to quote the Canon, but it does not say that you, who are not a priest, have any right to determine whether that person meets the requirements of that Canon.