An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Far Should One Go To Defend The Eucharist?

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

Let's say sacrilege is going to be committed, how far should one go to stop it from happening?

im not talking about someone entering a church and stealing the Eucharist. What if a Non-Catholic plans on receiving the Eucharist? How far should one go to stop him/her?

thanks

KnightofChrist

Beg with him, plead with him not to take it, inform the priest if possible... other than that physically stopping him would lead to more trouble

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1199887' date='Feb 18 2007, 06:47 PM']Beg with him, plead with him not to take it, inform the priest if possible... other than that physically stopping him would lead to more trouble[/quote]

ok. Violence would be out of the question.

I agree with with Knight. If deliberate sacrilege isnt the motive, I wouldnt get physical. But if someone were going to desecrate the Eucharist, or a wiccan were to steal it, I would do anything to stop them.

[quote name='thedude' post='1199917' date='Feb 18 2007, 08:21 PM']I am assuming you find yourself in this situation? Why does the non-Catholic want to receive?[/quote]

i don't presently, but i anticipate it may be a problem, and it has been a problem in the past. Mostly it is a problem with my family members (who do not practice) wanting to receive.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' post='1199918' date='Feb 18 2007, 08:24 PM']i don't presently, but i anticipate it may be a problem, and it has been a problem in the past. Mostly it is a problem with my family members (who do not practice) wanting to receive.[/quote]
You explain what they propose to do is wrong, you can explain to the priest its going to happen. Then the choice is theirs.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1199927' date='Feb 18 2007, 07:33 PM']You explain what they propose to do is wrong, you can explain to the priest its going to happen. Then the choice is theirs.[/quote]

If the priest and the person who intends to sacrilegiously receive do nothing then the faithful Catholic must do [u]something[/u] to intervene. Sacrilege must be stopped. Jesus Christ will reward us for all we do to stop sacrilege.

[quote]In this regard it is well to recall the teaching of the Church. Holy Communion must be received only while one is in the grace of God. Therefore, when one has committed a mortal sin, even if one has repented of it and has a great desire to receive Holy Communion, it is necessary and indispensible to confess oneself first before receiving Holy Communion, otherwise one commits a most grave sin of sacrilege, for which Jesus said to St. Bridget, “there does not exist on earth a punishment which is great enough to punish it sufficiently!”

St. Ambrose said that persons who commit this sacrilege “come into church with a few sins, and leave it burdened with many.” St. Cyril wrote something yet stronger: “They who make a sacrilegious Communion receive satan and Jesus Christ into their hearts — satan, that they may let him rule, and Jesus Christ, that they may offer Him in sacrifice as a Victim to satan.” Thus the Catechism of the Council of Trent (De Euch., v.i) declares: “As of all the sacred mysteries ... none can compare with the ... Eucharist, so likewise for no crime is there heavier punishment to be feared from God than for the unholy or irreligious use by the faithful of that which ... contains the very Author and Source of holiness.”

[url="http://www.fatima.org/joel/jo-pg037.asp"]http://www.fatima.org/joel/jo-pg037.asp[/url][/quote]

Edited by St. Benedict

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='St. Benedict' post='1199941' date='Feb 18 2007, 08:47 PM']If the priest and the person who intends to sacrilegiously receive do nothing then the faithful Catholic must do [u]something[/u] to intervene. Sacrilege must be stopped. Jesus Christ will reward us for all we do to stop sacrilege.[/quote]
You have no right to physically touch another person, or create a scandal by blocking them. It is up to the priest to deal with this, not you.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1199947' date='Feb 18 2007, 07:54 PM']You have no right to physically touch another person, or create a scandal by blocking them. It is up to the priest to deal with this, not you.[/quote]

I'm not ever advocating violence, but I see nothing wrong with blocking them. Would you have blocked the exectioners beating and torturing Jesus or just let them walk on past? I would stand in their way whether or not I would be harmed. The same is occuring today. So you would do nothing then and just let the person commit a sacrilege? I would block the, if need be, to 1) help that person's soul but mainly 2) to protect Our Lord in the Eucharist.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='St. Benedict' post='1199950' date='Feb 18 2007, 08:59 PM']I'm not ever advocating violence, but I see nothing wrong with blocking them. Would you have blocked the exectioners beating and torturing Jesus or just let them walk on past? I would stand in their way whether or not I would be harmed. The same is occuring today. So you would do nothing then and just let the person commit a sacrilege? I would block the, if need be, to 1) help that person's soul but mainly 2) to protect Our Lord in the Eucharist.[/quote]
Again you have no right to block someone in Church. If you did you would be removed and create a scandal during Mass. THe priest is the only one who should be disciplining or refusing Communion to someone. You are laity, remember.

Do you really think Jesus Christ needs protection? I understand the sentiment, but after all He is GOd, and will deal with the culprit. There is a big difference between someone taking Communion unworthiily and someone out to commit actual desecration.

If a non-Catholic or a an unrepentant public sinner were attempting to recieve, I would run and alert the priest.

If someone were attempting to steal the Sacred Host or in any other way harm It, I would go as far as to shoot him if I had a gun, or if I didn't somehow knock him out.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='StThomasMore' post='1199957' date='Feb 18 2007, 09:09 PM']If a non-Catholic or a an unrepentant public sinner were attempting to recieve, I would run and alert the priest.

If someone were attempting to steal the Sacred Host or in any other way harm It, I would go as far as to shoot him if I had a gun, or if I didn't somehow knock him out.[/quote]
First you would have to know someone is non-catholic. If you know they are you can alert the priest, then he handles it from there.

Second how can you determine someone is an unrepentant public sinner, you gonna read their soul or something? What if they went to confession before Mass? You are NOT qualified to decide this.

Third, how would you know someone is going to steal a host ahead of time? Do you carry guns to church on a regular basis? You cannot commit a crime to prevent a crime.

Your zeal is commendable.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1199982' date='Feb 18 2007, 09:30 PM']First you would have to know someone is non-catholic. If you know they are you can alert the priest, then he handles it from there.

Second how can you determine someone is an unrepentant public sinner, you gonna read their soul or something? What if they went to confession before Mass? You are NOT qualified to decide this.

Third, how would you know someone is going to steal a host ahead of time? Do you carry guns to church on a regular basis? You cannot commit a crime to prevent a crime.

Your zeal is commendable.[/quote]

i agree
:)