An Old School Catholic Message Board

No Such Thing As Protection

Didymus

I noticed on the question sheet you have to fill out when giving blood that out of the 5-10 questions on there that had to do with sexual contact, not one of them brings the question of 'protection.' Apparently we're suppose to believe that condoms will save lives, but then why would they not be able to take the blood of someone who had protected sex? It's obvious to me.

So much of the medical world would take to the grave this false belief that 'condoms save lives,' but they can't even support it by categorizing 'protected' sex separately from 'unprotected' sex. Such a lie.

There is no such thing as protected irresponsibility.

(maybe this should have been open mic material, but des koo)

Edited by Didymus

Yeah I see your point, but even Trojan knows and says that condoms are not perfect for birth control or STIs. One of their commercials even says "besides abstinence, this is the best". They know how well they work and how much the general population is at using them and they are okay with that. Consequently so does the blood bank. It might have been sex with a condom but that doesn't mean it was safe, only safer than not.

I'll take your word on that one ;)
I've never seen that particular ad, only the cliche/billboard type phrases like 'condoms save lives' and the phrase 'safe sex' being associated directly with 'sex with a condom.'

Birgitta Noel

I'd guess that part of the underlying assumption is that a) people [i]don't[/i] always use protection and b) people lie and say that they do. I'd guess that that is more why they are asking the other question rather than "protected? not protected?"

I'm not debating your general point, just their motivations

[quote name='track2004' post='1198170' date='Feb 17 2007, 01:36 PM']Condoms do save lives, but it is only [i]safer[/i] sex.[/quote]

we'd be better if they wouldnt sell them in the first place though. Too many teens suffer now because they thought it would prevent STDs, and I'd bet its far more than the number of teens whose lives were saved because of the condoms.

I don't know, but I bet that the number of people that haven't gotten HIV/AIDS because they were wearing condoms is huge. They were one of the biggest reasons we got the AIDS epidemic under control here in the US.

Was AIDS ever really an epidemic, in the usual sense of the word 'epidemic'? You say that it's under control, but are you just comparing it to other world countries?

Also, AIDS isnt the only STD, and definitely not the most common.

[quote name='track2004' post='1198170' date='Feb 17 2007, 01:36 PM']Condoms do save lives, but it is only [i]safer[/i] sex.[/quote]

How is using a condom considered safe sex. First of all, it has no guarantee of protecting against unplanned pregnancy and absolutely no effect on protection against STDs. People who use them however have experience inability to concieve when they are actually trying to get pregnant because. Tell me, is it better to have "safe sex"; whatever that is, or to wait until marriage and use sex as a gift from God for building up His Church and unification. If I had to place a bet on which is "safer" I would chose the latter. Contraception is an evil tool of the devil used to tear down God's family.

[quote]How is using a condom considered safe sex. First of all, it has no guarantee of protecting against unplanned pregnancy and absolutely no effect on protection against STDs. People who use them however have experience inability to concieve when they are actually trying to get pregnant because. Tell me, is it better to have "safe sex"; whatever that is, or to wait until marriage and use sex as a gift from God for building up His Church and unification. If I had to place a bet on which is "safer" I would chose the latter. Contraception is an evil tool of the devil used to tear down God's family.[/quote]

Indeed, [b]safer[/b] is abstaining from the pleasure even though challenging.