An Old School Catholic Message Board

Official Religion

Resurrexi

Official religion of the State.  

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='Syllabus of Errors condemned by Pope Bl. Pius IX']77. In the present day it is no longer expedient that the Catholic religion should be held as the only religion of the State, to the exclusion of all other forms of worship. -- Allocution "Nemo vestrum," July 26, 1855.

78. Hence it has been wisely decided by law, in some Catholic countries, that persons coming to reside therein shall enjoy the public exercise of their own peculiar worship. -- Allocution "Acerbissimum," Sept. 27, 1852.

79. Moreover, it is false that the civil liberty of every form of worship, and the full power, given to all, of overtly and publicly manifesting any opinions whatsoever and thoughts, conduce more easily to corrupt the morals and minds of the people, and to propagate the pest of indifferentism. -- Allocution "Nunquam fore," Dec. 15, 1856.[/quote]

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Syllabus of Errors condemned by Pope Bl. Pius IX']77. In the present day it is no longer expedient that the Catholic religion should be held as the only religion of the State, to the exclusion of all other forms of worship. -- Allocution "Nemo vestrum," July 26, 1855.

78. Hence it has been wisely decided by law, in some Catholic countries, that persons coming to reside therein shall enjoy the public exercise of their own peculiar worship. -- Allocution "Acerbissimum," Sept. 27, 1852.

79. Moreover, it is false that the civil liberty of every form of worship, and the full power, given to all, of overtly and publicly manifesting any opinions whatsoever and thoughts, conduce more easily to corrupt the morals and minds of the people, and to propagate the pest of indifferentism. -- Allocution "Nunquam fore," Dec. 15, 1856.[/quote]

Do you wish to say that Peter contradicts himself or would you rather say that you misunderstand him?

[quote name='Raphael' post='1203622' date='Feb 23 2007, 05:58 PM']Do you wish to say that Peter contradicts himself or would you rather say that you misunderstand him?[/quote]

You do realize that that quote was taken from the Syllabus of Errors which was a long list of condemned errors. At the top of the quote it said "Syllabus of Errors condemned by Bl. Pius IX". That means that the quotes in the quote box are several anathematized errors.

Edited by StThomasMore

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

The point of a state Religion to so that the correct religion (Catholicism) receives money, and support from the government, allowing it to prosper and grow. It does not necessarily mean that anyone is forced to believe in it (although it could ;) ). If there Catholicism became the state religion, it would be protected by the laws, which would also put all of the false religions in check (ie. making it illegal to convert Catholics, propogate their faiths, or worship publicly).

EcceNovaFacioOmni

[quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' post='1203772' date='Feb 23 2007, 11:38 PM']It does not necessarily mean that anyone is forced to believe in it (although it could ;) ).[/quote]
Do you favor this position? :idontknow:

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

[quote name='thedude' post='1203773' date='Feb 24 2007, 12:44 AM']Do you favor this position? :idontknow:[/quote]

forced conversion?

absolutely not.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='StThomasMore' post='1203768' date='Feb 24 2007, 12:25 AM']You do realize that that quote was taken from the Syllabus of Errors which was a long list of condemned errors. At the top of the quote it said "Syllabus of Errors condemned by Bl. Pius IX". That means that the quotes in the quote box are several anathematized errors.[/quote]
Yes, I realize that. Would you answer my question, please?

kenrockthefirst

[quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' post='1203772' date='Feb 24 2007, 12:38 AM']The point of a state Religion to so that the correct religion (Catholicism) receives money, and support from the government, allowing it to prosper and grow. It does not necessarily mean that anyone is forced to believe in it (although it could ;) ). If there Catholicism became the state religion, it would be protected by the laws, which would also put all of the false religions in check (ie. making it illegal to convert Catholics, propogate their faiths, or worship publicly).[/quote]

This is the position of Islam is Saudi Arabia, which position is, IMHO, correctly decried by the West. What's next? A police force for the Promotion of Virtue and Prevention of Vice, as in Saudi Arabia? When something starts to look like the Taliban or Saudi Arabia, it stinks, again, IMHO.

Catholicism should stand on its own merits because the Catholic Church is the steward of the truth of Jesus Christ, not because it's propped up by the State.

Edited by kenrockthefirst

[quote name='Raphael' post='1204000' date='Feb 24 2007, 02:37 PM']Yes, I realize that. Would you answer my question, please?[/quote]

I think it's absolutely clear by the condemnations in the Syllabus of Errors what the Church teaches on the matter.

philosophette

[quote name='kenrockthefirst' post='1204013' date='Feb 24 2007, 03:51 PM']This is the position of Islam is Saudi Arabia, which position is, IMHO, correctly decried by the West. What's next? A police force for the Promotion of Virtue and Prevention of Vice, as in Saudi Arabia? When something starts to look like the Taliban or Saudi Arabia, it stinks, again, IMHO.

Catholicism should stand on its own merits because the Catholic Church is the steward of the truth of Jesus Christ, not because it's propped up by the State.[/quote]

I absolutely agree. I have a fear of living ANYWHERE with a state religion.

philosophette

[quote name='StThomasMore' post='1204173' date='Feb 24 2007, 06:46 PM']I think it's absolutely clear by the condemnations in the Syllabus of Errors what the Church teaches on the matter.[/quote]

No it isn't. You are being very ambiguous. Would you please say what you think it means?

[quote name='philosobrat' post='1204185' date='Feb 24 2007, 06:24 PM']No it isn't. You are being very ambiguous. Would you please say what you think it means?[/quote]

Why don't you state what [i]you[/i] think it means.

philosophette

[quote name='StThomasMore' post='1204190' date='Feb 24 2007, 07:56 PM']Why don't you state what [i]you[/i] think it means.[/quote]

I do not know what it means because I cannot read it in context.

Now cut out these childish games and just say what you think it means.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='StThomasMore' post='1204173' date='Feb 24 2007, 07:46 PM']I think it's absolutely clear by the condemnations in the Syllabus of Errors what the Church teaches on the matter.[/quote]
I know it's clear what the Church teaches. I wasn't asking you what the Church teaches. Please answer my question.