An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Role Of Women In The Church

philosophette

Do you feel that the men of PhatMass can be seem mysogonistic at times, although that may not be their intention?  

74 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Birgitta Noel

[quote name='Revprodeji' post='1198680' date='Feb 17 2007, 09:59 PM']Why are you clapping?

lil way, How, in a practical sense would you have it so women could take an active role in the leadership direction of the church? There are the rare examples when a woman was influencial, but these are very, very rare. The fact that I can name the amount of significant female theologians on one hand is very sad. I am far from a feminist, I am far from a liberal; but in all practical purpose is the church truly utlizing a great assist in its female voice? The church is the mother, I would be very supportive of a motherly voice[/quote]

By the way, I wanted to clarify, I don't think that to have an "active role in the leadership direction of the Church" that you have to be an ordained priest, or a religious of any kind for that matter.

The priesthood is a priesthood of service not of power. Leadership in the sense of which I am speaking is a leadership of example, dialog, teaching (horrors!), prayer and service (AS ALLOWED BY THE CHURCH). I am also not equating leadership with power in the way that many women do. Authority is instituted by Christ and his Church. Leadership is something that we can all practice as humans made in the image of God.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Revprodeji' post='1198680' date='Feb 17 2007, 10:59 PM']Why are you clapping?

lil way, How, in a practical sense would you have it so women could take an active role in the leadership direction of the church? There are the rare examples when a woman was influencial, but these are very, very rare. The fact that I can name the amount of significant female theologians on one hand is very sad. I am far from a feminist, I am far from a liberal; but in all practical purpose is the church truly utlizing a great assist in its female voice? The church is the mother, I would be very supportive of a motherly voice[/quote]
There are women theologians out there. The ones I have read however, were far from faithful to Church teachings. I would love to hear about any good ones out there.

[quote]Those who are unable to recognize the dignity of women, just as those who are unable to treat them with dignity when discussing their roles, contributions, etc. only add to the darkness and are just as guilty of destroying the Church and tearing down the Body of Christ as those who do not treat the sacraments, the priesthood, etc. with appropriate respect.[/quote]

There will always be someone, even within the Church who disrespect different aspects of the Church. Remember the Church members are human and are capable of human error.

Please take comfort if you suffer within your own parish by reading the writings of the current pontiff and our late pontiff on the role of women within the Church. Embrace your cross and offer up your sufferings. Every parish is different, however, I do not agree with your view that the majority of faithful Catholic men on phatmass are "mysogonistic". (probably ones who are ignorant or unfaithful may hold the view)

The Church has her reasons.

Just because people may pervert the reasons, does not take away the original good reason the Church has certain roles for men and women. Also, IMHO there seems to be a more "liberal" stance plaguing the Church at the present moment due to the "hurt" feelings women are feeling, hence some of the liturgical abuses that run rampant in some dioceses. Which is why some parishes are taking a hard stance on it as well, like no more girls serving the altar. (as in my parish)

The example of St. Therese is a rare one I wouldn't use for a debate like this since the circumstances in a convent are different from one of a parish with available altar servers.

Edited by jmjtina

philosophette

[quote name='jmjtina' post='1198752' date='Feb 17 2007, 11:20 PM']The example of St. Therese is a rare one I wouldn't use for a debate like this since the circumstances in a convent are different from one of a parish with available altar servers.[/quote]

We were discussing whether or not women could touch the sacred vessels, not the subject of altar servers.

Edited by philosobrat

Birgitta Noel

[quote name='jmjtina' post='1198752' date='Feb 17 2007, 11:20 PM']There will always be someone, even within the Church who disrespect different aspects of the Church. Remember the Church members are human and are capable of human error.[/quote]

Yes, that's my point, especially my point about this being difficult.

[quote]The Church has her reasons.

Just because people may pervert the reasons, does not take away the original good reason the Church has certain roles for men and women. Also, IMHO there seems to be a more "liberal" stance plaguing the Church at the present moment due to the "hurt" feelings women are feeling, hence some of the liturgical abuses that run rampant in some dioceses. Which is why some parishes are taking a hard stance on it as well, like no more girls serving the altar. (as in my parish)

The example of St. Therese is a rare one I wouldn't use for a debate like this since the circumstances in a convent are different from one of a parish with available altar servers.[/quote]

The liberality you mention is exactly why my proposal above would be a difficult one. It's hard to weed it out and even harder to take the risk of it encroaching to do what one should do, that is, respect the dignity and potential contribution of women in the Church at all levels.

Though St. Therese is a rare example [i]it does show that there are instances where women may legitimately touch the sacred vessels[/i]. I believe there may be more than some here would suggest, but that's not what we're debating here, nor do I intend to enter into a debate on female altar servers. I will note that it's ironic that many traditionalists recognize a domestic role for women, but when it comes to setting or cleaning the altar of the Lord want to shoo them away! :lol_roll: I'd bet Mary helped prepare and set the Passover meal that Christ celebrated on Holy Thursday!