An Old School Catholic Message Board

An Invitation From Marbury

Totus Tuus

[quote name='Totus Tuus' post='1215488' date='Mar 18 2007, 03:12 PM']Exactly! Say, can you give us any quotes from the Dominican Constitutions on the original intent of study in a friar's life? ^_^

By the way, are you friends with any of the postulants at the Sister Servants of the Eternal Word in Birmingham? She mentioned a friend in the Easter Province :)[/quote]

Well, I'm not officially in the Eastern Province yet. They're voting on my application this coming weekend (March 23-24).
I'll get back to you on the constitutions. :)
I knew Sr. Jenny (JGirl) a little bit while we were both in St. Louis.

Sr Mary Catharine OP

[quote name='Totus Tuus' post='1215387' date='Mar 18 2007, 07:51 AM']Forgive me, Sister, but I received that information from a solid Dominican community.[/quote]

Lauren, I don't know the community you heard this from but I know the monasteries of Nuns very well and I've never heard anything like this from any of them. You said, "The Dominicans have become rather starstruck with education, overly much in many cases." That's quite a broad criticism, especially the word, starstruck. I wonder if the community you mention has not had the benefit of the friars for lectures, etc. All the monasteries cherish the gift of learning that the brothers have and from which they pass on the "fruits of their contemplation" to us.

Much of people not living the Faith is from ignorance. In fact, that is one of the huge PLUSES to EWTN--it provides people with an education in the faith that they can't get anywhere else. St. Dominic found when he met the Cathars that people were following them because they were ignorant of their faith. That is the reason why the Order has always valued study. Notice I don't say "education". Dominican don't speak of education but the study of sacred truth. Today, more than ever this knowlege is needed.

Dominicans and Franciscans have 2 different ways of preaching and this has been so from the early days. Oh, by the way, there are batty Dominicans, too!

From the friars constitution (76-77) " St Dominic included study, ordained to the ministry of the salvation of souls, as an essential part of his plan for the Order.
Hence "before all else, study should aim principally and ardently at this: that we might be able to be useful to the souls of our neighbors. " (From the primitive constitution)
By study the brethren consider in thier heart the manifold wisdom of God and prepare themselves for the doctrinal service of the Church and of all mankind. It is all the more fitting that they should devote themselves to study, because from the tradtion of the Order they are more specialy called to cultivate mankind's inclination to Truth.

There are about 2 more pages on study in the life of the friars.

In the beginning of the Order every priory had a lector and every friar was obliged to attend what we would call ongoing formation daily. Even those who were finished with their study and were full time preachers.

Forming minds and hearts to adhere to the truth is one of the greatest acts of charity one can do. We are made to seek God.

Your reply is very informative, Sister; thank you!

I will discuss my statement more with said community, but I do trust the source of the information :)

God reward you for taking time to elaborate more on the meaning of study in Dominican life ^_^

Lauren

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsVEXWvfSi8"]Fr. Kurt Pritzel, OP on Study and Contemplation in the Dominican Order[/url]

Ora et Labora

I don't think my sister met any harm against the Dominicans...in fact I know she didn't! After all, this thread is about her excitement over being able to once more visit a good cloistered [i][/i]Dominican[i][/i] convent. ;)

Sr Mary Catharine OP

[quote name='Ora et Labora' post='1215862' date='Mar 19 2007, 02:22 PM']I don't think my sister met any harm against the Dominicans...in fact I know she didn't! After all, this thread is about her excitement over being able to once more visit a good cloistered [i][/i]Dominican[i][/i] convent. ;)[/quote]

Oh, don't worry! I know that! I certainly didn't think that at all! She's just getting her "training" in being a Dominican! Dominicans are always debating and making distinctions! I felt I had to respond because sacred study is a key element of Dominican life, no matter which branch. For us it is very closely linked to prayer.

I hope yuo have a chance to visit Nashville. You will love it.

Also, if ANYONE is near a Dominican monastery do make a pilgrimage for the jubilee indulgence!

God bless you!
SMCatharine

[quote name='Sr. Mary Catharine' post='1215878' date='Mar 19 2007, 01:38 PM']Also, if ANYONE is near a Dominican monastery do make a pilgrimage for the jubilee indulgence![/quote]

YES, YES! That is precisely the reason Marbury was eager to have me post this thread!

Ora et Labora

[quote name='Sr. Mary Catharine' post='1215878' date='Mar 19 2007, 01:38 PM']I hope yuo have a chance to visit Nashville. You will love it.[/quote]

thank you. :)

[quote name='Sr. Mary Catharine' post='1215878' date='Mar 19 2007, 02:38 PM']Also, if ANYONE is near a Dominican monastery do make a pilgrimage for the jubilee indulgence![/quote]

Wow, I did not know about the Jubilee Indulgence. Are there any special requirements attached to it?

Sr Mary Catharine OP

[quote name='BurkeFan' post='1216436' date='Mar 20 2007, 12:43 PM']Wow, I did not know about the Jubilee Indulgence. Are there any special requirements attached to it?[/quote]

The Holy Father gave it to any of the monasteries of Nuns in the world, S. Sabina and St. Dominic's in Bologna.
Conditions are praying an our Father and creed and prayers for the pope, confession etc. This goes until Epiphany of 2008.
If you go to the US nuns website www.usaopnuns.org you can find the letter to read.

That is really awesome, especially considering I do my best to go to daily Mass at the local Dominican monastery (Farmington Hills).

[quote name='Sr. Mary Catharine' post='1216482' date='Mar 20 2007, 11:08 AM']The Holy Father gave it to any of the monasteries of Nuns in the world, S. Sabina and St. Dominic's in Bologna.
Conditions are praying an our Father and creed and prayers for the pope, confession etc. This goes until Epiphany of 2008.
If you go to the US nuns website www.usaopnuns.org you can find the letter to read.[/quote]

I am visiting Vancouver, B.C. next week and so will be able to go to the Dominican Monastery in Langley. :)