An Old School Catholic Message Board

Phatmassers That Leave Religious Life.

Veritas

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='ofpheritup' post='1192617' date='Feb 12 2007, 11:23 PM']
To those who have entered religious life and have stayed and to those who have left I would like to say....YOUR DISCERNMENT WORKED. Discernment is a time of testing, either way.

If you have "left religious life" you did not fail. We can only fail when we refuse (deliberately) to serve God. How can I express how wonderful I think you are for trying.

Hold you heads up proudly (I mean it) you are my heroes.
God has closed ONE door, not all doors. Go on be courageous, knock again, don't give up, follow your heart. There are many saints who asked again and again. You are in great company.
[/quote]

Seconded, thirded, fourthed :) And very well said.

[quote name='ofpheritup' post='1192617' date='Feb 12 2007, 11:23 PM']
I was discerning a vocation to the religious life. I went to visit a community and God said, "Oh wow, do I have the guy for you." :shock: I kicked, I screamed, I looked ridiculous. I was married December 2006. He is my heart. I couldn't imagine my life without him.
[/quote]

That's... beautiful. Funny and lovely :)

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Veritas' post='1191587' date='Feb 11 2007, 02:15 PM']+

There have been several pm'ers that have entered and then left religious life of late. In light of this, I would just like to ask them, do you think your experience on Vocation Station was helpful? I am a little afraid that our zeal for religious life might encourage a picture that is too idealistic. After all, even though it IS a beautiful way of life, it must be a call -desire and excitement (infatuation) aren't enough. We on our own, can't force a vocation just because we like it and I don't want to enourage an illusion among other young discerners on pm.

That being said, I think it is important to remember that there were many more that have finished their time (postulancy, novitiate, eg) than have left... maybe someone can verify the percentage or numbers?

Thoughts?

Blessings,
V[/quote]

I'm thankful for VS. I'm a pm'er who joined after I left the first community. For me its been a wonderful support, and has encouraged me in my continued discernment.

From experience its not easy admitting to having been part of another community. At least for me there is a sort of "guilt". And I know its really on my part, and my own notions.

Having said that -- I've tried to be honest in my posts; in my eyes I wanted to share my experience not for the "hey look at me" but because I know that there are many young discerners and I want to both encourage and help paint a realistic picture.

I know I went through a stage of looking at religious life through rose colored glasses. I have to also admit that in some ways I had those glasses on when I entered the first time. I'm glad I did though -- because I think if I had seen the whole picture before entering I would have never done it in the first place. And now I'm glad to have had those glasses taken off because this 2nd time around I know what is in store, and I know that He has prepared me for it. Yet I'm sure I'm still wearing some sort of glasses ... and that I won't see quite 100% clearly until I enter the new community.

Finally -- I love the excitement/enthusiasm when someone is entering or visiting. *I* get so excited for the person. And when someone leaves my heart tears because I know what the person could be going through -- yet I know that it is for the person's good. And all of it is good and is what makes VS so special (even when there is post that is less-than-charitable).

Edited by cmariadiaz

Well I love phatmass and although I haven't entered yet, I personally feel the support and zeal helps us get through the door (as totus tuus so beautifully put it) and I think most of us discerning know it's not an affirmative "Yes" it's merely an invitation to enter into an engagement period of further discernment with our dear lord, and as I always say to others who comment on my discernment/entrance is that I really won't know for sure until I Kneel before our lord and say "I DO" for now it is all in his hands.. but wether we stay or leave, our time is never wasted and in the present moment our lords will is being done, by saying yes and discerning we are helping countless souls and growing closer to our dear lord every step of the way and that to me is what is so important, and I have to say I've seen some return and that is beautiful that they feel at home here to return, some don't have family to return too, so it's good to know the Phamily is always there! and I can say if I would not be called to religious life, I will most defiantely return to phatmass and know in my heart that our lord does have a plan and just to be open to his will and as I always have done, just leave myself in his arms and trust him completely!