An Old School Catholic Message Board

Random Story I Heard

dairygirl4u2c

dairygirl4u2c

so i was debating a guy in a chatroom. i was taking the catholic eucharist position. he was doing the typical ignore of point. i was pointing out his ignore etc. he would say don't force the belief. i would say i'm not.. if this seems true look into it etc. then to final the convo... he said he had heard in chrisitan history class a roman and a christian were talking. the roman called him a cannibal which i atfirst thought was good for catholic position. he aid the christian told the soldier their belief was symbolic. i said i never heard that story. he said he'd have to get the papers from his notes which hedn't want to do. i coldn't find it on the net easily anyway. i've heard it all and hve not heard that. anyone heard that before can fill me in?

KnightofChrist

Never heard that story, but its wrong it if really happend or not. The Eucharist is not symbolic. Jesus Christ is the Eucharist.

and yet the reception of the Eucharist is not cannibalism because the substance of His Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity is not under the appearance of his Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinty, but rather that of bread and wine.

Edited by Didymus

I couldn't find an ECF direct quote, but here's a quote from a website which seems to offer a little better context ([url="http://patriot.net/~carey/afa/latinclub/persecution.htm"]link[/url]):[quote]Another reason that the persecution was legal was that Romans believed that the Christians were corrupting public morals. Even though some Romans did not respect Christian morals much, they still accused Christians of corrupting the public morals. Time after time, Christian rituals were perverted in the eyes of the Roman populace so that the people believed that Christianity was an immoral religion. Christians were accused of flagitia (‘heinous crimes') and scelera (‘wicked things') among other charges. Many of these charges stemmed from a misunderstanding of common Christian rituals. Partaking of the Lord's supper was mistaken as cannibalism, greeting each other with a holy kiss was looked upon as lechery, and the active seeking of martyrdom by a few Christians was applied to all its adherents.[/quote]