An Old School Catholic Message Board

Ol' Good Clean (catholic) Fun!

illeat

Hey guys... I need advice! I think I have a calling to the priesthood...but I'm a convert and a lot of the things I use to do for fun and socializing aren't exactly along the lines of someone checkin' out the priesthood. There aren't any young adult programs at my parish, just for the jr. high kids and for the seniors...but nothing in between. You guys know something or have suggestions? I have no friends, 'cause they were bad for my faith. :ohno:

Check around at neighboring parishes, see if there are any that host Spirit and Truth. (www.sandt.org)! Get new friends and plan movie nights with good Catholic movies!

philosophette

Well I dont think that they have to be strictly Catholic movies. The "City of Angels" has a good message and it is not explicitly Catholic.

Are there any neighboring parishes with a youth group? I think that the hard part is to not get too absorbed with the idea of doing only religious seeming things. God is present in normal, everyday life!

[quote name='philosobrat' post='1187698' date='Feb 7 2007, 02:47 PM']
Well I dont think that they have to be strictly Catholic movies. The "City of Angels" has a good message and it is not explicitly Catholic.

Are there any neighboring parishes with a youth group? I think that the hard part is to not get too absorbed with the idea of doing only religious seeming things. God is present in normal, everyday life!
[/quote]

I checked out the youth groups...but I'm 25 and feel out of place. I think I'm looking for like a college level "youth" group :cool: . I feel so isolated :pinch: . Maybe thats my calling...to start a young adult catholic group! :idontknow:

Edited by illeat

Perhaps you can look around your parish or nearby parishes...if you're able to go to daily Mass every now and then, maybe you can find other young adults who go and who'd probably be a positive influence. If you're looking at being a diocesean priest where you are, talk to the vocations director who may be able to introduce you to other young men who are discerning or even to some seminarians from the diocese (depending on how your diocese is geographically spread out of course). Or if you know any priests in the area, you might ask him if he know of any other young adults he could introduce you to.
And, of course, ask Our Lady to help!!

philosophette

[quote name='illeat' post='1187862' date='Feb 7 2007, 08:22 PM']
I checked out the youth groups...but I'm 25 and feel out of place. I think I'm looking for like a college level "youth" group :cool: . I feel so isolated :pinch: . Maybe thats my calling...to start a young adult catholic group! :idontknow:
[/quote]

Is there a college near you? If not perhaps speaking with your parish priest about starting a young adult group could be a good idea. I do not think that God wants you to be alone - He created us as social beings!

Is there a main city near you? There might be a Catholic Underground session, Theology on Tap or something like that.

VeniteAdoremus

If there are any Servidoras around, I would totally check them out... they started a new community in our diocese and they ROCK with "older young people". I'm 22 and one of the youngest. It's a [i]very[/i] nice change. :)

[quote name='viking' post='1187689' date='Feb 7 2007, 11:34 PM']
What are some good Catholic movies?
[/quote]

a good catholic movie is "The song of bernadette"

[url="http://imdb.com/title/tt0036377/"]http://imdb.com/title/tt0036377/[/url]

It is truly a great movie, one of my favorites

[quote name='philosobrat' post='1187975' date='Feb 7 2007, 07:48 PM']
Is there a college near you? If not perhaps speaking with your parish priest about starting a young adult group could be a good idea. I do not think that God wants you to be alone - He created us as social beings!

Is there a main city near you? There might be a Catholic Underground session, Theology on Tap or something like that.
[/quote]

You're right God didn't create us to be alone. So how do I find one of these Underground sessions or Theology on Tap?

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1188275' date='Feb 8 2007, 06:45 AM']
If there are any Servidoras around, I would totally check them out... they started a new community in our diocese and they ROCK with "older young people". I'm 22 and one of the youngest. It's a [i]very[/i] nice change. :)
[/quote]

Who are the Servidoras? And which diocese did they start a new community?

hey, I'm in the seminary.

i'm barely 28 and I realize it is difficult to give up things that are so easily entertaining - like going to bars, flirting with the women, watching bad movies, watching MTV, gettin drunk, gettin crunk, etc.

but man, when God wants ya, he ain't giving up, and that's fo sho. in the army i partied almost every night like it was the last, i did the same in college. then i was struck like paul and all.

so i had to change. and so i did change. it takes work man, it takes effort. but nothing is impossible for God. if he wants the change to occur, he'll make it happen for ya.

anyway,

some good movies to watch are mostly older ones, but really very good ones. we have an 80" projector screen at our seminary, and a theater seat style viewing room. it's fun to watch these oldies on the big screen!

[b]Shoes of the Fisherman
The Confession[/b] (Hitchcock, probably the best)
[b]A Beautiful Life[/b] (New!)
[b]The Cardinal
Fishers of Men[/b] (get this from your diocese,
its a discernment film, 18 mins)

you can have a whole vocation day right at your home!

There are some great dioceses in Texas that need your help too!

Then read Matthew 19:16-30, I especially like vers 29!!

[quote name='geistesswiesenschaften' post='1188646' date='Feb 8 2007, 01:58 PM']
hey, I'm in the seminary.

i'm barely 28 and I realize it is difficult to give up things that are so easily entertaining - like going to bars, flirting with the women, watching bad movies, watching MTV, gettin drunk, gettin crunk, etc.

but man, when God wants ya, he ain't giving up, and that's fo sho. in the army i partied almost every night like it was the last, i did the same in college. then i was struck like paul and all.

so i had to change. and so i did change. it takes work man, it takes effort. but nothing is impossible for God. if he wants the change to occur, he'll make it happen for ya.

anyway,

some good movies to watch are mostly older ones, but really very good ones. we have an 80" projector screen at our seminary, and a theater seat style viewing room. it's fun to watch these oldies on the big screen!

[b]Shoes of the Fisherman
The Confession[/b] (Hitchcock, probably the best)
[b]A Beautiful Life[/b] (New!)
[b]The Cardinal
Fishers of Men[/b] (get this from your diocese,
its a discernment film, 18 mins)

you can have a whole vocation day right at your home!

There are some great dioceses in Texas that need your help too!

Then read Matthew 19:16-30, I especially like vers 29!!
[/quote]

I'm totally feelin' you man! See...that's my problem is I've been in the "club" scene so long that's all I know to for chill time :blink: . But that FISHERS OF MEN flick is something else :shock: ! I recommend it to anyone that's Catholic even, men and women...boys and girls! Check it out! BTW...what seminary are you at? If I go in I heard I'll be heading to St. Patrick's in Menlo Park, Ca.

Edited by illeat

[quote name='magnificat' post='1187969' date='Feb 7 2007, 07:42 PM']
Perhaps you can look around your parish or nearby parishes...if you're able to go to daily Mass every now and then, maybe you can find other young adults who go and who'd probably be a positive influence. If you're looking at being a diocesean priest where you are, talk to the vocations director who may be able to introduce you to other young men who are discerning or even to some seminarians from the diocese (depending on how your diocese is geographically spread out of course). Or if you know any priests in the area, you might ask him if he know of any other young adults he could introduce you to.
And, of course, ask Our Lady to help!!
[/quote]

There are some good ideas... I definately need Our Lady's help finding that right path. :detective:

[quote name='illeat' post='1188818' date='Feb 8 2007, 06:06 PM']
I'm totally feelin' you man! See...that's my problem is I've been in the "club" scene so long that's all I know to for chill time :blink: . But that FISHERS OF MEN flick is something else :shock: ! I recommend it to anyone that's Catholic even, men and women...boys and girls! Check it out! BTW...what seminary are you at? If I go in I heard I'll be heading to St. Patrick's in Menlo Park, Ca.
[/quote]

Listen, I want you to know up front what it is like, so I recommend that you sit down one day in front of the Eucharist and have a little "Come to Jesus" meeting with yourself. If it takes "wall-to-wall" counseling too, then so be it. My philosophy is "Whatever it takes" to make Christ the very center of everything for you is absolutely what is necessary to get through even a semester at Seminary.

I am at the Assumption Seminary [San Antone]. It's kind of "spartan", but that's just the way I like it. I'm sure there are some beautiful places around, but I'm not looking for God in the wind, if you know what I mean! [Isaiah]

I want that deep down, old time religion that nobody has anymore. If you want a good spiritual director - listen to Bishop Fulton Sheen everyday! You can download his stuff and put it on CD and hear it in the car or whatever. Google it.

I've been at Seminary for a year now, and I just saw Fishers of Men. When I saw it, I wasn't shocked though. I thought to myself - THAT'S IT! That's how it's supposed to be!

Good luck in CA! Don't let them utter a word against what is right and good, nor against what is Orthodox for the sake of relevancy, okay man. Becoming a priest, being in the seminary is a fight against pop culture [me first and the gimme gimme's], and there are a lot of people who like to change, er... eradicated what we have. Use your filters, got it, and stand up for what is for God. Nevermind what the liberals will tell ya.

The final thing is this - Learn every word of at least the New Testament. You can't do this work without it. This kid of work is tougher than brain surgery, and certainly more rewarding! [p.s. I'm not at all discounting the praiseworthy value of brain surgeons!!!]