An Old School Catholic Message Board

Filling Out The Application For The Postulate

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

One of the questions on the application has me a bit unclear of what to put, it is rather simple...

"Do you suffer from epilepsy or any contagious disease, or any grave or habitual infirmity?"

Would asthma/allergies be included in this? Also, I don't know if anyone knows anything about [url="http://www.ichthyosis.com/"]ichthyosis[/url], but would this also be included? I am not too sure and I don't have anyone around to ask about it.

AlterDominicus

I know several sisters who have asthma/allergies and carry an inhaler around with them, so you should be okie on that one [hehe, funny I have it to, thats why I landed in the hospital haha] otherwise I am not sure about the other one.

AccountDeleted

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' post='1187090' date='Feb 6 2007, 10:07 PM']
One of the questions on the application has me a bit unclear of what to put, it is rather simple...

"Do you suffer from epilepsy or any contagious disease, or any grave or habitual infirmity?"

Would asthma/allergies be included in this? Also, I don't know if anyone knows anything about [url="http://www.ichthyosis.com/"]ichthyosis[/url], but would this also be included? I am not too sure and I don't have anyone around to ask about it.

[/quote]

I wouldn't think that ichthyosis would be a problem since it isn't contagious and isn't really a "grave infirmity" like epilepsy. And asthma is a treatable condition. I wouldn't answer "yes" to that question if that is all that is wrong.

AlterDominicus

Asthma is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo treatable, for me its been like a million years since I had an asthma problem [otherwise I wouldnt be typing on my bros laptop in the hosp] And everyone pretty much now days have allergies, wheather its a type of plant, food, cold air, certain cleaning item, smoke, medication, sinus, etc...

for me I have bad sinus and am allergic to a couple medications and allergic to peanuts < everything in that category] Thats why I didnt blame sister at smme when for desert it was Peanut Butter Chocolate Cake, it didnt look trusting, you can always tell if something doesnt look trusting. :)

franciscanheart

I think 'habitual' qualifies asthma. I don't think they're asking if it's treatable.. just whether or not it exists.

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

I know that what I have is not grave nor contagious...

Thanks be to God that my Asthma has been extremely well behaved and has been for a number of years now.

Okay, just a quick clarification... Asthma is a habitual condition and ought to be listed as an answer to the question.

The application is just 14 questions, although 3 of the 'questions' are things I need to do (baptism/confirmation certificate, letter of character recommendation, and dental/health exams/records)

May God reward you all for your input and help!

franciscanheart

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' post='1187187' date='Feb 7 2007, 01:39 AM']
Okay, just a quick clarification... Asthma is a habitual condition and ought to be listed as an answer to the question.
[/quote]
In my interpretation, yes. :)

It would be better if they would re-word that question to ask if you have any "serious or chronic medical conditions". "Grave" implies that you could die soon, and "habitual" is just antiquated terminology.
Hopefully there is room to explain chronic conditions so that a community doesn't exclude you too quickly, especially if the medical management of them is relatively simple.

Asthma goes away after a number of years for many people (it went away for me). So I don't know if you could classify [i]all[/i] asthma cases as "habitual" :)