An Old School Catholic Message Board

Teaching About The CC

dairygirl4u2c

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think even most protestants would even agree that we can trace our roots back to the apostles, but would disagree on someof our tradition since then, misunderstanding what has always been.

goldenchild17

yes absolutely. Minus the part about the "current pope" of course. But otherwise definitely. It's a part of history and be taught as such.

Thy Geekdom Come

Yes, factual and historical information should always be reported in history books wishing to report the facts.

That includes the fact that Pope Benedict XVI is the current pope (goes to relevance of the texts to the modern reader)

It's as true as ML started the reformation. We Catholics agree to what they believe. Why shouldn't they agree to the truth that we believe. :idontknow:

I do believe that all history classes should teach that the Holy Catholic was founded by our Lord Jesus Christ, that the First Vicar of Christ was Pope St. Peter the Apostle, and that the current Vicar of Christ and Successor of the Apostle St. Peter is His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI.

I also believe that public schools as found in the United States in the year anno Domini nostri Jesu Chrisi MMVII are immoral, for the Syllabus of Errors by Pope Blessed Pius IX condemns the following as errors:

[quote name='The Syllabus of Errors by Pope Blessed Pius IX']45. The entire government of public schools in which the youth- of a Christian state is educated, except (to a certain extent) in the case of episcopal seminaries, may and ought to appertain to the civil power, and belong to it so far that no other authority whatsoever shall be recognized as having any right to interfere in the discipline of the schools, the arrangement of the studies, the conferring of degrees, in the choice or approval of the teachers. -- Allocutions "Quibus luctuosissimis," Sept. 5, 1851, and "In consistoriali," Nov. 1, 1850.

47. The best theory of civil society requires that popular schools open to children of every class of the people, and, generally, all public institutes intended for instruction in letters and philosophical sciences and for carrying on the education of youth, should be freed from all ecclesiastical authority, control and interference, and should be fully subjected to the civil and political power at the pleasure of the rulers, and according to the standard of the prevalent opinions of the age. -- Epistle to the Archbishop of Freiburg, "Cum non sine," July 14, 1864.

48. Catholics may approve of the system of educating youth unconnected with Catholic faith and the power of the Church, and which regards the knowledge of merely natural things, and only, or at least primarily, the ends of earthly social life. -- Ibid. [/quote]

Knight of the Holy Rosary

The fact that Jesus Christ founded the Catholic Church is historical fact and cannot be disputed.

.....What would be the other side of the story?

dairygirl4u2c

sometimes i wonder if there is one person who makes a point to refuse to speculate in every question i ask..

the other church would be a general christian church... like a non-denominaional one today. i'm sure the non-dems would say that history books should state as fact taht the CC started sometime after jesus acutaully started his church, and claimed falsely to be the church he built.

Edited by dairygirl4u2c

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' post='1185870' date='Feb 5 2007, 10:01 PM']
sometimes i wonder if there is one person who makes a point to refuse to speculate in every question i ask..

the other church would be a general christian church... like a non-denominaional one today. i'm sure the non-dems would say that history books should state as fact taht the CC started sometime after jesus acutaully started his church, and claimed falsely to be the church he built.
[/quote]
Yeah, they claim that, but they really have no solid evidence to back up their case. They disagree as to when exactly this false "Romish" Church supposedly started.

The historical fact is that the Catholic Church is indeed the original Christian Church, and as such, this is ideally what should be taught in schools. Of course, given the political-social situation in America, the chances of this being actually taught in American public schools is close to null.
Of course, ideally, I'd say the public school system should not even exist, but that's a whole 'nother debate.

goldenchild17

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' post='1185870' date='Feb 5 2007, 10:01 PM']the other church would be a general christian church...
[/quote]
Would the church Christ founded be in existance today? Or has it died off long ago?

Knight of the Holy Rosary

[quote]the other church would be a general christian church... like a non-denominaional one today[/quote]

I don't understand what this means. Can you give me an example?

Jesus gave authority to Peter and the Apostles. They in turn past this authority on in an unbroken line of succession.

The Church of the Bible is the 'Pillar and Foundation of Truth'. One truth.
The fruits of Non-denominationalism are disunity and confusion.

Edited by Knight of the Holy Rosary

littleflower+JMJ

hey if ann landers can print it in her newspaper article, then anyone can print the truth :teach: :gradtalk:

I agree with Raph. :):

I would like to hear more *facts* about the Catholic Church.

History, and its books, really underrates us. And us Catholics are all about history. ;):

History books obviously reflect adversely on the Catholic Church. If you consider than when schools were formed and there after text books written... by that time both the UK and the USA were 'far removed' politically from any association with their 'history' and the history of the people that composed the countries. There was still and I believe to this day still exists a back lash in most European colonized countries as well as those of 'Protestant' dmoniation against the Catholic Church. It is convenient to forget that the Catholic Church nurtured so many great artists, scientists and philosophers as well as creating many opportunities for vibrant and enthusiastic debate - perhaps not all through its history but there have been and continue to be great moments of intellectual stimulation to which the Catholic Church was the catylist