An Old School Catholic Message Board

Listening To Worldly Music

dairygirl4u2c

61 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't think someone is a guilty of being a rigorist to say that some music and lyrics are morally wrong. They are morally wrong. This isn't some private choice to blasphem, demoralize other people, preach hate and violence, degrade women, sensualize moral indecency.....these "artist" aren't writing music to listen to themselves in the privacy of their homes. They are producing it for the masses. They are profitting from it.

As far as the affect of music on children and teens in particular the AAP disagrees that these lyrics aren't harmless:

EXPOSURE TO DEGRADING VERSUS NONDEGRADING MUSIC LYRICS AND SEXUAL BEHAVIOR
Teens who listen to music with degrading sexual lyrics are more likely to initiate and engage in more advanced sexual activity, according to the study "Exposure to Degrading Versus Nondegrading Music Lyrics and Sexual Behavior Among Youth." Researchers conducted initial telephone surveys of teens between the ages of 12 to 17, on their sexual behavior and their preference for certain musical artists and types of music and then conducted them again at one year and three years following the initial survey. Those who listened to more degrading sexual content at one year after the initial survey were more likely to initiate intercourse and progress to more advanced levels of non-intercourse sexual activity. In contrast, exposure to music with non-degrading sexual content did not affect teen sexual behavior.

I don't really know Metallica, but I can't stand Eminem and there is a lot of hardcore rap that's just awful. Then again I listen to country music mostly.