An Old School Catholic Message Board

Listening To Worldly Music

dairygirl4u2c

61 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='catholimaniac' post='1184382' date='Feb 3 2007, 11:09 PM']
Metallica sound like they come from the bowels of hell.
[/quote]

Ok, for your sake let's take away the lyrics. The music that they have is so amazing. It's one of a kind! You can't tell me that you can't appreciate that.

I've spent a LONG time trying to acheive the dark unique distortion they have. I finally have gotten pretty close, but its not exact, since they dont use pedals for it.

Edited by Didymus

[quote name='Didymus' post='1184389' date='Feb 3 2007, 11:27 PM']
I've spent a LONG time trying to acheive the dark unique distortion they have. I finally have gotten pretty close, but its not exact, since they dont use pedals for it.
[/quote]

Ah, congrats on that! I don't play guitar (piano player of 10 years :pinch: ) I certainly understand how hard and what a great accomplishment that is.

The talents definitely there. I like the soloing! Overall a little softer than I'd usually listen to, but I'm definitely gonna keep my eye on them. They're just a couple hours South of me, so I might be able to see them live sometime.

[quote name='Didymus' post='1184360' date='Feb 3 2007, 07:45 PM']
WHERE IS THE ALTERNATIVE!!!!![/quote]

I dont think we need to provide alternatives, eminem and his negativity are a genre in hiphop of its own, should we have a negative catholic hiphop rapper that talks about doing drugs, alcohol, etc? I know you might say "thats not why" people listen to Eminem but for a great amount that's exactly why they listen to Eminem. Eminem provides such a rebellion, not because he's the best rapper.

As a matter of fact, in Detroit most people consider Proof [RIP] and Royce Da 5'9" to be a much better lyricist but their record sales are not on his level.

I believe that Catholics should just make good music, simple and plain. Those genuine music lovers, that aren't just listening to it for rebellious content, are going to love it and massively [meaning can be taken two different ways] support it. I'm not saying that I'm a great musician [www.myspace.com/staticidentification] but I attempted to do that with Egyptian Dance, create a very dance-friendly song, without shock and aww content but content that might still be worth listening to and intriguing to listen.

Take most of the "fads" [music wise] that people have gotten into, it wasn't because they were the best musicians, but because of media hype, etc.

Reza

[quote]most of the metallica lyrics can eb taken as bad or portraying simply the darkness, not necessarily promoting it. like master of puppets could be said to portray the harsh reality of drug addiction, or it could be said to glorigy it. i think it's protraying har reality.

there is one song i don't think anyone would argue about it's meaning though. it has a good message in a way overall. but the way it makes the message and words....

if you want to know... look up "so what?" lyrics by metallica in google.

edit: again i reiterate that most of the lyrics prob arent that bad. there's only two that struck my eye offhand as maybe bad. one is am i evil. i think he's really saying he's evil, but i could be misinterpreting it. antoher is "the god that failed". you could say he's talking about frustration and loss of faith, is part of life. but it seems mroe to me he's saying he believes it....

"I see faith in your eyes
Never your hear the discouraging lies
I hear faith in your cries
Broken is the promise, betrayal
The healing hand held back by the deepened nail
Follow the god that failed"[/quote]
I don't see how the lyrics of "Master of Puppets" could be construed as promoting or glorifying drug abuse in any way. The entire song puts it in an extremely negative, hellish light. One becomes a slavish "puppet" to his addiction, which cruelly dominates him and makes his life hell.
"Master of Puppets I'm pulling your strings
twisting your mind and smashing your dreams
Blinded by me, you can't see a thing
Just call my name, `cause I'll hear you scream"

"Master, Master, Where's the dreams that I've been after?
Master, Master, You promised only lies
Laughter, Laughter, All I hear and see is laughter
Laughter, Laughter, laughing at my cries"

"Am I Evil" is a cover - written by other people (forget the original band).

"The God that Failed" is the Metallica song most often cited as proof of them being satanic or anti-Christian, though James Hetfield has repeatedly denied that the song is an attack on Christ or religion.
It was written after James' mother, a devout Christian Scientist (whose religion forbids any medical intervention, but relies on prayer alone), died of cancer after refusing any medical treatment.
The song is basically James venting after this troubling ordeal.
He has said once that it is actually about going on and following God, even after it seems He has failed.

it's not sin, but should not necessarily be discouraged for both. for some ppl it shoud be discouraged but not for very many.

goldenchild17

I don't see a problem with "secular" music, and I won't refuse to listen to a certain artist because some or many of their songs are really bad. Eminem's an example. I think some of his songs are fine, but I do think a lot of his stuff could be sin to listen to. Same for a lot of other artists. But I do think it is at the very least a strong occasion to sin to listen to immoral, or unCatholic music and so would not recommend it and would lean towards it being a sin of some kind, in most cases venial, but [b]possibly[/b] mortal if a person knows how bad it is and chooses to listen anyways.

• 9 months later...

Philippians 4:8 (The Message)

8-9Summing it all up, friends, I'd say you'll do best by filling your minds and meditating on things true, noble, reputable, authentic, compelling, gracious—the best, not the worst; the beautiful, not the ugly; things to praise, not things to curse.
-GOD
----------------------------
(English Standard Version)
8Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think,(dwell), about these things.
-GOD
--------------------------
Philippians 4:7-9 (NAB)
7And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will protect your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
8Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is beautiful, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things.

9The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice/do these things, and The God of peace will be with you.
-GOD, via St. Paul
-
PAX

I dont see how listening to eminem, metallica is a sin. If you take them literally for what their lyrics say then I can see how it could lead to disaster, but I dont think Eminem actually killed his wife 100 times and all the other unthinkable stuff he raps about. Its just shock value.

As for metallica they have quite a few good songs, again nothing that is going to make me go out and take literally. All they have really done was motivate me to practice harder playing the guitar.

[quote name='onathing1' post='1184379' date='Feb 3 2007, 11:07 PM']I would LOVE to find a Christian rock band with a Metallica feel to them. I love Skillet and Thousand Foot Krutch but they just don't have the same feel. I need the Metallica rock with some 'godly' lyrics. And so far every band I have tried has never been able to deliver that.[/quote]

Try Demon Hunter, they're awesome, and they're Christian.