An Old School Catholic Message Board

Listening To Worldly Music

dairygirl4u2c

61 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Not a sin, but discouraged to certain people.

I think some Eminem songs are positive, but overall, there are much better artists out there. I would never encourage my youth group to listen to Eminem.

As for Metallica, listening is not a sin, but I feel the themes open the door for many sins.

So, I would discourage both.

But provide alternatives.

Exactly! Stop hating on Metallica! Most of the people who do it don't even know what they're talking about and take things totally out of context. Besides, why not focus on someone like Marilyn Manson? Or like I said in another thread, give rock a break and why not talk about someone like Justin Timerblake or 50 cent or something?!?!

Edited by onathing1

[quote name='prose' post='1184318' date='Feb 3 2007, 06:34 PM']
Okay, I would discourage all of those and encourage alternatives ;)
[/quote]

No doubt, I'm not against secular music like Evangelicals are, but I'd encourage you to listen to music that's more "real" and not a bunch of sell-outs that don't stand for nothing, use ghost writers, etc.

Reza

Edited by RezaLemmyng

I agree whole heartedly with the fact that it would be better if some of these bands didnt have negative lyrics, but seriously. WHERE IS THE ALTERNATIVE!!!!!

I'm more or less playing devils advocate right now. What am I suppose to encourage people to listen to in the place of metallica? Its obvious with say, eminem, because our own Phatmass rappers have done an excellent job in the Catholic Hip Hop world. But it is extremely difficult to find and maintain Christian heavy metal undergrounds. There is a huge talent deficit in the world of Christian rock. This is something that bothers me so much. We seem to be having to resort to metal bands living thousands of miles away in South America just to get a small taste of Catholicism meets metal. However, I'd much rather discuss it in this thread then that 'truth about rock' thread.

Edited by Didymus

dairygirl4u2c

i don't agree there's a lack of christian rock. christian rock is what christian music from here i'm at is famous for. aside from typical gosple type stuff of course. christian rap is like an afterthought.

kutless, spoken, disciple, skillet to name a few.

Edited by dairygirl4u2c

I do like every one of those groups! (well, not so much Kutless I'd rather listen to Thousand Foot Krutch)

but I pine for the day we will actually hear Zack Wylde and Eddie Van Halen sounding solos in Christian rock. Thats my biggest problem. I want grassroots thrash metal with a good Christian message, and I cant find it.

dairygirl4u2c

[quote]most of the metallica lyrics can eb taken as bad or portraying simply the darkness, not necessarily promoting it. like master of puppets could be said to portray the harsh reality of drug addiction, or it could be said to glorigy it. i think it's protraying har reality.

there is one song i don't think anyone would argue about it's meaning though. it has a good message in a way overall. but the way it makes the message and words....

if you want to know... look up "so what?" lyrics by metallica in google.

edit: again i reiterate that most of the lyrics prob arent that bad. there's only two that struck my eye offhand as maybe bad. one is am i evil. i think he's really saying he's evil, but i could be misinterpreting it. antoher is "the god that failed". you could say he's talking about frustration and loss of faith, is part of life. but it seems mroe to me he's saying he believes it....

"I see faith in your eyes
Never your hear the discouraging lies
I hear faith in your cries
Broken is the promise, betrayal
The healing hand held back by the deepened nail
Follow the god that failed"[/quote]

I would LOVE to find a Christian rock band with a Metallica feel to them. I love Skillet and Thousand Foot Krutch but they just don't have the same feel. I need the Metallica rock with some 'godly' lyrics. And so far every band I have tried has never been able to deliver that.

[quote name='catholimaniac' post='1184382' date='Feb 3 2007, 10:09 PM']
Metallica sound like they come from the bowels of hell.
[/quote]

;) yeah, arent they awesome