An Old School Catholic Message Board

Charismatic Movement

Zkelly

Ok, I was having a conversation with a priest the other day about the Charismatic movement in the Church. We were discussing whether or not it produced vocations or just provided kids an excuse to goof off in Church. What are some of your opinions?

Vocations!! The Franciscan Friars of the Renewal (CFRs) are BOOMING in vocations! I love the Charismatic Movement, and I love the traditional side of Catholicism as well. Having one to the exclusion of the other would seriously cripple the beauty of the faith. I've been to a Charismatic Mass before and every single child there was extremely well behaved. I actually think they were more well behaved then in a typical traditional liturgy. Not saying one is better than the other though :) But yes, it is definately producing vocations.

What is wonderful about our church is that it embraces many forms. Charismatics are just one form. Personally I do not prefer their type of services, nor their music. They get rather extreme at times, and their services are not at all meaninful to me. Produce vocations, feel that is doubtful. One or two orders may appear to be doing ok, but in the long run, there is no evidence of their longevity. Some of these people scare me, they seem sincere, but somehow are just a little wacky. This is MY opinion, ok. You may believe what you wish, but to me, I would not advocate involvement.

[quote name='Blessed Imelda Pray for Us' post='1182438' date='Feb 1 2007, 06:33 PM']
Vocations!! The Franciscan Friars of the Renewal (CFRs) are BOOMING in vocations! I love the Charismatic Movement, and I love the traditional side of Catholicism as well. Having one to the exclusion of the other would seriously cripple the beauty of the faith. I've been to a Charismatic Mass before and every single child there was extremely well behaved. I actually think they were more well behaved then in a typical traditional liturgy. Not saying one is better than the other though :) But yes, it is definately producing vocations.
[/quote]

Actually, I was discerning the CFR's before entering the diocesian seminary. I stayed in their novitiate friary for about a week and found them to be very traditional and not very charismatic. True, some of them are charismatics and they do like to have a lot of youth things that, IMHO, appear to be charismatic but I found none of this at any of their Masses. So, I don't think they're an accurate measuring stick on witch to measure the charismatic movement.

(please note that I'm not making a judgement about the Charismatic movement, but just saying that the CFR's can't represent it in the Church as a whole.)

+

I have seen huge fruits in the field of vocation stem from the charismatic movement. Here in the twin cities we have SPO, NET, and CCR, Lifeteen, which produces much, e.g.

franciscanheart

[quote name='Blessed Imelda Pray for Us' post='1182438' date='Feb 1 2007, 05:33 PM']
[/quote]

I would say in response this:
[quote name='Zkelly' post='1182575' date='Feb 1 2007, 07:51 PM']
Actually, I was discerning the CFR's before entering the diocesian seminary. I stayed in their novitiate friary for about a week and found them to be very traditional and not very charismatic. True, some of them are charismatics and they do like to have a lot of youth things that, IMHO, appear to be charismatic but I found none of this at any of their Masses. So, I don't think they're an accurate measuring stick on witch to measure the charismatic movement.

(please note that I'm not making a judgement about the Charismatic movement, but just saying that the CFR's can't represent it in the Church as a whole.)
[/quote]

AND.... I think the CFRs (Friars and Sisters) are booming because of their radical way of life. They live very much as Jesus lived, serving as Jesus served -- which happens to be the way Saint Francis lived his life. Francis wanted to live like Christ and live like Christ he did! Our (and I say our because I have a Franciscan heart and I know, one day, will be a vowed Franciscan (either as a religious or in the third order)) holy father was an amazing example of living like Christ lived in spite of being human.

I think that is why the CFRs are booming.

They are active/contemplative and I think that's huge. They dedicate two hours a day to silence and meditation and one whole day a week to it as well. Not to mention that mornings are generally quiet and meditative. Their Masses are quite opposite what you will find at a Youth 2000. With little to no music, there is no jumping or skipping or hand-swaying. This is not to say that these things are bad (okay, some of it's bad) but that this is not what you will find in the convents.

The CFRs are dedicated to orthodoxy and service of God's beloved poor. THAT's why the CFRs are booming. :saint:

[quote name='hugheyforlife' post='1182636' date='Feb 1 2007, 10:13 PM']
I would say in response this:
AND.... I think the CFRs (Friars and Sisters) are booming because of their radical way of life. They live very much as Jesus lived, serving as Jesus served -- which happens to be the way Saint Francis lived his life. Francis wanted to live like Christ and live like Christ he did! Our (and I say our because I have a Franciscan heart and I know, one day, will be a vowed Franciscan (either as a religious or in the third order)) holy father was an amazing example of living like Christ lived in spite of being human.

I think that is why the CFRs are booming.

They are active/contemplative and I think that's huge. They dedicate two hours a day to silence and meditation and one whole day a week to it as well. Not to mention that mornings are generally quiet and meditative. Their Masses are quite opposite what you will find at a Youth 2000. With little to no music, there is no jumping or skipping or hand-swaying. This is not to say that these things are bad (okay, some of it's bad) but that this is not what you will find in the convents.

The CFRs are dedicated to orthodoxy and service of God's beloved poor. THAT's why the CFRs are booming. :saint:
[/quote]

I second that.

VeniteAdoremus

Charismatics are... not my cuppa.

But a friend of mine came back to the Church because of them, so I'm not complaining! :)

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

Not that I find myself to be charismatic or consider myself to be, but I did grow the most spiritually when I went to Stuebenville Conferences and also a number of other youth events. I would hesitate to classify them as being charismatic totally. They have elements of both charismatic and the traditional. Also, the Here I Am Lord conference is a mainly a youth event and it where I heard my call to the religious life, but it too has its share of the traditional. I do believe that the charismatic movement has 'moved' a number of young people to look deeper at what God is calling them to, but this is also part of the new evangelization. There are many factors and I think the charismatic movement has at least a hand in some of it. :)

Charismatics have been around for some time and their popularity seems to come and go. I have attended some of their services in the past, and have been totally turned off by the dramatics. Personally I do not care for the dancing around stuff and when they start speaking in tongues I am trying hard not to laugh.
I do not know a thing about the CFR's. Have seen that video of their profession(I believe that is them), again, I am not judging, but does little for me and I do not feel called to pray in that manner.

franciscanheart

[quote name='alicemary' post='1183584' date='Feb 3 2007, 12:16 AM']
I do not know a thing about the CFR's. Have seen that video of their profession(I believe that is them), again, I am not judging, but does little for me and I do not feel called to pray in that manner.
[/quote]
I'd be interested in knowing which video you're referring to.

I think that the Charismatic plants the seed of faith and opens young people to the possibility of a vocation. Look at those who attend Steubenville Conferences, if they don't enter a seminary, convent or monastery, they leave holier people to be those holy familes we need.

Look at all the vocations that are encouraged thorugh the alleged apparations at Medjugorje beginning with myself. Medjugorje in itself is a bit charismatic but this charism encourages many to follow the radical life of Christ.

In my own experience, the Charismatic movement never touched or affected me in any direct way. I never went to any of the Steubenville Conferences, or was a part of Life Teen, etc. I turned out okay, I think.

beata_virgo_maria

have seen the Charismatic movement work both ways, in many people it leads them to more prayer, adoration, etc. While at the same time the emotional "high" you might call it, can sometimes be over emphasized, along with vocal prayer over contemplative or silent prayer. Not that it's bad at all (vocal prayer) just sometimes it is a little to much in the spotlight for my personal taste.

[quote]Look at those who attend Steubenville Conferences, if they don't enter a seminary, convent or monastery, they leave holier people to be those holy familes we need. [/quote]

ok, first of all, Franciscan U. of Stubenville is a void of vocations. It may help people lead christian lives, but the place is a vocation killer. The archdiocese of Santa Fe sends people there for formation and there is a 90% drop out rate. This is because there is no spiritual focus at Stubenville. The prayer life is all emotionally driven and because everything is co-ed there and priestly discernment quickly falls away. So if Stubenville is going to be an example of anything it's an example of how the charismatic movement kills vocations. Heck, the diocese of Stubenville has less vocations than Columbus!