An Old School Catholic Message Board

Anybody Want To Discuss Holiness Here

FullTruth

[quote name='onlygrace08' post='1181158' date='Jan 31 2007, 01:18 AM']
To the first one, I agree in many ways! There are many things on tv that won't help us to advance in holiness. However, I often watch the programing offered on EWTN (a Catholic network). They have speakers and teachers on there. Also, you can watch the Holy Mass and the Sisters praying the rosary. I think this type of programing does help me to advance in holiness

To the second one, I agree with much of this as well! However, I do think that it is ok, and necessary for women to wear pants in certain occasions. When I was in eighth grade, I realized that I just felt better about myself when I wore a skirt. So, now that is pretty much all I wear. However, I will don a pair of jeans when mowing the grass. ;)

To the last one, I think it is a good thing for women to keep their hair cut longer out of modesty. Also, I think it is important in this society to emphasize the diference between men and women (there is a difference!!!). Longer hair on women helps to do this. However, in no way does that mean that a woman with short hair cannot be holy nor does it mean that she is disobediant to God.

Anna
[/quote]
Anna, this post was not so much about outward appearancee, but inward holiness. The desire to do such a thing. I see from your answers, you too have a desire to be holy before the Lord.

May YHWH bless you for your desire to please him.

[quote name='Fixxxer' post='1181148' date='Jan 31 2007, 01:05 AM']
Their music may not praise God but its certainly not against it. How you worded it you make it sound like anything that dosent praise God is evil. I think you need to open your eyes and not be so freaking closed minded.

If the Lord is your authority in life, you won't cut your hair if your are a girl and will keep your hair short for a man.

Why does that have to be? My grandma does not have long hair and never really has. Is she evil? Is Father Stan Fortuna evil for having long hair? are they against God?
[/quote]
On your triade Fixxxer, I leave you only this arguement.

You said that I have worded my myself saying that any music not praising the lord is against him. That is scriptural.

[quote name='Matthew 12:30']He that is not with me is against me; and he that gathereth not with me scattereth abroad.[/quote]

Any music that doesn't praise the Lord is against him, and any music that doesn't gather with the Lord scatters abroad.

I say repent, and you will see the truth of what I have told you.

On the rest of your tirade. I can not judge the holiness of your Grandmom or the priest you talked about. The lord judges people hearts, and he sees into the dark places which we can not see. Both this priest and your grandmom could have hearts dedicated to serving the Lord.

You don't. You put up excuses that make you feel better, but the Lord doesn't care for excuses. He wants you to serve in holiness and fully submit to the authority of scripture as it concerns holy behaviour, because -

[quote name='Romans 12:1']I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.[/quote]

Repent. Stop listening to the music, and I promise you this Fixxxer, the Lord will bless you for it.

[quote name='Luke 18:28-30']Then Peter said, Lo, we have left all, and followed thee.

And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, There is no man that hath left house, or parents, or brethren, or wife, or children, for the kingdom of God's sake,

Who shall not receive manifold more in this present time, and in the world to come life everlasting.[/quote]

Repent now, leave Rock Music behind, and you will have life everlasting in the world to come.

Edited by FullTruth

[quote name='FullTruth' post='1181167' date='Jan 31 2007, 12:42 AM']
You said that I have worded my myself saying that any music not praising the lord is against him. That is scriptural.
Any music that doesn't praise the Lord is against him, and any music that doesn't gather with the Lord scatters abroad.
[/quote]
Music is just a form of art. A painting does not have to be of God, else it is satanic. A photo of a waterfall is not satanic. A sculpture of a brass snake is not satanic ( ;) ), hence a song about the end of the world or death by metallica is not satanic. Would you also classify music that has no lyrics as satanic?

PS Did Jesus not also said that he who is not against Him is for Him?

[quote name='notardillacid' post='1181172' date='Jan 31 2007, 02:02 AM']
Music is just a form of art. A painting does not have to be of God, else it is satanic. A photo of a waterfall is not satanic. A sculpture of a brass snake is not satanic ( ;) ), hence a song about the end of the world or death by metallica is not satanic. Would you also classify music that has no lyrics as satanic?
PS Did Jesus not also said that he who is not against Him is for Him?
[/quote]
All I will say to you is repent, and you will see what I am saying is the truth.

[quote name='FullTruth' post='1181179' date='Jan 31 2007, 01:16 AM']
All I will say to you is repent, and you will see what I am saying is the truth.
[/quote]
:lol: thank you for that sound refutation. I will immediately turn off bach since his music does not praise God. Don't worry, Mozart is gone too. :)

[quote name='FullTruth' post='1181136' date='Jan 30 2007, 11:43 PM']
I give you no other proof other than I believe in the Christ, and he rose from the dead.

I do not entertain those who seek signs, and for me to prove the things of the spirit. I say repent and make your way holy before the Lord and you will see what I am saying is true.

Fixxer, I want to thank you. You just testified of what I have been saying to others in this post. Holiness is a desire, and you lack it.
[/quote]

How do you know I lack holiness? Why is there not room for both the music that i enjoy be it heavy metal and classical and God?

stop with the "your not holy, because i said so" argument.
seriously why do you even bother saying, "i want to hear peoples opinions" if you refuse to listen to them? why dont you just say, "i want to hear people agree with me unanimously so i can justify my prejudices?"

this is the sort of stuff that gives christians a bad name.

Edited by Jesus_lol

[quote name='Fixxxer' post='1181189' date='Jan 31 2007, 02:32 AM']
How do you know I lack holiness? Why is there not room for both the music that i enjoy be it heavy metal and classical and God?
[/quote]
I will say no more of this Fixxxer. You and all the other mockers can go back to your lives and forget what I am saying here.

On yours and the other's question.

[quote name='1 Corinthians 5:6-8']Your glorying is not good. Know ye not that a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump?

Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us:

Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.[/quote]

Having Rock and Classical music that doesn't honour the Lord, leavens your whole loaf. You have corrupted yourself with things that don't magnify the lord, and because of it your walk with the Lord has been hindered.

I shall pray for you to see the wisdom of the words of the Lord.

For the most part, I have not listened to one worldly rock music band in 9 years, and my walk with the Lord has been blessed by it.

May my testimony encourage you. Put those things away, and make the things of the spirit your only desire, that you may be found in our lord Yeshua/Jesus Christ.

Watching a conspiracy theory video doesn't praise God so it is satanic. Did I follow your logic correctly?

edit: You are right, I should just throw out all my music because a random person on the internet says so, but cannot back up his words with either logic or scripture that actually applies.

Edited by notardillacid

then where exactly do you get your "knowledge" of how satanic it is?

oh wait, that would be from [u]howtoholdaprejudicedopinion.com[/u]

[quote name='notardillacid' post='1181216' date='Jan 31 2007, 03:26 AM']
Watching a conspiracy theory video doesn't praise God so it is satanic. Did I follow your logic correctly?
[/quote]
You're a cleaver one.

I will not go argue with you.

It is not what you do that matters, but why you do it, and the message it brings.

Holiness is a matter of the heart. If you desire to to love YHWH, you will do these things naturally, because you walk in the spirit. Every waking moment is spent in worship of the Lord by doing the work on your job well, because you want to leave a witness to your co-workers, loving your family because you want to leave a witness to them, helping your community because you want to leave a witness to them, keeping good finances because you want to leave a witness to people, reading godly books (The Bible is the only book I read now) because you want to leave a witness, keeping the temple of the Holy Ghost fit and holy because you want to leave a witness, praying and worshipping because you want to leave a witness to the world, being a good and godly friend to people, because you want to leave a witness.

That is what the bible means by the pure of heart. The heart is the center of desire. Where is your desire, because where your desire is, that is what you reap.

You mockers can desire your wordly rock music, as for me I will walk the path of the spirit to leave a witness that I haven't listen to rock music for 9 years, and that my walk with the lord, to live in purity and holiness has allowed YHWH to entrust me with visions, prophecies, and miracles that I will not say for I must decrease and he must increase.

Edited by FullTruth

[quote name='FullTruth' post='1181228' date='Jan 31 2007, 02:40 AM']
You're a cleaver one.
[/quote]
:lol: I wish
[quote]It is not what you do that matters, but why you do it, and the message it brings.[/quote]
I partially agree with you. If you are doing something wrong, your intent doesn't really matter, its still evil. If you do something morally neutral or good, then it matters what your intent is. It seems to me that most listen to rock/classical for the same reason people like a good steak or a cold beer: its pleasing to the senses, not because they worship lucifer. Nowhere does Christ tell us to swear off all that is pleasing to the senses.

[quote name='notardillacid' post='1181239' date='Jan 31 2007, 04:01 AM']
:lol: I wish

I partially agree with you. If you are doing something wrong, your intent doesn't really matter, its still evil. If you do something morally neutral or good, then it matters what your intent is. It seems to me that most listen to rock/classical for the same reason people like a good steak or a cold beer: its pleasing to the senses, not because they worship lucifer. Nowhere does Christ tell us to swear off all that is pleasing to the senses.
[/quote]

Pleasing of the senses, you say.

[quote name='Galatians 5:15-17']This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.[/quote]

Scripture says not to fufill the lust of the flesh, I would say pleasing the senses have a lot to do with the lust of the flesh, and I can prove it further in scripture.

[quote name='1 John 2:15-16']Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.[/quote]

So the Christ didn't say not to deny what pleases the senses, but he said this.

[quote name='Matthew 6:33']But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.[/quote]

Seek the kingdom, and his righteousness and holiness, and total peace in the spirit will be added to you, praise the lord.

[quote name='FullTruth' post='1181248' date='Jan 31 2007, 03:16 AM']
Pleasing of the senses, you say.
Scripture says not to fufill the lust of the flesh, I would say pleasing the senses have a lot to do with the lust of the flesh, and I can prove it further in scripture.
[/quote]
Firstly, I would say that when the Bible references the lustings of the flesh, it refers to [i]sinful[/i] desires. God gave us our human senses, and in the Garden, the senses were perfectly pleasured. Every want was fulfilled. So how can you say all desires should be repressed? They shouldn't. But that doesn't mean we let them run loose. We master ouselves. [b]Everything in moderation![/b]
according to my dictionary (aside from sexual references) [quote]Lust: a passionate or [b]overmastering desire[/b] or craving.[/quote]
I think that is key, right there

[quote][b]So the Christ didn't say not to deny what pleases the senses, [/b]but he said this.
Seek the kingdom, and his righteousness and holiness, and total peace in the spirit will be added to you, praise the lord.[/quote]
Thank you. I'm glad we can agree on something.

FullTruth,

If your interest in this topic comes from a hope of conforming your life to God's Will, I would strongly recommend the following book: [url="http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Devout-Life-Francis-Sales/dp/0385030096/sr=8-1/qid=1170232766/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-0087848-9919312?ie=UTF8&s=books"]Introduction to the Devout Life[/url] by St. Francis de Sales

It's down-to-earth in discussing the spiritual life. I would recommend a few pages at a time, treating it as devotional reading (i.e. not racing to the end).

Quoting Amazon: "One of the great religious masterpieces of all time--a spiritual guide for everyone seeking to live a truly Christian life."

It was a life-changing book for me, and I'm sure you would find good fruit by reflecting on its wisdom.

Edited by Mateo el Feo

KnightofChrist

Many Heavy Metal Bands are satanic, use satanic words, symbols or both. Many famous metal bands do this...

If a band uses satanic words, or symbols nope we should not listen or support that band.

Yet, there are some bands which would not be satanic per say but they do and we know they do promote things which are absolutely contrary to Jesus Christ. If Christ would not listen to it we should not listen to it.

Christ would not enjoy Metallica in many cases their "message" is contrary to His.

But just because a band is "Heavy Metal" does not equal satanic. It is the words they use, and the symbols they mark themselves with.

There are many of Christian Heavy Metal Bands that preach Christ.

Edited by KnightofChrist