An Old School Catholic Message Board

Judas' Death

matthew1618

Matthew 27: 3- 5
3 Then Judas, his betrayer, seeing that Jesus had been condemned, deeply regretted what he had done. He returned the thirty pieces of silver 3 to the chief priests and elders,
4 saying, "I have sinned in betraying innocent blood." They said, "What is that to us? Look to it yourself."
5 Flinging the money into the temple, he departed and went off and [b]hanged[/b] himself.

Acts 1:16- 17
16 "My brothers, the scripture had to be fulfilled which the holy Spirit spoke beforehand through the mouth of David, concerning Judas, who was the guide for those who arrested Jesus.
17 He was numbered among us and was allotted a share in this ministry.
18 He bought a parcel of land with the wages of his iniquity, and [b]falling headlong, he burst open in the middle, and all his insides spilled out.[/b]

WHich one is true. Can someone help me out with this one it's really confusing. :wacko:

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='matthew1618' post='1179798' date='Jan 29 2007, 09:26 PM']
Matthew 27: 3- 5
3 Then Judas, his betrayer, seeing that Jesus had been condemned, deeply regretted what he had done. He returned the thirty pieces of silver 3 to the chief priests and elders,
4 saying, "I have sinned in betraying innocent blood." They said, "What is that to us? Look to it yourself."
5 Flinging the money into the temple, he departed and went off and [b]hanged[/b] himself.

Acts 1:16- 17
16 "My brothers, the scripture had to be fulfilled which the holy Spirit spoke beforehand through the mouth of David, concerning Judas, who was the guide for those who arrested Jesus.
17 He was numbered among us and was allotted a share in this ministry.
18 He bought a parcel of land with the wages of his iniquity, and [b]falling headlong, he burst open in the middle, and all his insides spilled out.[/b]

WHich one is true. Can someone help me out with this one it's really confusing. :wacko:
[/quote]
He hung himself, then split open.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1179814' date='Jan 29 2007, 09:41 PM']
He hung himself, then split open.
[/quote]
That would be consistent with tying a rope to a tree limb and jumping off, especially if he cut himself in the stomach first to quicken the death.

I wonder what official Catholic commentaries, other than the NAB, would say.

[quote name='Raphael' post='1179821' date='Jan 29 2007, 09:47 PM']
That would be consistent with tying a rope to a tree limb and jumping off, especially if he cut himself in the stomach first to quicken the death.

I wonder what official Catholic commentaries, other than the NAB, would say.
[/quote]

O. Sweet. I didn't think about that. Or know that someone could do that.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='matthew1618' post='1179829' date='Jan 29 2007, 09:51 PM']
Or know that someone could do that.
[/quote]
I don't know that they can. :idontknow: I was just speculating.

Haydock Commentary for Acts Ch. 1 Vs. 18

Ver. 18. Possessed a field. Judas is here said to have done, what was done by others, with the thirty pieces of money, the reward of his iniquity. And being hanged, that is, as St. Matthew says, (chap. xxvii. 5.) having hanged himself, he burst asunder. The Greek has it, falling headlong,[3] as perhaps he did, by his judgment of God, from the place or tree where he hanged himself. (Witham) --- Judas did not possess the potter's field, but he furnished the price to buy it, giving back the thirty pieces of silver. (Menochius) --- We often say in common, that we have done what happens in consequence of any action of ours, though it was not in our first intention. (Calmet)

Groo the Wanderer

It doesn't matter. The Bible was not written to be a history book, a science text, nor a play by play biopic...it contains all the Truths necessary for our salvation.

Hanged, fell, whatever. The point is that Judas was so overcome with grief and remorse over what he had done, he was driven mad and took his own life. The manner of the taking is tertiary at best.

Always remember that the Gospels were not written from firsthand accounts (except maybe John), but from oral tradition. Sometimes the details may differ because of the background of the writer, the audience, or the intent of the writer. What never changes is the Truth inherent in the holy inspired Word of God. Concentrate on the Truth contained therein, not the literal words.

Sidenote: Good thing for fundys that the phrase 'it was raining cats and dogs' was not used by Paul...it would give 'em fits fitting THAT into Sola Scriptura :rolleyes:

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' post='1180090' date='Jan 30 2007, 04:18 AM']

Sidenote: Good thing for fundys that the phrase 'it was raining cats and dogs' was not used by Paul...it would give 'em fits fitting THAT into Sola Scriptura :rolleyes:
[/quote]

I'm sorry, but not even close.

cmotherofpirl

Hang a dead body in the hot sun long enough, with all the bacteria inside, nasty things happen to it.
Do ya REALLY want to think about this stuff???

It was common when hanging people for them to be decapitated due to the 'fall' - even recently Sadam Husseins half brother suffered the same fate. And likewise look at a dead animal and it swells until it 'breaks open' due to the natural decomposition.

Not a pleasant thought but as said before 'does it really matter?'