An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Sinners

dairygirl4u2c

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

yes. and I'm not Catholic. But, I'm sure that is the Catholic answer.

It isn't like Mass wine was prohibited. That would be different.

As far as ideas....I think somebody in the prohibition might be convinced that alcohol will help with somebody else's "stomach ailment" or "shakes" or utter sadness (read the Proverbs) and then they go and cop some booze for their friend. That would be different than buying alcohol to get drunk. But, maybe it would still be sin. That would be the gray area to me. Because, the NT talks about being subject to earthly authority. Subjection is not an absolute when the earthly authorities ask people to sin. But, stopping with the booze is not really asking that much. To give a goofy illustration.....I like CapNCrunch. BUT if the government banned CapNCrunch, I think I should just accept that. The government would be completely weird to do so. But they would not be asking very much. And obviously, alcohol is much more destructive than CapNCrunch.
In theory, meat could be outlawed in the distant future. Anti-meat arguments are unbiblical and yet can be very compelling in social reasons that would be biblical. That is the same as with alcohol. I don't think Christians would have to protest the meat thing. Yes, they could protest - but not through disobedience. They might have a stash of meat and not feel the least bit guilty. But the government would still not be asking them to fornicate or worship false gods or anything. There could be some medical allowances for meat. And maybe not every type of meat would be banned. At that point, wanting meat for its taste would not be an adequate reason to disobey.

Another thing to ramble on is that smoking a small bit of marijuana in the Netherlands is seen as a gray area by some Christians. I'm sure that some others think it is flat-out okay.

+/- 2 cents

Since the Doctrine of the United Pentecostal Church forbids alcoholic consumption to begin with, I think any prohibition ban would be GODLY! Hence, not only have you broken the laws of the land, but also sinned against God who says not to be drunken, unless for medical reasons.

And even that, I would be suspicious of. After all, if you really believe YHWH is the only authority in the universe, you can say to anything that doesn't bring YHWH glory, such as illness, be thrown in yonder place, and the Illness would have to obey because YHWH is the authority, not the Illness.

But then, I'm a 'Heretic' Modalist, and my opinion really doesn't count for much here.

[quote name='FullTruth' post='1179138' date='Jan 29 2007, 03:41 AM']
you can say to anything that doesn't bring YHWH glory, such as illness, be thrown in yonder place, and the Illness would have to obey because YHWH is the authority, not the Illness.

[/quote]

You will traumatize people with this unbiblical nonsense.

Maybe you will learn the hard way. :weep:

dairygirl4u2c

if not breaking prohibition laws meant alcohol never becoming legal.... is that okay with you people who drink alcohol? one might argue it's the only way to make it legal. i'm sure someone would add that there's gotta be non-breaking law ways... but i'm assuming there was no alternative. thoughts..

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' post='1179148' date='Jan 29 2007, 01:30 AM']
if not breaking prohibition laws meant alcohol never becoming legal.... is that okay with you people who drink alcohol? one might argue it's the only way to make it legal. i'm sure someone would add that there's gotta be non-breaking law ways... but i'm assuming there was no alternative. thoughts..
[/quote]
Breaking godly laws made to bring freedom to the people is not okay.

Now if you were to debate me on if it is godly to force such laws on people, I would have another thing to say.

If YHWH gives us free choice to choose him or choose materialism, mammon, and sin, than I think it would be ungodly to bring such a law into activation.

Let the drunk go his way, and let the saint go his, so that the drunk can see the peace, faith, hope and love of the saint and desire to go the way the saint goes.

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' post='1179148' date='Jan 29 2007, 04:00 AM']
[/quote]

dairygirl,

I think we should just go with the laws of our place and time.
I drink beer. But, I could do without it. It would be a very big burden if I thought that I should never drink beer just because it took sin to make alcohol legal again. It also took sin to get me conceived.

Paddington :)

I think we should respect our country's laws as long as they do not go against the Church. But I wonder, during the prohibition, was the Church forbidden to use wine for the consecration? In that case I think I'd say it would NOT be sinful. Though I guess you could argue that when you actually consume the 'wine' it's blood, not wine...and therefore not subject to the prohibition. :idontknow:

[quote name='Blessed Imelda Pray for Us' post='1179758' date='Jan 29 2007, 08:48 PM']
I think we should respect our country's laws as long as they do not go against the Church. But I wonder, during the prohibition, was the Church forbidden to use wine for the consecration? In that case I think I'd say it would NOT be sinful. Though I guess you could argue that when you actually consume the 'wine' it's blood, not wine...and therefore not subject to the prohibition. :idontknow:
[/quote]

Alcohol was allowed for religious purposes.
[quote]
Section 1. After one year from the ratification of this article the manufacture, sale, or transportation of intoxicating liquors within, the importation thereof into, or the exportation thereof from the United States and all territory subject to the jurisdiction thereof for [b]beverage purposes[/b] is hereby prohibited.[/quote]

[quote name='CatholicCid' post='1179763' date='Jan 29 2007, 08:53 PM']
Alcohol was allowed for religious purposes.
[/quote]

In that case, I'd think it would be wrong to break the law since it does not conflict with the Church. :)