An Old School Catholic Message Board

Jesuit Volunteer Corps

Mateo el Feo

Just for fun, I was looking at the Jesuit Volunteer Corps. I stumbled across an open position they listed to work with the L.A. Free Clinic. Here's the description of the duties:[quote]Founded in 1967, the LA Free Clinic is the nation’s oldest continuously operating free clinic. Its philosophy is that health care and human services are a right and not a privilege. The Clinic provides this service in a caring, non-judgmental environment. The JV will perform daily clinic duties for all patients, which includes intake, scheduling of appointments, walk-in blood pressures, patient referrals, and follow-ups, processing test results, and coordinating clinics. The duties will also include [b]providing appropriate patient education such as birth control education[/b], HIV risk assessment and education, [b]pregnancy options[/b], and counseling. Assess client needs and making appropriate client referrals. Network with social service agencies to obtain information and resources. Update community referral list on an ongoing basis. Qualifications: BA in health-related field or equivalent experience; team-oriented; good organization skills; ability to work with interruptions and with minimal supervision; good verbal and writing skills; sensitive to individuals of diverse backgrounds. Spanish proficiency preferred, but not required.[/quote]I suspect that the LA Free Clinic provided the text, and the JVC website didn't edit it. To be fair, the JVC does list some pro-life opportunities; but I feel that the description above goes against the Catholic Faith.

Some may say that neither patients nor the Jesuit Volunteer necessarily need to be Catholic, but I think that's beside the point.

Comments?

Edited by Era Might

Do Father Joseph Fessio and Father Mitch Pacwa know about this? They should! These two (and they're probably not alone, but from what I've seen they are a distinct minioity) are swimming upstream in a Niagra of Jesuit dissent.

Jay

---------------------------------------
Blessed Father Damien, pray for us!

Edited by Katholikos

[quote]The problem of educational programs in specifically Catholic schools and institutions requires particular attention. These facilities are called to provide their own contribution for the prevention of AIDS, in full fidelity to the moral doctrine of the church, without at the same time engaging in compromises which may even give the impression of trying to condone practices which are immoral, for example, technical instructions in the use of prophylactic devices.

--Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger, "[url="http://www.ewtn.com/library/curia/cdfaids.htm"][u]Letter on AIDS[/u][/url]"[/quote]

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Katholikos' post='1177049' date='Jan 26 2007, 06:21 PM']
Do Father Joseph Fessio and Father Mitch Pacwa know about this? They should! These two (and they're probably not alone, but from what I've seen they are a distinct minioity) are swimming upstream in a Niagra of Jesuit dissent.

Jay

---------------------------------------
Blessed Father Damien, pray for us!
[/quote]
The Bishop of Tyler, TX is also an orthodox Jesuit. I say that because I might be working there in the future.