An Old School Catholic Message Board

Can You Help?

SisterAli

I have come in contact with a lady that ask me if I was going to be a religious sister...I of course said YES! She was asking if I knew of any orders that accept someone that has kids (but they don't live with her), she is divorced. I know of only one order. But could you all help me out? Just post the website or contact information so that I can get it to her!!! I LOVE helping others out with religious life! Ahh....what JOY! It puts in my heart...leading one...closer to JESUS!

Thank you so much!

Ali

Has this person had her marriage annulled? She wouldn't be a candidate for any order that considered a widow or divorced woman until her marriage was annulled.
It would also be helpful to know geographically where she wants to look, and whether a habit wearing order is part of her search.

I believe a habit is a must for her....and location wise...she is open to whatever. I'm not sure if her marriage has been annulled....but I will find that out...either way I'd like to send her some contact information!

Thanks!

I think a requirement would more be that her children are not financially (or otherwise) dependant on her. I don't think she would HAVE to have an annullment.

In addition to wanting to wear a habit, does she feel called to apostolic, contemplative life, a combo? Perhaps she would be attracted by the Visitation/Salesian way of life.

Edited by shortnun

Shortnun, she doesn't know at this point and time if she is called to cloistered, active...way of life...just is interested in vocation to religious life :-)

There is at least one Carmel in the States that does; they accepted my friend's grandmother (who is now the superior). I don't know if they still do, and which Carmel it is. I am guessing she was around forty when they took her but I really don't know. Personally I understand why most Orders don't take people with children, as parents' primary obligation and vocation is to be [i]parents[/i], even if their children are grown or do not live with them.

Let's pray for her to discern God's will with clarity, and if she's called to religious life may Our Lord lead her to the Order she's meant for :)

[quote name='SisterAli' post='1176112' date='Jan 25 2007, 06:47 PM']
I believe a habit is a must for her....and location wise...she is open to whatever. I'm not sure if her marriage has been annulled....but I will find that out...either way I'd like to send her some contact information!

Thanks!
[/quote]

I don't know of any Orders that will take women who are validly married without an annulment.

Edited by Totus Tuus

She can come talk to me. I have a few Cloisterite aspirants who are "annulees." I won't accept a divorced person without an annulment. I believe it's Canon Law--but not sure.

I think the PCPAs take "annulees." Every community will be different--time to go knock on doors.

Blessings,
Gemma

Many of the Bendictines will accept mothers with grown kids. Is she computer literate? If so,, the information is right at her fingertips. How we will pray for her journey!
Alicemary

[quote name='Gemma' post='1176249' date='Jan 25 2007, 09:26 PM']
I think the PCPAs take "annulees." Every community will be different--time to go knock on doors.

[/quote]

You could be right but I don't know of any who were previously married.

The Society of Our Mother of Peace accepts widows, and those with children (the children need to be of age and independant) I do believe they accept divorced with annulments too, and their age limit is 50, one of their sisters is a widow and has children and grandchildren, their spirituality is based on Carmelite and they have both active and contemplative branches and their main apostolate is evangelization. [url="http://www.stlvocations.org/Extreme_Living/motherofpeace.shtml"]http://www.stlvocations.org/Extreme_Living...erofpeace.shtml[/url]

The Handmaids of Nazareth definitely do! Though they must have an annulment. Here's a quote I found of Sixtina's in an old thread:

[quote name='Sixtina87' post='732225' date='Sep 20 2005, 10:23 PM']
[img]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a268/Sixtina87/hand.jpg[/img]

this pic is of the Handmaids of Nazareth. Their habits are of the handmaids..i think of Jesus time, not sure though!!!!! They are a religiosu community made up of widows!!!!! Each Sister has childrena dn live at home with their family!!!! they take 4 vows, poveryt, chaisty, obedience and joy!!!!! theya re great Sisters and very up beat community!!!! i know them quite well!!!! Actulyl i'm suppose ot help one of them out here in October and November!!!!!
[/quote]

And here's the [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=60140&st=0&gopid=1176805&#entry1176805"]Handmaids of Nazareth[/url] thread, that I just bumped up. I knew they accepted older vocations, and widows, but didn't realize they could live at home with their children. Once Sr. Maria Paulina said we, the Handmaids of Nazareth, accept all the rejects! - but in a funny way - not in a bad way. She herself has MS and had been through 2 different religious orders before this. Then one day a HN was staying at the convent she used to be in, and told her they accept people with disabilities, and Sr. MP immediately joined and has been so happy as a Handmaid. She just took her final vows last April. :j

Edited by Margaret Clare

[quote name='Totus Tuus' post='1176366' date='Jan 25 2007, 08:57 PM']
You could be right but I don't know of any who were previously married.
[/quote]

I do. ;)

Saying that. . I think the only 'non valid marriages' are those with a justice of the peace as even marriages in another Christian faith is considered valid; I know of several people attempting to remarry in the Catholic Church who were married before in another religion who had to get an annulment before the could proceed. It is Canon Law for those pursuing religious life to be free to enter.

[quote]Can. 643 §1. The following are admitted to the novitiate invalidly:

1/ one who has not yet completed seventeen years of age;

[b]2/ a spouse, while the marriage continues to exist;[/b]

3/ one who is currently bound by a sacred bond to some institute of consecrated life or is incorporated in some society of apostolic life, without prejudice to the prescript of ? can. 684;

4/ one who enters the institute induced by force, grave fear, or malice, or the one whom a superior, induced in the same way, has received;

5/ one who has concealed his or her incorporation in some institute of consecrated life or in some society of apostolic life.

§2. Proper law can establish other impediments even for validity of admission or can attach conditions.

Can. 644 Superiors are not to admit to the novitiate secular clerics without consulting their proper ordinary nor those who, burdened by debts, cannot repay them.

Can. 645 §1. Before candidates are admitted to the novitiate, they must show proof of baptism, confirmation, and free status.

§2. If it concerns the admission of clerics or those who had been admitted in another institute of consecrated life, in a society of apostolic life, or in a seminary, there is additionally required the testimony of, respectively, the local ordinary, the major superior of the institute or society, or the rector of the seminary.

[/quote]

The above quote was taken from:

[url="http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG1104/__P24.HTM"]Code of Canon Law[/url]

Saying all that, there are many communities who, regardless of the fact that an annulled woman is free to enter religious life, will not accept her into their community. Really, it's a matter of simply looking. Some communities state their qualifications in their websites (will say candidate must be 'never married' or similar), some will state simply that if she's free to enter religious life, free of debt or dependents (and regardless of who has custody, if someone has a child of dependent age, most communities won't accept a candidate, stating that it's too hard on the child)they'll consider her. Some communities, insofar as the marriage/annullment issue is concerned, take the candidate on a case-by-case basis. So truly, she simply has to start looking at various communities and write to whoever she feels she might be called to.

Edited by HisChild