An Old School Catholic Message Board

SMME

HeavenlyCalling

HeavenlyCalling

Okay, I was reading an article a few days ago ( I dont remember where it was ) but it mentioned that an elderly couple in California was donating a 38 acre property to the Sisters of Mary, and that they will be sending three sisters there when there is a place to stay, and hope on day to have a girls high school there. Does anyone know anything about this?
Pax Christi

[quote name='HeavenlyCalling' post='1173050' date='Jan 22 2007, 09:16 AM']
Okay, I was reading an article a few days ago ( I dont remember where it was ) but it mentioned that an elderly couple in California was donating a 38 acre property to the Sisters of Mary, and that they will be sending three sisters there when there is a place to stay, and hope on day to have a girls high school there. Does anyone know anything about this?
Pax Christi
[/quote]
Yup.... [b][url="http://nuns2day.wordpress.com/2007/01/22/sacramento-bee-article-on-women-and-religious-life/"]here's a blog that links to the article[/url][/b]. It includes a reference to the couple in CA>

[quote name='shortnun' post='1173089' date='Jan 22 2007, 04:37 PM']
Yup.... [b][url="http://nuns2day.wordpress.com/2007/01/22/sacramento-bee-article-on-women-and-religious-life/"]here's a blog that links to the article[/url][/b]. It includes a reference to the couple in CA>
[/quote]
Thank you you for sharing this excellent and informative blog. I din't realise that Andrea Jaeger is now an Anglican Dominican Nun .........she is doing wonderful work.

she_who_is_not

[quote name='Jennirom' post='1173119' date='Jan 22 2007, 12:42 PM']
Thank you you for sharing this excellent and informative blog. I din't realise that Andrea Jaeger is now an Anglican Dominican Nun .........she is doing wonderful work.
[/quote]
I was just having a "where is she now?" conversation with a friend regarding Jaeger last week. Now I know.

Sr Mary Catharine OP

[quote name='Jennirom' post='1173119' date='Jan 22 2007, 12:42 PM']
[/quote]

She's not really a Dominican. To be a Dominican you have to recognized as such by the Master of the Order. Pretty neat story, though!

she_who_is_not

[quote name='Sr. Mary Catharine' post='1173147' date='Jan 22 2007, 02:01 PM']
She's not really a Dominican. To be a Dominican you have to recognized as such by the Master of the Order. Pretty neat story, though!
[/quote]

Sister,
I was not aware of that. I had always assumed their was some sort of ecumenical relationship between the Anglican Dominican order and "THE" Dominicans. Should the Anglican order even be calling itself Domincan in that case? I'm just curious as I was a little surprised when I found out about the Anglican dominicans. It seemed pretty ironic to me that they would identify themselves with the Order as St. Dominic was all about the truth of the Church and preaching to the Albigensians and promoting unity, truth, and order within the Church. It always struck me as playing Dominican, dressing up in big brother RC's robes and reading his books. Then again I guess imitation is the highest form of flattery. Just my thoughts.
Peace,
Amanda
P.S. The "Master" of the Anglican Dominican Order is a woman, Elena Thompson, who is parish priest of St. Thomas Aquinas (what a coincidence!) in Georgia. I know almost nothing of her, except she graduated from the seminary at University of the South, which known for producing excellent preachers, though not the most theologically rigorous of the ECUSA seminaries.

Edited by she_who_is_not

AlterDominicus

[quote name='HeavenlyCalling' post='1173050' date='Jan 22 2007, 11:16 AM']
Pax Christi
[/quote]

AH@! I have an awkward feeling I know about this. I hate to say it, but I think the Sisters are getting ready to found a new convent of the sisters, I could wrong - the sisters are capping off at 100 in Ann Arbor, they already have 73 and ten or more will be entering this year - these sisters cant build fast enough for even their own.

Sr Mary Catharine OP

[quote name='she_who_is_not' post='1173167' date='Jan 22 2007, 02:37 PM']
Sister,
I was not aware of that. I had always assumed their was some sort of ecumenical relationship between the Anglican Dominican order and "THE" Dominicans. Should the Anglican order even be calling itself Domincan in that case? I'm just curious as I was a little surprised when I found out about the Anglican dominicans. It seemed pretty ironic to me that they would identify themselves with the Order as St. Dominic was all about the truth of the Church and preaching to the Albigensians and promoting unity, truth, and order within the Church. It always struck me as playing Dominican, dressing up in big brother RC's robes and reading his books. Then again I guess imitation is the highest form of flattery. Just my thoughts.
Peace,
Amanda
P.S. The "Master" of the Anglican Dominican Order is a woman, Elena Thompson, who is parish priest of St. Thomas Aquinas (what a coincidence!) in Georgia. I know almost nothing of her, except she graduated from the seminary at University of the South, which known for producing excellent preachers, though not the most theologically rigorous of the ECUSA seminaries.
[/quote]

Hi! Amanda :) I don't want to hi-jack this thread but the Anglican's shouldn't be calling themselves Dominicans because there is no such thing as Anglican Dominicans. I don't know about any offical "relationship" between Anglicans and the Order. I know that the Archbishop of Cantebury had a "service" at S. Sabina in Rome not too long ago but I believe that that was because there is some sort of general permission that Anglican's can use Roman Catholic Churches. (Why? I have NO IDEA!)
At any rate, one has to have recognition to call oneself Dominican and even within the Dominican Family only the Friars and Nuns can call themselves Order of Preachers. So for example, Nashville, Ann Arbor, Hawthorne, etc. are Dominican Sisters but they wouldn't be called Sisters of the Order of Preachers. BUT THEY ARE STILL DOMINICAN, of course! :)

HeavenlyCalling

[quote name='AlterDominicus' post='1173254' date='Jan 22 2007, 05:05 PM']
AH@! I have an awkward feeling I know about this. I hate to say it, but I think the Sisters are getting ready to found a new convent of the sisters, I could wrong - the sisters are capping off at 100 in Ann Arbor, they already have 73 and ten or more will be entering this year - these sisters cant build fast enough for even their own.
[/quote]
So they would be totally different Order? With a different name and so on?

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='HeavenlyCalling' post='1173373' date='Jan 23 2007, 01:54 AM']
[/quote]

Same Order! Maybe a different congregation, though :)

Sr Mary Catharine OP

[quote name='HeavenlyCalling' post='1173373' date='Jan 22 2007, 07:54 PM']
[/quote]

Probably not. Probably what they are planning are provinces. However, they are not a fully established congregation yet so I don't know how it works when a new community spreads it's wings and starts new houses in other dioceses. I'm sure when they are ready, the DSMME will let us all know! Also, don't forget that while they have lots of sisters in the congregation not many are finally professed.

Still, it's an exciting possibility, isn't it.

HeavenlyCalling

I am a little confused, they already have the missions in AZ and SC, would this be the same thing? Or would this be an other noviciate or something totally different?

[quote name='Sr. Mary Catharine' post='1173293' date='Jan 22 2007, 02:59 PM']
Hi! Amanda :) I don't want to hi-jack this thread but the Anglican's shouldn't be calling themselves Dominicans because there is no such thing as Anglican Dominicans. I don't know about any offical "relationship" between Anglicans and the Order. I know that the Archbishop of Cantebury had a "service" at S. Sabina in Rome not too long ago but I believe that that was because there is some sort of general permission that Anglican's can use Roman Catholic Churches. (Why? I have NO IDEA!)
At any rate, one has to have recognition to call oneself Dominican and even within the Dominican Family only the Friars and Nuns can call themselves Order of Preachers. So for example, Nashville, Ann Arbor, Hawthorne, etc. are Dominican Sisters but they wouldn't be called Sisters of the Order of Preachers. BUT THEY ARE STILL DOMINICAN, of course! :)
[/quote]

If they can't, the active sisters, call themselves Order of Preachers, why are they allowed to have the OP after their names? Just wondering. . . :idontknow: