An Old School Catholic Message Board

When Your Spiritual Director Is A Priest...

passerby

Birgitta Noel

Yes, I don't pay mine, but I often have masses offered for him in honor of his feast day, his ordination anniversary, etc.

Mine also has taken a vow of poverty so I try to see that his needs are met when he goes on a rock/mountain climbing expedition/retreat (ie I get him batteries, bug spray, caribiners) or if he is in need of something to simplify his life and allow him to focus more on spiritual issues. For example once I got him a thumb drive on which to back up his book he was writing when he traveled.

Otherwise I'll just be sure I make regular donations to the Community.

BUT, as others have pointed out, NONE of that is expected. It's just how I choose to do things. :saint:

priests (and nuns!) DO take the vows of castity,[b]poverty[/b] , and obedience!

prayers, like everyone else has said, are probably the best! :saint:

Birgitta Noel

[quote name='stuckinamo' post='1171486' date='Jan 20 2007, 05:49 PM']

prayers, like everyone else has said, are probably the best! :saint:
[/quote]

Not ALL priests take vows of poverty and some, like diocesan priests, receive a salary (albeit a SMALL one). My SD is a member of a religious order so any $ he spends comes from the order and must be approved by the order. That's why I do what I do sometimes.

Ultimately yes, prayers are the best.

Because my school runs a certification in Spiritual Direction program, there are a fair number of spiritual directors in my area. Those who are still taking courses are not allowed to take money as part of their spiritual direction (it has to be a "guided direction" with the help of the director of the program).

As a college student, I never paid my SD. Nor did the thought (like so many others have said) EVER cross my mind!!! The SD I have now is a diocesan priest. And I told him that as a grad student, I was unable to pay him a stipend on a regular basis. And that was fine with him. However, there are some [u]truly excellent[/u], spirit-filled, SDs out there who rely on this as a more direct source of income. For someone who has an official degree (some sort of external recognition of their knowledge/expertise), I can understand their asking for a contribution (of some sort) OR not asking for anything.

Bottom line: I've heard of it, and no, it's not required by any means.

Hope that's helpful. :)

Edited by shortnun

Birgitta Noel

[quote name='shortnun' post='1171741' date='Jan 20 2007, 09:15 PM']
Because my school runs a certification in Spiritual Direction program, there are a fair number of spiritual directors in my area. Those who are still taking courses are not allowed to take money as part of their spiritual direction (it has to be a "guided direction" with the help of the director of the program).

As a college student, I never paid my SD. Nor did the thought (like so many others have said) EVER cross my mind!!! The SD I have now is a diocesan priest. And I told him that as a grad student, I was unable to pay him a stipend on a regular basis. And that was fine with him. However, there are some [u]truly excellent[/u], spirit-filled, SDs out there who rely on this as a more direct source of income. For someone who has an official degree (some sort of external recognition of their knowledge/expertise), I can understand their asking for a contribution (of some sort) OR not asking for anything.

Bottom line: I've heard of it, and no, it's not required by any means.

Hope that's helpful. :)
[/quote]

Excellent point, yes, many do do SD for a living! I'd imagine that if any sort of payment were expected that the SD would be clear about that up front. But if you have any doubts, just ask :saint:

I PM'ed Cappie:

[quote name='cappie']It would depend on the qualifications of the person concerned. I am not a qualified SD and so I would freely help someone, however if someone does SD on a professional basis and by this work supports say their order then a fee can be charged. In Australia it is set by the Congregational Leaders of Religious Institutes and the Australian Catholic Bishops Conference. At present it's $64 AUD per session. I stress it's SD by a person who is qualified and not just giving their opinion (however good that may be). Remember St Paul...The laborer deserves his wages smile.gif but then it's entirely up to the person concerned[/quote]

[quote name='stuckinamo' post='1171486' date='Jan 21 2007, 08:49 AM']

[/quote]

People do eat you know and that usually costs :)

When I looked into a spiritual director years ago I came across a good few who (because they had specific degrees) charged various fees and some were not small. So, it's definitely a practice in the U.S. as well.

LouisvilleFan

Interesting... this came up in a conversation just last night. One girl said she looked into getting a spiritual director, but it cost about $400 (guess that's an annual fee?). Another guy wanted one for priesthood discernment (same reason I have a SD), but was frustrated about not being able to get a recommendation from the list of archdiocese approved SDs. All I know is I got the list, didn't know any of them, so I called one who pastors in the same end of town as my own parish.

My only guess is spiritual direction is on the archdiocese tab for people in discernment for religious life, but others have to pay and that contributes towards the SD's salary.

And I think the other guy grew up Catholic, so he sees red tape in the few places where it doesn't exist. I got a phone number, called it, scheduled an appointment... done deal. Not sure what to tell him.

As for the average person seeking spiritual direction, I think you could find any spiritually mature Catholic (or another Christian, for certain cases) could also be very helpful. If nothing else, get together once a week with one or two other committed Christians so you have a regular opportunity to be intentional about sharing your prayer life with others.