An Old School Catholic Message Board

When Your Spiritual Director Is A Priest...

passerby

Are you supposed to pay him? I know spiritual directors who aren't religious/priest are usually paid and the sisters who I know who do spiritual direction are also paid. Would this apply to a priest as well?

Sorry if this is naive.

Blessings,
J

It all depends on the spiritual director. My director is a priest and he flat out refused to take anything. He says for me to pray for him as he prays for me.

sr_betsy

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='magnificat' post='1170823' date='Jan 20 2007, 02:39 AM']
Hmm...I've actually never heard of paying a spiritual director before...priests or non-priests.
[/quote]

Me neither... I'm actually feeling quite guilty now and I'm wondering whether I should pay mine? :blink: :)

I already planned on giving him a good cigar, since he loves those.

My spiritual director is my priest and I"ve never payed, except in prayers :) but I guess it would depend on the spiritual director.

I have [i]never[/i] heard of paying a spiritual director, whether it's a priest or not. It seems that would be bad idea, because you are exchanging something monetary for something spiritual. It's not like paying for counseling sessions or a psychiatrist. Maybe there are people who pay theirs, but it seems prayers are probably the most worthy exchange :)

Of course, people do pay stipends for having Masses offered, but I think that's a little different. If he's a parish priest you can contribute to the collection. If he's an Order priest you could make donations to the Order. But I don't know that it's appropriate to pay the priest himself.

I could be wrong... maybe we could ask Cappie or Father Brian what they think ^_^

Theologian in Training

[quote name='Totus Tuus' post='1170867' date='Jan 19 2007, 09:34 PM']
I have [i]never[/i] heard of paying a spiritual director, whether it's a priest or not. It seems that would be bad idea, because you are exchanging something monetary for something spiritual. It's not like paying for counseling sessions or a psychiatrist. Maybe there are people who pay theirs, but it seems prayers are probably the most worthy exchange :)

Of course, people do pay stipends for having Masses offered, but I think that's a little different. If he's a parish priest you can contribute to the collection. If he's an Order priest you could make donations to the Order. But I don't know that it's appropriate to pay the priest himself.

I could be wrong... maybe we could ask Cappie or Father Brian what they think ^_^
[/quote]

I have never heard of such a thing. If that is the case, then I owe a lot of priest A LOT of moeny. Can I ask, did someone suggest this or was this something you thought might be a good idea?

If you ever want to give anything to a priest, give him prayers. It is part of what he has been ordained to do, and you really should not feel obligated to have to pay him.

That would be my approach on the whole thing, but, at the same time, I have never had a directee, so I would like to see what cappie thinks as well.

God Bless

Fr. Brian

Okay, saying I "know" was a little misleading. My apologies. It was something that I had heard, second hand through someone. It might have just been an idea of theirs.

Sorry for the confusion, it's been one of those weeks...

Blessings,
J

I had mentioned at my last session, the idea of giving him a book he really liked. And HE said, that he learned from a priest director friend of his, that paying or giving gifts to a SD crossed the line somehow, and blurred the roles. He said that he would only accept gifts at Christmas and on his birthday. . .

But that's just what he said. . .others may feel differently.

God bless you.

franciscanheart

[quote name='magnificat' post='1170823' date='Jan 19 2007, 07:39 PM']
Hmm...I've actually never heard of paying a spiritual director before...priests or non-priests.
[/quote]
Neither have I. :unsure:

[quote name='Totus Tuus' post='1170867' date='Jan 19 2007, 08:34 PM']

[/quote]
Whew. That makes me feel better. :pinch:

[quote name='Theologian in Training' post='1170908' date='Jan 19 2007, 09:32 PM']
I have never heard of such a thing. If that is the case, then I owe a lot of priest A LOT of moeny. Can I ask, did someone suggest this or was this something you thought might be a good idea?

If you ever want to give anything to a priest, give him prayers. It is part of what he has been ordained to do, and you really should not feel obligated to have to pay him.

That would be my approach on the whole thing, but, at the same time, I have never had a directee, so I would like to see what cappie thinks as well.

God Bless

Fr. Brian
[/quote]
Okay... now I'm REALLY relieved. I thought I was doing something wrong by not paying mine!! :huh:

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

I know that for the Charis Silent Retreats they have an optional donation for the spiritual directors that they put on the registration forms. So the idea wasn't totally new to me...

DiscerningSoul

I paid a former sister once but, didn't think I was getting anywhere with her.

However my current one is a priest and I know he doesn't have alot of time most of the time I see him after mass.
I have on a few occations given him Stop&Shop cards to buy food with.

I love my SD and I pray for him always!

:saint:
Jessica
[url="http://www.xanga.com/ADiscerningSoul"]http://www.xanga.com/ADiscerningSoul[/url]
[url="http://blog.myspace.com/147329732"]http://blog.myspace.com/147329732[/url]

PS: you can always buy a nice card of thanks, those are always worth more then money can buy. Prayers are also "Priceless" :bigpray:

I bet they would also like people to pay for Masses to be said for [i]them[/i] ^_^

But maybe more as a gift than as payment for the spiritual direction :)

Edited by Totus Tuus

For my old SD, who was a diocescan priest, my mother and I asked him about this, and he definitely wouldn't accept any pay. But what my mom decided to do is send a check to the "Cardinal's Appeal" (for Cardinal Francis George, whom we love), in thanksgiving for the spiritual direction.

But yeah, with all the directors I've had, I've never paid them in anyway - only prayers. My mom just wanted to ask last time. But what Lauren said, about having Masses offered for them is a great idea!