An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Happens To Mass Wine?

dairygirl4u2c

Regarding non-Catholics, Canon 844 is even a little broader than that. It basically says that a Christian in danger of death may receive sacraments if they show Catholic faith regarding the sacraments in question. E.g., a Baptist on her deathbed who for whatever reason had come to believe what we believe about the Eucharist could receive it.

LouisvilleFan

If that were the case, then it stands to reason they would desire to become Catholic. It would be an extremely rare scenario and something few priests ever encounter during their lifetimes.

[quote name='beatty07' post='1173062' date='Jan 22 2007, 08:44 AM']
Regarding non-Catholics, Canon 844 is even a little broader than that. It basically says that a Christian in danger of death may receive sacraments if they show Catholic faith regarding the sacraments in question. E.g., a Baptist on her deathbed who for whatever reason had come to believe what we believe about the Eucharist could receive it.
[/quote]

I think anyone who wished to recieve the Eucharist on their death bed would have to have the desire to become Catholic and be absolved first before recieving.

Canon 844 par 4:

"If the danger of death is present or if, in the judgment of the diocesan bishop or conference of bishops, some other grave necessity urges it, Catholic ministers administer these same sacraments licitly also to other Christians not having full communion with the Catholic Church, who cannot approach a minister of their own community and who seek such on their own accord, provided that they manifest Catholic faith in respect to these sacraments and are properly disposed."

that's from the vatican website, so I presume the translation is good. I agree with Louisvillefan that desire to be Catholic would seem to be a necessary corollary. I mean, if you really believe that the Eucharist is the Eucharist, you'd be running to the nearest RCIA as fast as you could. You may have noticed, however, that human beings do not always behave with perfect logical consistency. There are all sorts of psychological or sinful blockages that could be in place, without prejudicing the person's faith regarding that particular sacrament. I'm not saying it makes sense, I'm just saying it's possible and it happens.