An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Happens To Mass Wine?

dairygirl4u2c

dairygirl4u2c

the wine that catholics pour down the sink at the end of mass (which is suppose to go to the dirt), if the practice isn't to drink it.. what happens to it in terms of divinity?

is the divinity comingled with the earth?
does it at some point stop being divine? if so, when? it's not like the blood that jesus spilt that was separated from his body.. the blood as the wine is suppose to be everything body blood soul, so you can't say the wine is separated now and so can deteriorate

i guess you could ask the same thing for when the wine after consecration that is accidentally spilt

Edited by dairygirl4u2c

It is absolutely preferrable for the celebrant not to consecrate more Precious Blood than is probable to be consumed by the congregation (or the priest alone, if the congregation only partakes of the Sacred Host).

However, if this is the case, to my knowledge the Precious Blood [i]must[/i] be consumed by the [b]priest[/b] before Mass is over.
To my knowledge, the procedure for extraordinary circumstances is as follows: (i.e., there is too much for the celebrant to consume), the concelebrants or deacons may help, and if absolutely necessary, an extraordinary minister may assist. I don't know what circumstances under which, if any (at least as far as I know) Precious Blood is permitted to remain [i]after[/i] Mass is concluded.

If for some reason Precious Blood must be poured down the secrorium (sink for purifying sacred vessels), and I don't know of any reason why this should ever be done, it must first be diluted with water so that it no longer contains the properties of [i]wine[/i]. If it has been diluted to the point where it no longer contains the properties of wine, the Precious Blood has been "de-consecrated" and may then be poured down the secrorium, into the earth.

I would like to be quickly corrected if this is not a correct answer. I was a sacristan at Our Lady of the Angels Monastery, and the Precious Blood is not administered to the congregation there (It is only consumed by the celebrant(s), deacon(s), and anyone who may have sciliacs disease- so I am not altogether familiar with the incident of having an overabundance of Precious Blood.

Lauren

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' post='1170175' date='Jan 19 2007, 12:31 PM']

i guess you could ask the same thing for when the wine after consecration that is accidentally spilt
[/quote]

There is a particular way of purifying the area onto which Precious Blood has been spilled (God forbid, but sometimes it does happen). One purificator (a linen used at Mass) is used to absorb the Precious Blood, which is in turn soaked in water so that, as I said before, the Precious Blood is diluted to the point that it no longer has the accidents of wine. The area should then be cleaned with a fresh purificator (also to be soaked afterwards) and holy water, and all of this should be carried out with utmost reverence.

cathoholic_anonymous

Lauren is correct. If any of the Precious Blood remains in the chalice at the end of Mass, the priest mingles the wine with some more water and then drinks the rest.

LouisvilleFan

Or, if it's a wedding Mass, you just get one of the groomsmen to polish off the job after everyone's left the sanctuary.

This, of course, is the wrong answer, but my college roommates got a pretty good story out of one of my friends (a Protestant) who was requested by the priest after Mass to help him finish off the wine. My friend told him they weren't supposed to drink before taking pictures, so Father insisted, "But it's the Blood of Christ!" So my friend drank two cups to the priest's one.

I thought it was pretty funny back then... I guess it's still funny in a way, but the priest should've just diluted the wine to deconsecrate it. I think he expected more people to take Communion since the crowd was pretty big, but a lot of us were non-Catholic friends from college.

Knight of the Holy Rosary

Intentionally pouring the Precious Blood down the sacrarium incurs a latae sententie (automatic excommunication).

Edited by Knight of the Holy Rosary

[quote name='Aloysius' post='1170531' date='Jan 19 2007, 04:06 PM']
what you're thinking of, dairy, is when the chalice is cleaned with water: that is poured down the sink into the earth.
[/quote]

One has the option of consuming it himself as well.

[quote]The wine that catholics pour down the sink at the end of mass (which is suppose to go to the dirt), if the practice isn't to drink it.. what happens to it in terms of divinity?
[/quote]

First of all the "wine" which you refer to is not wine, but the Blood of Christ.

[quote name='The Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma by L. Ott'] The Body and Blood of Jesus Christ are truly, really and substantially present in the Eucharist. (De fide.)
Christ becomes present in the Sacrament of the Altar by the transformation of the whole substance of the bread into His Body and the whole substance of the wine into His Blood. (De fide.)[/quote]

[quote]This, of course, is the wrong answer, but my college roommates got a pretty good story out of one of my friends (a Protestant) who was requested by the priest after Mass to help him finish off the wine. My friend told him they weren't supposed to drink before taking pictures, so Father insisted, "But it's the Blood of Christ!" So my friend drank two cups to the priest's one.
[/quote]

God have mercy! Your non-Catholic friend received the Holy Eucharist? Only Catholics are allowed to receive the Sacraments (except of course Baptism, which makes one to be a Christian).

[quote name='The Catechism of St. Pius X']28 Q. What sin does he commit who, conscious that he is not in a state of grace, receives one of the sacraments of the living?
A. He who conscious that he is not in a state of grace, receives one of the sacraments of the living, commits a serious sacrilege.[/quote]

[quote name='StThomasMore' post='1170722' date='Jan 19 2007, 06:12 PM'] Only Catholics are allowed to receive the Sacraments (except of course Baptism, which makes one to be a Christian).
[/quote]

Christian Matrimony is also valid outside of the Catholic Church and is recognized as valid (and not something that needs to be repeated again if the couple converts). This is so because the minsters of the sacrament are not the validly-ordained priest, but the man and woman themselves.

Non-Catholics may receive Holy Communion under some circumstances- under the discretion of the priest. It doesn't sound as if this member's friend's situation was appropriate, however.

[quote name='Totus Tuus' post='1170870' date='Jan 19 2007, 07:42 PM']
Christian Matrimony is also valid outside of the Catholic Church and is recognized as valid (and not something that needs to be repeated again if the couple converts). This is so because the minsters of the sacrament are not the validly-ordained priest, but the man and woman themselves.

Non-Catholics may receive Holy Communion under some circumstances- under the discretion of the priest. It doesn't sound as if this member's friend's situation was appropriate, however.
[/quote]

I understand that those wedding eachother administer the sacrament to eachother, and that Protestant marraiges are valid if they were not of previously divorced persons.

[quote name='The Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma by L. Ott'] The contracting parties in Matrimony minister the Sacrament each to the other. (Sent. certa.)
Every valid contract of Marriage between Christians is of itself a sacrament. (Sent. certa.)
The essential properties of Marriage are unity (monogamy) and indissolubility. (Sent. certa.) CIC 1013, Par. 2.[/quote]

Non-Catholics may never receive Holy Communion, and if they do it is a great sacrilige.

[quote name='The Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma by L. Ott']For the worthy reception of the Eucharist the state of grace as well as the proper and pious disposition are necessary. (De fide as regards the state of grace.) [/quote]

In the training given to Extraordinary ministers of the Eucharist in my diocese they are taught to dilute with water and consume it all before the end of the mass. This is of course when they assist the priest, not [i]instead[/i] of him!

Nothing is ever poured down the sink....

Edited by Ellenita

The Precious Blood is consumed. If necessary it may require more than one person.

In our parish we have a good idea how much will be required so there is little that remains after communion.

Never under any circumstances do we put it down the sink.

With regard to both of the Eucharistic species, the real presence of Christ occurs under the sensible appearance of bread and wine. When the sensible appearance no longer remains, then Christ no longer remains.

That's kind of a facile answer and specific questions will quickly push it past its limits! It's one of those areas where Christ doesn't seem to have revealed an exact answer to every possible contingency.

For illustration, though, we can take an extreme case. If a few molecules from the Precious Blood fall into the ocean and quickly diffuse so that there are millions of gallons between them, then there's no divinity in question anymore. Anyway, a basic rule of thumb is that if the appearances (or accidents) of bread and wine are not present, then Christ is not present. This applies to human digestion too, by the way.

What happens? Does he just leave? When? We don't know that! In cases of doubt, we try to err on the safe side of showing respect.

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='StThomasMore' post='1170722' date='Jan 19 2007, 07:12 PM']
God have mercy! Your non-Catholic friend received the Holy Eucharist? Only Catholics are allowed to receive the Sacraments (except of course Baptism, which makes one to be a Christian).
[/quote]

They had one of those wishy-washy priests. He knew all the groomsmen (including myself) were Protestant and still let us receive Communion. Only one guy chose the blessing, but he was the one who ended up drinking the consecrated wine after Mass.

That was back in my, "I love going to Mass and will probably become Catholic" phase when I hadn't yet learned must about the faith. I used to receive Communion every time I went to Mass because I figured if it really was Christ, He naturally would desire to commune with me through this sacrament. So why not? Eventually, one of my raised-Catholic-turned-Baptist friends introduced me to the Catechism and I found out why not :)

[quote name='StThomasMore' post='1170964' date='Jan 20 2007, 12:29 AM']
Non-Catholics may never receive Holy Communion, and if they do it is a great sacrilige.
[/quote]

Well, it's close to "never," but there are some rare exceptions. The primary one is someone basically on their death bed who desires to become Catholic and wants to receive Holy Communion and Last Rites. Also, as it stands, all Eastern Orthodox are invited to receive Holy Communion from Catholic ministers, if they receive permission from their bishop. Of course, Orthodox bishops aren't likely to grant that permission, but it's a possibility nonetheless.