An Old School Catholic Message Board

Eoc And Catholic Church Sacrament Of Confession

Paddington

They say that Confession in their church is "less legal."
It is another thing to try to get ONE example from them.
Although, some things are different in the procedure of Confession.
I want to know what they actually mean by saying "we're less legal about it."
I have a suspicion that they have nothing to say. I mean...you both have a Code of Canon Law. You both have absolution and penance. This would be better to post on an EOC forum, since they actually have the burden of coming up with something to say. You guys aren't the ones saying anything, in my experience. I won't say that they all are saying that either.

Well, just any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Paddington

cathoholic_anonymous

Some Roman Catholic and Orthodox Christians spend far too much of their time trying to score points off each other. It reminds me of a group of old ladies squabbling over whose flower arrangement they are going to have in the pulpit on Sunday.

"Our Confession is less legalistic."

"But when you make the sign of the cross you look like a bunch of robots."

"I'd rather look like a robot than wear one of those undignified sacks that you make your priests go about in. What happened to proper liturgical dress?"

"What happened to the proper LEADER?"

"Well, you should know. You're the ones who went into schism."

"No, that was you."

And so on.

It makes me get very tired. The Eastern Orthodox and the Roman Catholics have one thing in common that is vitally important: the Holy Eucharist. We don't share this with any other church. If we can't find a road to reconciliation even when we can both bow before each other's Tabernacles, we're in a terrible state.

in the east, an examination of conscience is likely to be based upon the beatitudes. in the west, an examination of conscience is likely to be based upon the ten commandments.

two different perspectives with the same meaning. don't do this, do this. so the west says "I broke this law" and the east says "I didn't do this good"

eastern riters also have a less legalistic perspective. it's a cultural reaction to the same beliefs: we have a roman reaction which categorizes and legalizes (perfectly fine) and they have an eastern perspective which is less categorical of things and tries to deal with things more organically (also perfectly fine)

in any event, it shouldn't be considered a point of substantial disagreement, it's just the organic ways we act in relation to the same substantial belief.

[quote name='Aloysius' post='1170646' date='Jan 19 2007, 08:54 PM']
in the east, an examination of conscience is likely to be based upon the beatitudes. in the west, an examination of conscience is likely to be based upon the ten commandments.

two different perspectives with the same meaning. don't do this, do this. so the west says "I broke this law" and the east says "I didn't do this good"

eastern riters also have a less legalistic perspective. it's a cultural reaction to the same beliefs: we have a roman reaction which categorizes and legalizes (perfectly fine) and they have an eastern perspective which is less categorical of things and tries to deal with things more organically (also perfectly fine)

in any event, it shouldn't be considered a point of substantial disagreement, it's just the organic ways we act in relation to the same substantial belief.
[/quote]

Aloysius,

I believe you that there is something to this idea. But EOC members still have to confess the 10 commandments.

Penitent to Confessor: "I wasn't being very poor in spirit yesterday..."
Penitent to self (looking at floor): "...when I was committing adultery."

That wouldn't be right. Would it?

BUT...I just remembered that I have heard some EOCers claim that they aren't into the mortal/venial thing so much. I wish my memory was better here. Got anything?
Also, when it comes to temporal punishments that can remain....well they don't have purgatory. I guess that idea counts for something too.

Peace,
Paddington

[quote name='Paddington' post='1171204' date='Jan 20 2007, 04:07 AM']

Also, when it comes to temporal punishments that can remain....well they don't have purgatory. I guess that idea counts for something too.
[/quote]The Jews "don't have a purgatory" but they pray for their dead. The Eastern Orthodox "don't have a purgatory," but they, too, pray for their dead.

Those in heaven do not need our prayers and sacrifices. Those in hell cannot be helped. Only those who are between earth and heaven, a state which Catholics call Purgatory, can be helped. So we pray and offer sacrifices for them to help speed them on their journey to heaven.

The Eastern Orthodox have never held a council since the Great Schism to iron out problems and questions, such as "what shall we call this belief?" That's one reason there are different Bibles among different Orthodox groups. >:( It also explains why they pray for their dead without having a name for it.

The Orthodox Study Bible says, in a footnote to 2 Timothy 1:18, "Perhaps Onesiphorus is dead. The [Orthodox] Church has never hesitated to pray for her departed that they may find mercy from God on the Day of the Lord."

The "Day of the Lord" is Judgment Day, of course. And the reason the Orthodox give for not having councils is that everything necessary was decided in the first seven ecumenical councils, which they accept. But in truth, there is no mechanism for calling the various, separate Orthodox Churches of different ethnicities together and no authority over all of them. They need a Pope. :)

Jay

-------------------------
Blessed Father Damien, pray for us!

cathoholic_anonymous

I don't know any Catholics who agonise too much over what classification their sins fall into. If you need Confession (and you always know when you need it - you feel like a cupboard that hasn't been cleaned for ages) you go, praying to the Holy Spirit to give you light. The classifications are there to help you be a good Christian, not to make you worry even more.

dairygirl4u2c

issue 1
do catholics ever, or are they required, to confess when they don't do good? i know not doing good is often a sin of omission.

issue 2
is it a sin of omission most of the time that we live, as we are not doing what we could be doing much all of the time?

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' post='1174115' date='Jan 23 2007, 08:07 PM']
issue 1
do catholics ever, or are they required, to confess when they don't do good? i know not doing good is often a sin of omission.

issue 2
is it a sin of omission most of the time that we live, as we are not doing what we could be doing much all of the time?
[/quote]

dairygirl,

I think about that often. I think it deserves its own thread. Eh? Eh?

:) Paddington