An Old School Catholic Message Board

Adam And Eve...

exquisitebones

exquisitebones

I was thumbing through Genesis the other night. and i was reading the part where adam and eve knew each other, and eve conceived cain and then abel...

and then it goes on to say.. that cain knew his wife and they had a child..
come again? where did said wife come from?
if adam and eve were the only humans... and they had 2 boys.... where did the other wife comefrom? how were more people made?

:idontknow:

exquisitebones

though that was hillarious and made me giggle...
i am serious. how does that work if there are no other humans?

does this make me sound really dumb or something? sorry if it does.

[quote name='exquisitebones' post='1160385' date='Jan 9 2007, 11:38 PM']
though that was hillarious and made me giggle...
i am serious. how does that work if there are no other humans?

does this make me sound really dumb or something? sorry if it does.
[/quote]

no it doesn't make you dumb at all

my match.com comment however doesn't make me sound too good

The Bible doesn't record every child they had. God places a mark on Cain after he kills his brother so that Cain is not killed himself, which means that there would be other children and grandchildren of Adam and Eve in the world.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='exquisitebones' post='1160342' date='Jan 9 2007, 11:30 PM']
I was thumbing through Genesis the other night. and i was reading the part where adam and eve knew each other, and eve conceived cain and then abel...

and then it goes on to say.. that cain knew his wife and they had a child..
come again? where did said wife come from?
if adam and eve were the only humans... and they had 2 boys.... where did the other wife comefrom? how were more people made?

:idontknow:
[/quote]

This should help you...

[b]Radio Replies Volume Two: Man[/b]

[b]575. Are all human beings now on this earth descended from the one couple—Adam and Eve[/b]?

Yes.

[b]576. Adam and Eve had two children, Cain and Abel. Cain killed Abel, and afterwards took a wife. Whence came that wife?[/b]

We are told three things in the Bible concerning this matter, and there is no other source of information. The three things are these: Firstly, that Adam and Eve were the first two human beings on earth. Secondly, that the days of Adam were 800 years, and that he begot sons and daughters. Thirdly, that Cain took a wife. The only possible conclusion is that Cain married a female descendant of Adam. Cain most probably married a sister. He could have married a niece, although that would have involved the prior marriage of a brother and sister.

[b]577. It is against all laws that a brother should marry his sister.[/b]

The marriage of brothers and sisters is against the natural moral law in the present state of the human race. But laws which are normal now need not have obliged when conditions were abnormal. Special conditions demand special laws. And the beginning of the human race is an abnormal thing. God Himself created two human beings and commanded them to increase and multiply. The only possibility was by the intermarriage of their children. And God permitted this as long as it was necessary. He who could create human beings could easily preserve them from the evils usually associated with close intermarriage by a special act of His providence; and, in any case, the children of our first parents were not so closely related to each other as Eve was to Adam.

[b]578. Could it be said that Cain married a female of a pre-existent lower animal species?[/b]

That could not reasonably be maintained. A mother drawn from a lower species would not be capable of producing children fulfilling all the requirements of a higher species. The offspring of such a marriage would not be human beings at all. The only explanation which does not violate reason is that Cain married a female descendant of Adam and Eve within his own species.

[b]579. If there were no other people except Adam and Eve and their family, who were the people that Cain was afraid of in the land of Nod?[/b]

The Bible tells us that Cain went out to dwell in the land of Nod. But this does not mean that he went to an inhabited place. In Hebrew the expression "land of Nod" merely means "land of exile." The verse intends only that Cain fled from the others into exile. He took his wife with him, having married one of the daughters of Adam. Knowing of the command to increase and multiply, he feared that future men, hearing that he had murdered his own brother, would kill him if they found him.

[b]580. If we are all descended from Adam and Eve, how account for essential racial differences, diverse languages, and dispersion to isolated places?[/b]

Essentially all human beings are similar. Racial differences afford no real difficulty against humanity's unity of origin. In fact, all such differences are accidental, not essential. The geographical distribution of peoples even to the most isolated places from a common center is easily accounted for whether by land routes, or by primitive rafts and boats. And the mere fact of such dispersion would give rise to differences in language.

[b]581. If our first parents were white, how did the black races originate?[/b]

There is no evidence to tell us whether Adam was white, black, or between the two, much as the Arabs today. It is certain that all human beings are descended from Adam, whatever their color. How then account for the colors of different peoples? Simply by natural factors, such as climate, operating through thousands of years, the effects becoming permanently ingrained by heredity. As regards color, it is certain that it depends neither upon the blood nor upon the skin itself. Beneath the skin there are pigment cells which are the sources of color, and which are affected by many things, heat, cold, mode of life, etc. Darwin himself admits, in his book "The Descent of Man," that diversity of color is no sound argument at all against the derivation of all men from a common first parent.

[quote]578. Could it be said that Cain married a female of a pre-existent lower animal species?

That could not reasonably be maintained. A mother drawn from a lower species would not be capable of producing children fulfilling all the requirements of a higher species. The offspring of such a marriage would not be human beings at all. The only explanation which does not violate reason is that Cain married a female descendant of Adam and Eve within his own species.[/quote]

He did not marry goat.