An Old School Catholic Message Board

Appropriate Scripture Passages?

awyers

I have been given the most beautiful gift ever...my pastor is going to say a private mass for myself and my family & friends before I leave to enter SMME and has asked that I pick out the readings and psalm. It is a long time away but I need help! Anyone know of some vocation related readings or something that would be appropriate?? I have some favorite passages but I was hoping to get input from ya'll.

Thanks!
Allison

Yessssssssss Isaiah 62 (Emphases mine)

For Zion's sake I will not be silent, for Jerusalem's sake I will not be quiet, Until her vindication shines forth like the dawn and her victory like a burning torch.
1 Nations shall behold your vindication, and all kings your glory; [b]You shall be called by a new name pronounced by the mouth of the LORD.
[/b]3
You shall be a glorious crown in the hand of the LORD, a royal diadem held by your God.
No more shall men call you "Forsaken," or your land "Desolate," [b]But you shall be called "My Delight," and your land "Espoused." For the LORD delights in you, and makes your land his spouse.
[/b]5
[b]As a young man marries a virgin, your Builder shall marry you; And as a bridegroom rejoices in his bride so shall your God rejoice in you.[/b]
2 Upon your walls, O Jerusalem, I have stationed watchmen; Never, by day or by night, shall they be silent. O you who are to remind the LORD, take no rest
And give no rest to him, until he re-establishes Jerusalem And makes of it the pride of the earth.
The LORD has sworn by his right hand and by his mighty arm: No more will I give your grain as food to your enemies; Nor shall foreigners drink your wine, for which you toiled.
But you who harvest the grain shall eat it, and you shall praise the LORD; You who gather the grapes shall drink the wine in the courts of my sanctuary.
3 Pass through, pass through the gates, prepare the way for the people; Build up, build up the highway, clear it of stones, raise up a standard over the nations.
See, the LORD proclaims to the ends of the earth: Say to daughter Zion, your savior comes! Here is his reward with him, his recompense before him.
They shall be called the holy people, the redeemed of the LORD, And you shall be called "Frequented," a city that is not forsaken.

Thank you!!!! That is such a beautiful passage! I have to go sit with that one, there is so much in it, it will keep me going all week :)

It's one of my favorites on religious life, and whenever I read it or hear it in church, it brings forth such strong emotion!

Guest phatdaddy

Wow Denise, that made my eyes water :blush: that was great.

I like Paul's letter to the Philippians:

"Those things I used to consider gain I have now reappraised as loss in the light of Christ. I have come to rate all as loss in the light of the surpassing knowledge of my Lord Jesus Christ. For his sake I have forfeited everything; I have accounted all else rubbish so that Christ may be my wealth and I may be in him, not having any justice of my own based on observance of the law. The justice I possess is that which comes through faith in Christ. It has its orgin in God and is based on faith. I wish to know Christ and the power flowing from his resurrection, likewise to know how to share in his sufferings by being formed into the pattern of his death. This do I hope ythat I may arrive at the resurrection of the dead."

I thnk Mt. chapter 25, I think vs 7 could also work.

God bless you Allison, future bride of Christ.

Love and prayers for you.
Mr. Ray

Thank you Mr. Ray! I forgot how much I loved that passage and how appropriate it is! You and Denise have given me some fantastic passages that will be wonderful to pray with over these next months!

God Bless,
Allison

Consider this one, too:
St. Paul to the Romans, Chapter 12, vs.1-8 (or keep going on through vs.21) I am including only vs. 1-8 here. God bless!

"I exhort you therefore, brethren, by the mercy of God, to present your bodies as a sacrifice, living, holy, pleasing to God--your spiritual service. And be not conformed to this world, but be transformed in the newness of your mind, that you may discern what is the good and acceptable will of God.
By the grace that has been given to me, I say to each one among you: let no one rate himself more than he ought, but let him rate himself according to moderation, and according as God has apportioned to each one the measure of faith. For just as in one body we have many members, yet all the members have not the same function, so we, the many, are one body in Christ, but severally members one of another. But we have gifts differing according to the grace that has been given us, such as prophecy to be used according to the proportion of faith; or ministry, in ministering,; or he who teaches, in teaching; he who exhorts, in exhorting; he who gives, in simplicity; he who presides, with carefulness; he who shows mercy, with cheerfulness."

I like this passage because it ties discernment with the giving of oneself humbly to Christ and his Body the Church.

Mr Ray,

Hi. I hope this isn't considered :hijack: but I thought this scripture was read during the season of Easter, in my mind. It's always been a special passage for me, because the one time I asked for a 'sign' way back when, about a vocation to the religious life, I went to Sunday Mass, and that day, this reading was read.

Imagine my shock when I sat pitying myself, wondering what our Lord wanted of me, wondering what was going on that I desired religious life so much, but for some reason, unable to stay where I was. . .and Lo! that was the first reading. . .only a couple of weeks ago! Now I don't go reading tea leaves or any such nonsense, but it really did make me cry, right during Mass. . . and even though it could simply mean I'm called to offer my life totally to Him, but remain in the world (who knows the particulars. . .He will let me know when it's time), it made me feel . .. not forgotten, you know?

All things aside, the absolute intimacy of this reading makes it my favorite one in the Bible. 'You are not forsaken, and those that deride you, and think you are nothing. . . don't you know, you are HIS intended!'

:love:

God bless!

How about the prophet Habbakuk: How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of one who brings good news..."

Also Micah: This is what Yahweh asks of you to act justly and walk humbly with your God.

ALso, there's always the "rich young man" Gospel.

Whatever you choose, I'm sure it will be a time of grace and beauty for you and your loved ones.

philosophette

I really like Psalm 27:4-14. It seems vocationally appropriate!

[b] 4 One thing I ask of the LORD,
this is what I seek:
that I may dwell in the house of the LORD
all the days of my life,
to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD
and to seek him in his temple.[/b]

5 For in the day of trouble
he will keep me safe in his dwelling;
he will hide me in the shelter of his tabernacle
and set me high upon a rock.

6 Then my head will be exalted
above the enemies who surround me;
at his tabernacle will I sacrifice with shouts of joy;
I will sing and make music to the LORD.

7 Hear my voice when I call, O LORD;
be merciful to me and answer me.

8 My heart says of you, "Seek his [b] face!"
Your face, LORD, I will seek.

9 Do not hide your face from me,
do not turn your servant away in anger;
you have been my helper.
Do not reject me or forsake me,
O God my Savior.
[b]
10 Though my father and mother forsake me,
the LORD will receive me.[/b]

11 Teach me your way, O LORD;
lead me in a straight path
because of my oppressors.

12 Do not turn me over to the desire of my foes,
for false witnesses rise up against me,
breathing out violence.

13 I am still confident of this:
I will see the goodness of the LORD
in the land of the living.

14 Wait for the LORD;
be strong and take heart
and wait for the LORD.

I'm really partial to this chapter of Hosea:
[url="http://www.nccbuscc.org/nab/bible/hosea/hosea2.htm"]http://www.nccbuscc.org/nab/bible/hosea/hosea2.htm[/url]

Psalm 22
23You who fear the LORD, praise Him!
All you descendants of Jacob, honor Him!
Revere Him, all you descendants of Israel!

24 For He has not despised or disdained
the suffering of the afflicted one;
he has not hidden his face from him
but has listened to his cry for help.

25 From You comes the theme of my praise in the great assembly;
[b]before those who fear You, will I fulfill my vows.[/b]

26 The poor will eat and be satisfied;
they who seek the LORD will praise Him—
their hearts shall hearts live forever!

27 All the ends of the earth
will remember and turn to the LORD,
and all the families of the nations
will bow down before Him,

28 for dominion belongs to the LORD
and He rules over the nations.

29 All the rich of the earth will feast and worship;
all who go down to the dust will kneel before Him—
those who cannot keep themselves alive.

30 Posterity will serve Him;
and [u]future generations will be told about the Lord.[/u]

31 They will proclaim His righteousness
to a people yet unborn—
for He has done it.

Edited by Emile James

How about this from the beginning of the book of Jeremiah

[quote]Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I dedicated you, a prophet to the nations I appointed you. "Ah, Lord GOD!" I said, "I know not how to speak; I am too young." But the LORD answered me, Say not, "I am too young." To whomever I send you, you shall go; whatever I command you, you shall speak. Have no fear before them, because I am with you to deliver you, says the LORD.
Then the LORD extended his hand and touched my mouth, saying, See, I place my words in your mouth![/quote]