An Old School Catholic Message Board

Entering The Priesthood At A Later Stage In Life

SJRod55

I have been torn for years between the priesthood and the 'outside' world. At 51 I have come to regret having never taken the plunge and gone where my heart and more particularily my soul has longed to go. But now I am really looking for the life of a religious or to the priesthood, but my age could be the limiting factor.

By the time one reaches 51 you have seen a great deal and matured. I have worked and visited more than 129 different countries over the past 31 years and it has been a wonderful journey. Yet the priesthood was always my vocation, the one I kept walking away from.

I do not live in the USA, I am not American. But I do want to follow the guiding light of my Guardian Angel. So how does one take that step at my age?

Can anyone give some pointers as to where to begin this search, this longing to find finally my place in this life? Soon - in the next 72 hours I will arrive in Tirana, Albania with a population of less than 20% Catholic; 50% Muslim and 10% Orthodox. Italy is a brief flight and presumably many opportunities but can I find pointers to them? Or where to begin the search.

Thank you - please help if you can.

cmotherofpirl

I am sure you with get loads of answers, I just want to say God Bless You!

At sone point can you tell us more about your work in all those countries?

Rod, the internet is an excellent research tool. Have you explored the website of [b][url="http://www.blessedjohnxxiii.edu/index.html"]Blessed John XXIII Seminary[/url][/b]? It's the USA's seminary specifically for older vocations. There's also [b][url="http://www.shst.edu/"]Sacred Heart School of Theology.[/url] [/b]And while you are not an American, they might be able to lead to to resources elsewhere in the world.

Also...[b] [url="http://www.vocations.com/priest/faqolder.html"]FAQ about Older Priestly Vocations[/url]
[/b]
Prayers for perseverence in your vocation! :pray:

Edited by shortnun

A couple years ago there ws a man in his seventies who was ordained a priest. His wife had died some time earlier and his kids were grown. He's also a grandfather. He is stationed in Wakefield England, apparently. So it certainly can be done.

Rod, as stated above, the internet is a wonderful tool, so let your fingers do the walking. We have several priests on board who will be very happy to help in your search. It is not too late so just take the plunge and seek out more information, and pray for guidance!
Alicemary

Thank you all for the support and encouragement. Not being in the States makes this a little harder in that the resources are not quite as advanced or accessible everywhere else. Alas the internet in many places is indeed expensive and slow - rather like the first days back home when it originated in public.

Yes please do help, please send pointers and I will keep you posted on my journey.

God Bless

We will be sharing our most ardent prayers with you, Rod :sign: :bigpray: :sign:

Let us invoke the Cure' D'Ars, who had to go through a lot before he was finally ordained to the holy priesthood.

I hope you get lots of good answers and direction ^_^

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1160146' date='Jan 9 2007, 11:47 PM']
At sone point can you tell us more about your work in all those countries?
[/quote]

I would be happy to write about where I have been and what I have done and just how much has been inspired by Christ. My Saint is undoubtedly St. Francis Xavier whom I unknowingly followed and replicated his journeys. Indeed I was fortunate in 1985 to visit Goa in India and see the mortal remains of St Francis. I was later to discover how much we shared.

I will find a way to share these events with you all in the coming weeks.

Again, many thanks

R

Freudentaumel

Hello,
I saw your post and thought I'd reply. I don't know if it will be of any help.
There is the order SJM (www.sjm-congregation.org), which lives according to the Ignatian rule (although more strictly than the Jesuits of today, more like a Jesuit order before the postconciliar reforms) and says both the old and the new mass. They just crossed my mind because they also are in Albania (although I don't know where), so
perhaps they could help direct you in the right direction. Most of their members today are Gemans and Austrians, and they also only have a German-speaking seminary, so they are possibly not a direct option, but as I said, perhaps they can give you a little help.
They also have some ties to the Opus Angelorum (www.opusangelorum.org), which came to my mind because you explicitly mentioned your guardian angel.

Edited by Freudentaumel

[quote name='Rod' post='1160088' date='Jan 9 2007, 02:22 PM']
I have been torn for years between the priesthood and the 'outside' world. At 51 I have come to regret having never taken the plunge and gone where my heart and more particularily my soul has longed to go. But now I am really looking for the life of a religious or to the priesthood, but my age could be the limiting factor.

By the time one reaches 51 you have seen a great deal and matured. I have worked and visited more than 129 different countries over the past 31 years and it has been a wonderful journey. Yet the priesthood was always my vocation, the one I kept walking away from.

I do not live in the USA, I am not American. But I do want to follow the guiding light of my Guardian Angel. So how does one take that step at my age?

Can anyone give some pointers as to where to begin this search, this longing to find finally my place in this life? Soon - in the next 72 hours I will arrive in Tirana, Albania with a population of less than 20% Catholic; 50% Muslim and 10% Orthodox. Italy is a brief flight and presumably many opportunities but can I find pointers to them? Or where to begin the search.

Thank you - please help if you can.
[/quote]

Glory to Jesus Christ!

The Pontifical Beda College in Rome - boat ride across the water from you ,in Rome,Italy.
---------------------
This College was first founded in 1852 to [b]form older men, for Catholic priesthood.[/b] They came only for four years, because they were seen to have significant knowledge and experience already.

Today the character of the community has changed. Although the Beda remains under the [b]responsibility of the Bishops of England [/b]and Wales, it has opened its doors to receive men from English-speaking countries worldwide. However, the e[b]ssential mission remains the same: to help older men harness and develop their experience and knowledge in the service of the Gospel as Catholic priests.[/b]
[url="http://www.bedacollege.com/index.htm"]http://www.bedacollege.com/index.htm[/url]

Edited by Emile James

VeniteAdoremus

Hi Rod,

My dad was accepted into the seminary at 56, although he didn't finish it. There's even a special seminary for "late vocations" in the Netherlands, where you can take the first part of your studies while continuing your regular job! So there's certainly a possibility.

What you should do is talk to the rector of your local seminary, he'll know everything. Your parish priest probably knows how to get in touch with him.

God bless you! We need as many priests as we can get - and those with life experience not less than others! :D:

puellapaschalis

I know at least three priests who have studied at the Beda in Rome. Super priests and they only have good things to say about their alma mater :)

Love and prayers,

PP

Thank you ALL for such leads. I am following through on them now. I have only just arrived in Albania and therefore will settle down a little and follow through quickly. If you all do not mind I will keep you posted on the progress as this might be of interest to other 'late developers.'

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Rod' post='1163451' date='Jan 13 2007, 03:59 AM']
Thank you ALL for such leads. I am following through on them now. I have only just arrived in Albania and therefore will settle down a little and follow through quickly. If you all do not mind I will keep you posted on the progress as this might be of interest to other 'late developers.'
[/quote]
this is from Cardinal Seans blog this week
"The Vocations Office is also planning discernment retreats the first weekend in February. A vocation discernment day for men over 40 years old will be held on Feb. 1 at Blessed John XXIII National Seminary in Weston, and a discernment weekend for men ages 18-40 will be held at St. John’s Seminary in Brighton from Feb. 2-3. I will be present at both retreats and I hope that we have a good turnout at these very important events for our Archdiocese. Anyone interested can register by contacting the Vocations Office at 617-746-5949 or www.vocationsboston.org."

[url="http://cardinalseansblog.org/"]http://cardinalseansblog.org/[/url]

Even though you are half a world away you can email their office for more ideas.